Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Possible Spam attempt. Will leave thread open because of follow on replies.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 07-28-2023 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 02:11 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,003,754 times
I don't see a discussion.

Old 07-21-2023, 02:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,509,103 times
I don't recommend it, it's very restrictive, I doubt you can 'keto' for the rest of your life. But if you think you can, go for it. If you're just using it to lose weight, then you'll probably gain the weight back. For pre-diabetics, keto is an absolute must however, to allow your body to heal.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times
In 2015 I was 5'10" and 250 lbs. I had bad knees and a bad back.

I started keto and within a year had lost 50 lbs and had gotten to a point where I could start exercising again. I realized that I needed more carbs to sustain my energy levels for workouts so I eventually started introducing more healthy carbs back into my diet.

It's 2023 now and I've kept 6 inches off my waist line (size 40 down to a 34), increased my bicep size by 3", and weigh 197 lbs. My knees nor back hurt anymore.

You can use it to quickly drop weight AS LONG AS you have a secondary plan to pick up when the time comes. I don't think it's manageable for an entire lifetime, but it can be valuable if used properly.

Old 07-30-2023, 08:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
In 2015 I was 5'10" and 250 lbs. I had bad knees and a bad back.

I started keto and within a year had lost 50 lbs and had gotten to a point where I could start exercising again. I realized that I needed more carbs to sustain my energy levels for workouts so I eventually started introducing more healthy carbs back into my diet.

It's 2023 now and I've kept 6 inches off my waist line (size 40 down to a 34), increased my bicep size by 3", and weigh 197 lbs. My knees nor back hurt anymore.

You can use it to quickly drop weight AS LONG AS you have a secondary plan to pick up when the time comes. I don't think it's manageable for an entire lifetime, but it can be valuable if used properly.
A mildly interesting dietary/philosophical point, glad thread's still open

Along the lines of the quoted, IMO the blue is most relevant. I'm in the bariatric surgery "community" as a reformed (aka chronic) person with an eating problem. Absent plans and guidelines to keep eating within bounds, "diets" per se are one big Fair w/capital F. I order pre-prepped meals from their Keto and Paleo selections, as I find both to be sensible and tasty week over week. Left to my own devices cooking usually doesn't go too well for me.

Old 07-30-2023, 08:39 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,419,546 times
^ agree with Niambert in blue bold above.

OK in the short term. Not in the long term for most people, IMO.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:15 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
I'm told that "keto" these days involves the strict measures for the first 2-3 months, then you ease back a little to a slower, more long-term strategy if needed, that allows enough carbs that it's tolerable and healthy. It's no longer the old-fashioned Atkins-type extreme diet of almost nothing but fat and protein.

And once you reach your goal, you stay low carb for life, but it's a more lax low-carb. So there are several stages to the thing, each one adding a few more carbs onto the previous stage. Some books call the maintenance stage "Atkins For Life", but that's not what it is. It's a significantly modified Atkins, which means it's not the original Atkins diet at that point.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm told that "keto" these days involves the strict measures for the first 2-3 months, then you ease back a little to a slower, more long-term strategy if needed, that allows enough carbs that it's tolerable and healthy. It's no longer the old-fashioned Atkins-type extreme diet of almost nothing but fat and protein.

And once you reach your goal, you stay low carb for life, but it's a more lax low-carb. So there are several stages to the thing, each one adding a few more carbs onto the previous stage. Some books call the maintenance stage "Atkins For Life", but that's not what it is. It's a significantly modified Atkins, which means it's not the original Atkins diet at that point.
Keto diet means you're burning ketones for energy which requires you to keep your carbs < 50g (give or take, depends on the individual) per day.

Maybe some diets advocate Keto and then a slow transition off of it where you eat more 'healthy' carbs. However, at that stage, they're no longer on Keto.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:11 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,271,801 times
Keto allows for seemingly more rapid weight loss initially because the ~ zero-carb restriction reduces muscle glycogen + water stores. Not sustainable and not fat loss.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Keto allows for seemingly more rapid weight loss initially because the ~ zero-carb restriction reduces muscle glycogen + water stores. Not sustainable and not fat loss.
That definitely has a role, the water loss from those depleted glycogen stores will result in huge reductions on the scale motivating the individual to stay on the diet.

But I think there are 3 other factors.

Keto diet forces you to watch your macros carefully. Otherwise, you'll probably blow past the 50g daily carb limit, and leave ketosis. This probably has an unintended fact of causing a calorie deficit in many.

There are relatively few snack/instant processed foods that are keto friendly. Even beef jerky often has added sugar. This prevents snacking, and forces the person to eat only during meals.

Finally, meat is one of the most keto friendly foods around, and it's also high in protein. The average keto dieter will get more calories from protein than a conventional dieter. In fact, studies show exactly this. When diets are matched for calories and % of calories from protein, keto does not perform better than a conventional diet for fat loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness