Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 08:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times

Advertisements

I started swimming during the pandemic. The pool was never crowded so this never really came up. I'm wondering what the etiquette is regarding sharing a lane? Once there were no open lanes, so I waited until I could catch someone's attention and kind of gestured that I wanted to share the lane. I don't know if that was right. But today I was swimming and all of the sudden I almost crashed into someone... there was someone else in my lane. So I kind of followed her lead and kept to the right. But then she started doing some weird, slow backstroke and took up the whole lane, I couldn't even pass.

So what's the etiquette? If all lanes are full, do you ask first, or just start swimming? Keep to the right, or stick to one side of the lane, up and back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 09:12 PM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
If there aren't a lot of swimmers, but every lane has one person in it: Try to choose a lane where the person swims about your speed. When they approach the wall, get their attention and motion/say you want to share this lane (they have to say yes, but you're being nice). The best is to split the lane -- each of you gets one side. If more swimmers arrive, then you have to circle. Circling is done counter-clockwise, down one side and up the other side. If everyone is about the same speed, this works well and you keep a consistent distance from each other. Many swimmers can share the same lane this way.

The weird, slow backstroke taking up the entire lane would be hard to share a lane with. Watch the swimmers before you choose your lane. Good for you for swimming, it's great exercise.

Last edited by wildflowers27; 04-15-2023 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-15-2023, 10:10 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Pick a lane that's moving similar speed.
Enter in a gap not right as someone is coming in for a turn.

Circle/split depends on how many swimmers are in the lane. If you're splitting a lane with one swimmer you split the lane. If there's 3+ in a lane you circle and stay to the right of the lane. If you're #3 it's kinda awkward. Loiter around until you get the two that are in the lanes attention... but sometimes they'll pretend not to notice because they're jerks. Mind the direction. Nothing is worse than some idiot that jumps in a lane going the wrong direction. Everything else is forgivable.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:42 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I started swimming during the pandemic. The pool was never crowded so this never really came up. I'm wondering what the etiquette is regarding sharing a lane? Once there were no open lanes, so I waited until I could catch someone's attention and kind of gestured that I wanted to share the lane. I don't know if that was right. But today I was swimming and all of the sudden I almost crashed into someone... there was someone else in my lane. So I kind of followed her lead and kept to the right. But then she started doing some weird, slow backstroke and took up the whole lane, I couldn't even pass.

So what's the etiquette? If all lanes are full, do you ask first, or just start swimming? Keep to the right, or stick to one side of the lane, up and back?
My Y has instructions on the wall for sharing lanes. They reserve certain lanes for slow, medium, and fast swimmers. I've never tried to do it. I wait until a lane is available.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My Y has instructions on the wall for sharing lanes. They reserve certain lanes for slow, medium, and fast swimmers. I've never tried to do it. I wait until a lane is available.
Yes, I've always waited for a lane too. But I've been curious about the etiquette, in case I ever needed to share. I was so surprised by the way this lady jumped in my lane without notifying me, I wondered if that was correct.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Circle/split depends on how many swimmers are in the lane. If you're splitting a lane with one swimmer you split the lane. If there's 3+ in a lane you circle and stay to the right of the lane. If you're #3 it's kinda awkward. Loiter around until you get the two that are in the lanes attention... but sometimes they'll pretend not to notice because they're jerks. Mind the direction. Nothing is worse than some idiot that jumps in a lane going the wrong direction. Everything else is forgivable.
Thanks, this is helpful. So when you say to enter in a gap, not as someone is coming in for a turn-- should you not try to get their attention and warn them you're entering? I see how you wouldn't want to interrupt. But it seemed dangerous to me how this lady was unexpectedly in my lane.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times
This has happened to me too. I learned to swim during the height of the pandemic when it was very quiet, and there was a reservation system. Then everything opened just like that, no more reservations, and I was faced with crowds of people coming in. Usually people would ask to share a lane, and we would split one side each, but one woman just jumped in the pool and started walking down my side of the lane as I was swimming in to the shallow area. I did not see her at all until I nearly crashed into her and it startled me. She had absolutely no clue the proper etiquette and it was frustrating. One other time a man three times my size got in and shared my lane. He decided to do back srokes failing his arms out to the side and smacked me in the face as I was swimming by, causing me to completely lose my focus and ability to swim properly for a few seconds.

I started swimming very early mornings on Mondays, Saturdays, Sundays to avoid the crowds and because I find those times are usually the more serious swimmers who want to exercise, not just play around. Unfortunately even then it can get really crowded now but at least these people tend to have better etiquette and know what they are doing as opposed to the afternoon crowd. Every place is different though. In summer I move out to the local lakes and swim out there for a more peaceful experience, though I have to find quiet lakes that are not popular with the boaters.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:53 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

If you ever in Australia, stay to the left of the lane. As we do on the road.
We don’t ask permission to share a lane, we just do.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:10 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
It's the lifeguard's job, at the pool I work at, to direct new swimmers into the proper lane. If you have a pool of lap swimmers and you're lifeguarding, then it's not a big deal to get to know the swimmers and their speeds/abilities. If you don't know them, you ask the incomer about their swimming and make a decision. If they told you they're Michael Phelps and they're not, you move them.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:09 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I personally would never share a lane. When I do swim, I'm first into the gym. not a lot of people swimming at 4:30am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness