Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 03:02 PM

22,271 posts, read 19,263,570 times

Advertisements

thank you readers for your helpful input and views and comments. much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 03:08 PM

if i don't drink a certain amount of water daily, i get headaches. the headaches do not happen when i am sufficiently hydrated. for me that is reason enough to continue to drink enough fluids daily. For me that is 7-8 cups liquid normally, and in hot hot weather 9-10 cups. about 3 or 4 cups of that fluid intake is tea, the rest water or clear broth.

i don't think people drinking more water is a result of bottled water companies. I think people are becoming more health-conscious in general. My parents generation they guzzled coffee and booze and soda, and as a kid growing up i never drank water at all, only kool aid and instant tea. People are in general cutting back on things like caffeine and soda pop because we are paying more attention to our health. I think that is a good thing. It is taking responsibility for our own health and well being. for me it is not about weight loss, it is about trying to stay healthy, and that means also avoiding the chemicals and artificial sweeteners.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
To my way of thinking, if it has caffeine in it, it's a caffeine drink and wouldn't count towards water, because caffeine in a drink will dehydrate your body to some degree, while water alone hydrates your body. It's a bit picky to consider whether weak tea vs strong tea makes a difference. If there's caffeine in it, it's a caffeine drink and will not hydrate your body.

The body can become dehydrated without you feeling thirsty. So it's important to drink SOME drink w/o caffeine in it, to hydrate your body. Your skin will thank you for it. Whether it has to be pure water, which I suppose is the best, or can be a non-caffeine flavored drink...I don't know if that makes a difference. I wouldn't replace caffeinated drinks like tea with decaffeinated versions, because the decaffeinated versions still have a tiny bit of caffeine. But there are flavored non-caffeine drinks or mixes, like Crystal Lite. No caffeine at all (but those drinks do have chemicals).

I've rarely drunk water in my life. But lately as I've aged, I've noticed my skin getting very dry, and my arms developing the dreaded crepey skin. Sooooooo....for the first time, I've started drinking just 3 to 4 cups of water a day (as well as using treatment creams AND working out with weights to increase muscle in my arms and elsewhere). My arms are looking better.
I don't think caffeine has nearly the dehydrating effect that you are stating. If you drink tea, coffee, or soft drinks with caffeine, you are getting more fluid in your body than you're excreting. Some of the pre-workout supplements have as much as 350 mg of caffeine. This is much more than multiple coffee, tea, or soft drinks. I doubt these pre-workout supplements are dehydrating the people taking them.

See Animal Fury - Pre Workout Powder Supplement for Energy and Focus - 5g BCAA, 350mg Caffeine, Nitric Oxide, Without Creatine - Powerful Stimulant for Bodybuilders - Ice Pop

Old 05-26-2023, 03:15 PM

those caffeine supplements and caffeine-super-loaded drinks `kill people

"A man is dead after he overdosed on caffeine powder that was the equivalent to 200 cups of coffee.
Tom Mansfield was a personal trainer who lived in Wales."

Old 05-26-2023, 03:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
those caffeine supplements and caffeine-super-loaded drinks `kill people

"A man is dead after he overdosed on caffeine powder that was the equivalent to 200 cups of coffee.
Tom Mansfield was a personal trainer who lived in Wales."
This guy took a huge amount (19 grams) of pure caffeine. That is not what I was describing. I listed a pre-workout supplement with 350 mg of caffeine. That is a relatively high amount. You should probably not consume more than 400 mg/day.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 PM

a person should not take concentrated caffeine period if they are looking after their health.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
a person should not take concentrated caffeine period if they are looking after their health.
I wouldn't agree with such an absolute position. There are meaningful performance benefits to caffeine usage and it is perfectly healthy is non-absurd doses.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:01 PM

you're talking "performance benefits." I'm talking health.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
you're talking "performance benefits." I'm talking health.
There are limited drawbacks to caffeine usage on general health, and far more benefits.

https://examine.com/supplements/caff...ral-toxicology

Old 05-26-2023, 09:15 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,992,771 times
Quote:
if i don't drink a certain amount of water daily, i get headaches. the headaches do not happen when i am sufficiently hydrated. for me that is reason enough to continue to drink enough fluids daily. For me that is 7-8 cups liquid normally, and in hot hot weather 9-10 cups. about 3 or 4 cups of that fluid intake is tea, the rest water or clear broth.

i don't think people drinking more water is a result of bottled water companies. I think people are becoming more health-conscious in general. My parents generation they guzzled coffee and booze and soda, and as a kid growing up i never drank water at all, only kool aid and instant tea. People are in general cutting back on things like caffeine and soda pop because we are paying more attention to our health. I think that is a good thing. It is taking responsibility for our own health and well being. for me it is not about weight loss, it is about trying to stay healthy, and that means also avoiding the chemicals and artificial sweeteners.
If I don't drink enough during the day I can wake up the next morning feeling like I was hit by a truck (including the headache). When I was younger I had a low grade headache most days, and at some point decided to up my water intake and was amazed it went away.

There are days I am honestly not thirsty much so I don't drink very much and that's when I feel awful when I wake up. It seems to happen more in winter when I'm not hot and not working out as much.

That said I am not one of those that carry my water around with me 24/7. I may put the bottle in my car but I'll never bring it in a store with me. I do think some people are a little out of control with that.

In the winter I almost never take a bottle with me on my bike. I'm already hydrated and usually don't ride more than an hour when it's very cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness