Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 5,417 times

Advertisements

Im now @ 66 yrs.; been working out w/ a universal gym and elliptical machine for years. my lower back has recently been in pain and spending much time trying to get an cardio and fitness training program, but usually just winging it, figuring something is better than nothing. The leg press and other leg exercises on the universal caused all my back issues. I'm not overweight, but still slightly out of shape, but overall health is good. I'm being careful on diet because of plaque in arteries is high. I also been working on getting rid of that stubborn belly fat. I've recently found on You Tube; fit over 50 W/ mark Mcilyar programs, and find this very helpfull. slightly hard in the beginning, but hopefully will be something I can stick to. I'm buying a rubber floor mat and Adjustable dumbbells for many exercises. I've found the Core Fitness or Nuobell adjustable dumbbells to be the easiest to use. The Core only only goes up to 50 lbs; and the Nuobell 80 lbs. The nuobells seems better quality, but even their 50 lb weights are near double the price to the Core; but may not last as long. Purchasing replacement handles may be easier to access w/ the cores. Would the 50 lb. max weights be enough for most fitness programs or exercises ? Seems the 80 lb. DB's is better for dead lifts and Squats, but @ 66 yrs, would I ever reach that level ?

Please reply;

Thank You...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 06:10 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
What you need to be focusing on is aerobic exercise, before you throw a plaque and end up in the cardiac ward. Or worse, amongst the percentage of people whose first symptom of coronary artery disease is sudden death.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What you need to be focusing on is aerobic exercise, before you throw a plaque and end up in the cardiac ward. Or worse, amongst the percentage of people whose first symptom of coronary artery disease is sudden death.
Hope that's not the case. When I had a stress test, found no blockages, just narrowing. Cardiologist encouraged resistive exercise cardio from strength and mixed exercises w/o any limitations @least 150 minutes a week.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:08 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
You need to be doing aerobic exercise to build collateral circulation which will supplement narrowed arteries. A strong heart will withstand an infarct a lot better than a weak one.

Nothing on earth wrong with resistance exercise/strength exercise! But with cardiac risk factors, I'd be putting the priority on aerobic work. The key is what we used to call "long slow distance". Cooper's book is still a great introduction to the subject.

Can you walk briskly for a half hour (briskly means "about as fast as you can walk without starting to jog or adopt a weird gait")? Or do you get all out of breath and start puffing?

Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You need to be doing aerobic exercise to build collateral circulation which will supplement narrowed arteries. A strong heart will withstand an infarct a lot better than a weak one.

Nothing on earth wrong with resistance exercise/strength exercise! But with cardiac risk factors, I'd be putting the priority on aerobic work. The key is what we used to call "long slow distance". Cooper's book is still a great introduction to the subject.

Can you walk briskly for a half hour (briskly means "about as fast as you can walk without starting to jog or adopt a weird gait")? Or do you get all out of breath and start puffing?
I can do any aerobic exercise w/ no problem. I'm trying to do strength training and aerobics together w/o back and joint impact. I had been spending over an hour a day training to get a whole body workout. 35 minutes on an elliptical and another half hour or more on legs, arms and an assortment of exercises on my universal gym machine. All just wore me out and had back pain from leg press. This Fit over 50 program and other similar programs incorporates cardio w/ strength training using dumbbells. It feels like I'm starting exercising all over from scratch and in less than a half an hour I've done a complete body workout. It pretty much a HIT program and should be great if I go easy @1st. Knee high's, Burpees, skaters, mountain climbers, bridge press, squats, curls rows and lunges, ect. w/very little break between exercises. I'm no expert. I'm just trying things that get results.

Thanks For Replies...

Old 03-13-2023, 11:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
You can pick up a dumbell set for about $50 for 90lb set. You can then add plates to it as you need too. Those all in one dumbell sets look nice, but are ridiculously overpriced.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
three things;

1. "Can you walk briskly..." my retired doctor said if i could talk, i was not walking fast enough for cardio benefits.

2. someone, somewhere told me, it is not the pounds... it is the repetitions regarding weight training.

3. if it hurts...that is your body's Check Engine Light. diagnostics are due.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
three things;

1. "Can you walk briskly..." my retired doctor said if i could talk, i was not walking fast enough for cardio benefits..
I can't imagine not being able to talk while walking at maximum speed, unless on a steep incline and/or at elevation.

OP, how do you know plaque in arteries is high?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the workout regimen you're following. Probably the lighter weights would be OK. As others said, keep up the strength training but the priority should be cardio IMO.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I can't imagine not being able to talk while walking at maximum speed, unless on a steep incline and/or at elevation.

OP, how do you know plaque in arteries is high?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the workout regimen you're following. Probably the lighter weights would be OK. As others said, keep up the strength training but the priority should be cardio IMO.
A couple of years ago; my last DR, recommended a Calcium score scan after a having a high cholesterol test. I had a calcium score of 695. It scared me to exercise and go vegan. The routine I've found is on You tube (fit over 50 w/mark mcilyar). It may not be for everyone. A cardio workout can be done working many muscle groups if done correctly and also recommended by my cardiologist.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:12 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Richman View Post
I've found the Core Fitness or Nuobell adjustable dumbbells to be the easiest to use. The Core only only goes up to 50 lbs; and the Nuobell 80 lbs. The nuobells seems better quality, but even their 50 lb weights are near double the price to the Core; but may not last as long. Purchasing replacement handles may be easier to access w/ the cores. Would the 50 lb. max weights be enough for most fitness programs or exercises ? Seems the 80 lb. DB's is better for dead lifts and Squats, but @ 66 yrs, would I ever reach that level ?
I think adjustable dumbbells are overpriced junk. Unless one lives in a very limited small space there is no reason to get those over real dumbbells.

I like the metal ones like this one. They won't break and they last forever. They are probably cheaper in the store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbe...6?athbdg=L1600

I do not like the black rubber dumbbells because they have a rubber smell that lasts a few months.

I prefer kettlebells over dumbbells for light deadlifting at home for reps.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=kettlebell+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness