Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:23 PM

41 posts, read 40,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
If you want to look good, get on the elliptical and you will look good.

Lifting weights is about proving to you that you can do it. Every day in the weight room you should be at war with yourself. If your body cannot, you should hate your body and want to destroy it until it cooperates. Usually when I'm lifting, I get so amped that I'm angry, and want to bash anyone I see. When I say bend that bar, you gotta try with all your might as you do the deadlift. Get angry. See yourself in the mirror and get so angry you want to pick up a weight and beat yourself or anyone who crosses you to death.
Ha, I enjoy your description of what it means to lift. I don't doubt that feeling. And it certainly makes sense for men. I started with that mentality when I decided to focus on weight training. But I still like to look and feel like a woman - and, yes, I know I'll never get that muscular body of a man regardless how heavy I go, so I shouldn't worry about lifting heavy. But my conservative (female) mind gears towards avoiding injury, first and foremost. My wrist injuries, for example, were due to falls and my clumsiness, so that pain lingers on certain days, and my goal is also not to exacerbate it unnecessarily. Lifting heavier has helped a bit, but recently had a set back when I loosely picked up a heavy weight - without a warm up or wrist straps - and I'm still waiting for it to heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
You cannot know that 135lb's is safe for this person. Especially if she is just starting out. Injury should be avoided at all costs. Baby steps are needed until one has proper form and is able to lift safely.
Yes, you got to build up to weights that could easily be just about equal to your own bodyweight. It will not happen over night, so do not expect one day you suddenly lift 100 and then suddenly the day after, you now life 115/20... I am a man, but I realize there are some limitations and someday you may have to go lighter, to have s fager and better workout.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Quote:
Usually when I'm lifting, I get so amped that I'm angry, and want to bash anyone I see. When I say bend that bar, you gotta try with all your might as you do the deadlift. Get angry. See yourself in the mirror and get so angry you want to pick up a weight and beat yourself or anyone who crosses you to death.
You go you ferocious animal you....

(Background music to Michael Jackson song)
You wanna be tough, better do what you can
Don't wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man
but you wanna be bad .....

Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
you want to pick up a weight and beat yourself or anyone who crosses you to death.
Just beat it (beat it), beat it (beat it)

Old 02-22-2023, 07:19 AM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
You go you ferocious animal you....

(Background music to Michael Jackson song)
You wanna be tough, better do what you can
Don't wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man
but you wanna be bad .....
Stop it, you're turning me on.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Stop it, you're turning me on.
Try here to be reserved to some extent to the more strange range of folk....but yuck.
Out of here....(pretend barf emoji attached)

Old 02-22-2023, 08:46 AM

310 posts, read 322,973 times
Quote:
There are two kinds of people. Those who think they cannot, and those who think they can. They're usually both right.

If you think you're weak, you will always be weak. You need to hate being so weak you're prepared to punish your body for being weak.

One thing you need to know about deadlifts is you need to pull so hard on the barbell that you feel like you want to bend the bar around your torso. You need to feel your muscles in your upper back burn as you squeeze your shoulder blades together trying to bend that bar, your hands need to want to crush that bar as well. More weight your upper body supports, less your lower back supports.
Okay drill sergeant you seem to have all the answers. If you were my personal trainer I would fire you in a heartbeat.
You have zero knowledge of this person and her capabilities yet you tell her what she must do.
For the record I have been exercising my whole life and am fit. I also know how to injure myself, and how to succeed.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:04 AM

41 posts, read 40,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Okay drill sergeant you seem to have all the answers. If you were my personal trainer I would fire you in a heartbeat.
You have zero knowledge of this person and her capabilities yet you tell her what she must do.
For the record I have been exercising my whole life and am fit. I also know how to injure myself, and how to succeed.
I really don't think we should take it to this extend. He simply gave me some ideas and info, as well as opinions. No need to assume accountability or blame for any exercise going wrong. I asked for routine ideas and received them. I don't know why we should assume everything should be taken so literally.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:32 AM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena727 View Post
I really don't think we should take it to this extend. He simply gave me some ideas and info, as well as opinions. No need to assume accountability or blame for any exercise going wrong. I asked for routine ideas and received them. I don't know why we should assume everything should be taken so literally.
Thank you, but no need to defend me. I found it hilarious luckyme thought I would be their PT

Old 02-22-2023, 11:05 AM

33,223 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena727 View Post
Thanks for the detailed suggestions, I'll look to add them to the workout schedule I'm getting together.
Quick question:

Regarding deadlifts - I tried with a barbell weight of 15 pounds and though I thought I got it down right, I tend to get lower back pain a few times after the workout. Not enough to bother me, but enough to know it's there. It does subside. But I don't do them as often though. I tried lowering the weight but it felt like I wasn't doing anything. So when I come up with the lift, I clench my belly and butt, correct? I do 3 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 12 if I push. Not sure why the lower back pain...should I do three sets of 10 daily?

Also with the plank: It's still a challenge. I hold it for 30 sec, but do I raise my butt a bit and do a bit of a curve as I'm on my elbows? Or is the body supposed to completely parallel to the floor?
Regarding the deadlift, while it is important to use good form in any movement, it is particularly important to have good form in the deadlift and there are a number of things to keep in mind. With that in mind I selected the video below concerning the proper way to do the deadlift. I hope you'll watch it and apply what it says in your deadlifts. Stay safe.

How To Deadlift with Proper Form - The Best Technique Checklist and Common Mistakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beo24Plj1dc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness