Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 41,085 times

Advertisements

So I went for my annual physical 2 weeks ago. My bloodwork came back normal as usual, meaning everything within range.

But I noticed the following:

I want to build upper body strength so I decided to add more protein to my diet. I am not much of an eater, and blessed with the fact that I don't gain weight. I hover between 118 - 125 pds during the year, and currently 122 pds at 5'4
I also added whey protein to my diet. I don't know why, but I did it at the suggestion of the college kids that I hire to work with me at work (and the fact that they actually think I'm around their age.) I also added electrolytes to my drinks every now and then, Core Protein shakes (maybe 3 - 4 a month,) green protein powders, vanilla protein shakes with fruit and some oatmeal that I powdered as well and had those as breakfast. I basically eat a Mediterranean diet, but not much pasta, and avoid meats wed/fri. I also eat full fat dairy when I have it.

My goal was somewhat attained - my belly is almost toned to where I want it, but needs a bit more work. Doc even felt my abs during the check-up, which gave me confidence that they are emerging. And my arms are almost there too.

But what concerned me was that my cholesterol went to 175 from 153, and my sugar went to 90 from 75.
The doctor said don't change a thing and continue as you are doing.

But the 175 cholesterol was not what I was expecting. The sugar was probably that high because I was indulging in some holiday sweets that I do every year.

What I want to ask is - should I do away with the whey protein? I have read now that it raises cholesterol. I used an organic whey powder, and quite honestly I think I went through 3/4 of a jug. I had a woman's protein powder that I was finishing too.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 03:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena727 View Post
So I went for my annual physical 2 weeks ago. My bloodwork came back normal as usual, meaning everything within range.

But I noticed the following:

I want to build upper body strength so I decided to add more protein to my diet. I am not much of an eater, and blessed with the fact that I don't gain weight. I hover between 118 - 125 pds during the year, and currently 122 pds at 5'4
I also added whey protein to my diet. I don't know why, but I did it at the suggestion of the college kids that I hire to work with me at work (and the fact that they actually think I'm around their age.) I also added electrolytes to my drinks every now and then, Core Protein shakes (maybe 3 - 4 a month,) green protein powders, vanilla protein shakes with fruit and some oatmeal that I powdered as well and had those as breakfast. I basically eat a Mediterranean diet, but not much pasta, and avoid meats wed/fri. I also eat full fat dairy when I have it.

My goal was somewhat attained - my belly is almost toned to where I want it, but needs a bit more work. Doc even felt my abs during the check-up, which gave me confidence that they are emerging. And my arms are almost there too.

But what concerned me was that my cholesterol went to 175 from 153, and my sugar went to 90 from 75.
The doctor said don't change a thing and continue as you are doing.

But the 175 cholesterol was not what I was expecting. The sugar was probably that high because I was indulging in some holiday sweets that I do every year.

What I want to ask is - should I do away with the whey protein? I have read now that it raises cholesterol. I used an organic whey powder, and quite honestly I think I went through 3/4 of a jug. I had a woman's protein powder that I was finishing too.

What is your opinion?
Your doctor will tell you that you don't have anything to worry about. Your total cholesterol is below 200. To be more specific, I would look at your LDL. Your LDL (“bad” cholesterol) should be below 100. A higher HDL is better. The optimum level is above 60, but I don't think there is much you can do to raise it. My wife's HDL is typically in the 60s, while mine is in the 50s even when I was running marathons.

Your blood sugar is also normal. A fasting blood sugar level of 99 mg/dL or lower is normal.

The whey protein is not affecting these numbers. If you feel you need to add protein to your diet, I would continue taking it. I have two large containers of whey protein that I should use daily to help avoid snacking.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your doctor will tell you that you don't have anything to worry about. Your total cholesterol is below 200. To be more specific, I would look at your LDL. Your LDL (“bad” cholesterol) should be below 100. A higher HDL is better. The optimum level is above 60, but I don't think there is much you can do to raise it. My wife's HDL is typically in the 60s, while mine is in the 50s even when I was running marathons.

Your blood sugar is also normal. A fasting blood sugar level of 99 mg/dL or lower is normal.

The whey protein is not affecting these numbers. If you feel you need to add protein to your diet, I would continue taking it. I have two large containers of whey protein that I should use daily to help avoid snacking.
Thanks for the reply. My LDL which actually 75.
I know everything is fine and within range. I just blamed - most likely - the whey protein for the spike. Granted, I did make the effort to eat more protein, which can raise levels as well.
I just wanted to hear from those who go through jugs of whey protein, if they have cholesterol issues. I know it can do a number on your kidneys, and I try to be careful of that as well.

Perhaps I'll reduce it a bit and see. I like making my own to better control what goes in it, however, I hear it must be consumed within hours. Whereas, the Fairlife Core Protein shake which I like, I can do half one day, then remainder the next...or use it as a creamer in my coffee. But the sugar in there is a culprit.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:51 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,306,921 times
Quote:
Whereas, the Fairlife Core Protein shake which I like, I can do half one day, then remainder the next...or use it as a creamer in my coffee.
I would not drink that stuff. It contains sucralose which might be linked to numerous health problems.

https://www.cspinet.org/new/201602081.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6930556.html

It was also linked to increased cholesterol

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3432...ere%20observed.

"total cholesterol levels significantly increased after consumption of sucralose"

There is no reason ever to consume products with sucralose when they are many excellent alternatives without this ingredient.

I like Biochem "100% Whey Isolate Protein, Natural" and Mt Capra Clean Whey Protein. These products do not have junk ingredients.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I would not drink that stuff. It contains sucralose which might be linked to numerous health problems.

"total cholesterol levels significantly increased after consumption of sucralose"

There is no reason ever to consume products with sucralose when they are many excellent alternatives without this ingredient.

I like Biochem "100% Whey Isolate Protein, Natural" and Mt Capra Clean Whey Protein. These products do not have junk ingredients.
Here is another good brand: Promix Whey Protein Isolate Powder, Unflavored

Old 02-21-2023, 03:44 PM

574 posts, read 268,243 times
casein increases plasma cholesterol irregardless if it's paired with sucralose.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

I absolutely forgot it has stevia. I will not buy it anymore. I did only for convenience and the fact I enjoyed the taste.

I'll decide on whey protein in general, whether or not to continue with it. Perhaps I should consider only the kind designed for women?

I know dairy products raise cholesterol, and the thing is I've been full-fat dairy all my life, with an occasional 2% reduced, and it always hovered between 120 - 150. It was this past 12 months of whey protein it went to 175

Old 02-21-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I absolutely forgot it has stevia. I will not buy it anymore. I did only for convenience and the fact I enjoyed the taste.

I'll decide on whey protein in general, whether or not to continue with it. Perhaps I should consider only the kind designed for women?

I know dairy products raise cholesterol, and the thing is I've been full-fat dairy all my life, with an occasional 2% reduced, and it always hovered between 120 - 150. It was this past 12 months of whey protein it went to 175
The only difference in whey protein designed for women is they put it in a pink container.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The only difference in whey protein designed for women is they put it in a pink container.
Ha, good point!! But we are different, men and women!! But I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness