Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 08:13 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times

Advertisements

If you go for isolation excercises rather than compound exercises, probably yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 06:11 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
To the specific point of weights, I prefer single-weight weights.

For example I have various exercises that I do with two different weights of dumbbells. Instead of something adjustable that I have to switch the weights back and forth, I have a pair of 12 lb ordinary cast iron DBs and a pair of 15 lb ordinary cast iron DBs. I just pick up one or the other depending on the next exercise. Similarly, I don't put plates on and off a long bar when I go from the lighter weight exercises to the heavier weight ones; I have two long bars a standard one for bench press and a curls bar.

Bars, dumbbells, all that stuff is so cheap that my time to swap back and forth is worth more than the cost of a few more pounds of cast iron.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:50 AM

17,796 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post

1. "Can you walk briskly..." my retired doctor said if i could talk, i was not walking fast enough for cardio benefits
This is terrible advice in the era of inexpensive and convenient cardiac monitoring.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:41 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
At your age and with your back issues I would recommend you consider exercise bands with wall anchors instead of dumbbells. I used to lift weights but I find the bands put less stress on my joints.

When using bands with anchors, if you feel any muscle issues you can simply step forward to relieve the pressure. Bands also allow eccentric exercise which helps muscle growth.

Due to your back problems, I would also recommend you do belt squats vs regular squats to alleviate any load on your spine. You will need to get or build some sturdy platforms to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness