Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 04:42 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

I didn't work for me. That being said, it does work for people who really really need it to work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 07:37 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I didn't work for me. That being said, it does work for people who really really need it to work for them.
I think pre-diabetics benefit from keto. I've even known type 2 diabetics who completely turned around their diabetes on a keto diet but if you're diabetic you should consult with your doctor and carefully monitor your glucose while on such a diet.

For normal people, eh. I just don't see the advantage. I tried keto just for the heck for it. But I had to give it up shortly because all my gym lifts went down by like 10%.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:55 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Keto allows for seemingly more rapid weight loss initially because the ~ zero-carb restriction reduces muscle glycogen + water stores. Not sustainable and not fat loss.
It reduces glycogen and forces your body to begin burning ketones. That's the point. Where does it get these ketones? Fat cells. You absolutely do experience fat loss from being in ketosis. I didn't have 50 lbs worth of water or glycogen in my body.

Although I do agree that it is not permanently sustainable, it can be sustainable for a year or two. Where most fail with this type of diet is that they have no backup plan as to how to maintain the loss once achieved. I have a friend that originally introduced me to this diet who yoyos every few years. He doesn't exercise and is pretty consistent to drop 40 lbs and then gain it back +10 lbs once he drops the diet.

It's simply one tool in what should be an arsenal of tools for a person who is motivated to get in better shape. But it isn't a tool for everyone. It's merely an option for the first stepping stone to get to a goal for those who may have challenges with immediately beginning exercise. Use it to get to a weight in which you can begin to exercise and then dump it.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It reduces glycogen and forces your body to begin burning ketones. That's the point. Where does it get these ketones? Fat cells. You absolutely do experience fat loss from being in ketosis. I didn't have 50 lbs worth of water or glycogen in my body.
Or from food, your body will convert the fat you eat in food into ketones and use for energy. That is why a calorie deficit is still important.

You absolutely have more than 50 lbs of water in your body. Your body is 70-80% water. For a 150lb individual that's between 105-120 lbs of water. Of course, you cannot lose anywhere near that amount and still be alive, but you can easily lose 20lbs of water or more, in a few days, and still be alive. Professional boxers do it all the time for their weigh ins.

The normal person has around 2,000-,3000 calories of glycogen stores in your body, or roughly 600-900g of glycogen.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:51 PM

492 posts, read 143,249 times
Keto is the best, very much so for losing weight and resetting insulin sensitivity.

I do a modified Keto. I do eat carbs for 1 day a week.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Keto is the best, very much so for losing weight and resetting insulin sensitivity.

I do a modified Keto. I do eat carbs for 1 day a week.
Hmmm, you will leave ketosis, and then take 2-3 days to re-enter. That's basically half the week you're not abiding by the keto diet.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Hmmm, you will leave ketosis, and then take 2-3 days to re-enter. That's basically half the week you're not abiding by the keto diet.
That depends on the person. Towards the end I modified my keto diet to reintroduce carbs via 1 cheat meal per week. I found that I actually lost more weight the day after I ate the carbs (usually around 50g that day). I would typically lose 2-3 lbs the following morning.

It can be anywhere from a few hrs to a few days to exit ketosis, so just because the OP had a cheat day doesn't necessarily mean they're instantly out of ketosis. It would depend on just how much the OP consumed on that day and what they did immediately after.

If they were reasonable with their carb intake on their cheat day, drank plenty of water to keep their kidneys flushed, fasted the day after, or performed some intense exercise they could reduce the amount of time needed for ketosis if they did fall out. There are a lot of factors at play and a lot of IFs that are specific to the individual person. You just have to learn what your body will take.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
That depends on the person. Towards the end I modified my keto diet to reintroduce carbs via 1 cheat meal per week. I found that I actually lost more weight the day after I ate the carbs (usually around 50g that day). I would typically lose 2-3 lbs the following morning.
That's fine, probably towards the end your body becomes incredibly stressed and begins holding water weight again.

But are you sure you were in ketosis at this point? Or had you left it with your cheat meal. 50g of Carbs is still very little, not much of a cheat meal lol.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:55 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Keto diet means you're burning ketones for energy which requires you to keep your carbs < 50g (give or take, depends on the individual) per day.

Maybe some diets advocate Keto and then a slow transition off of it where you eat more 'healthy' carbs. However, at that stage, they're no longer on Keto.
But many keto diets only allow 20 carbs/day max. That's what I'm talking about. After the first 3 months or so, they recommend loosening up on the carb count to 40/day or some such, because 20/day for 6 months to a year isn't sustainable for most people, and is too restrictive to be properly nutritious longer term.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But many keto diets only allow 20 carbs/day max. That's what I'm talking about. After the first 3 months or so, they recommend loosening up on the carb count to 40/day or some such, because 20/day for 6 months to a year isn't sustainable for most people, and is too restrictive to be properly nutritious longer term.
Usually it's 50g total Carbs, or 20g NET carbs. The 20g net carbs is the easier one, as it allows you to subtract away fiber, and some sugar alcohols from your carbs.

I don't know of any keto diet that allows you to increase your daily allotted carbs, because the threshold for staying in ketosis is really very very low, you will quickly leave it. I know that for some athletes who insist on Keto, they will selectively eat carbs (dextrose only) right before exercise, and when done right, in the right amounts before physical activity, they can stay in Ketosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness