Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 08:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Hmm, whether I'm doing pull ups or dips, I bend my legs behind me, as that feels most natural to me. My shins would be parallel with the ground. A random pic from the internet showing my leg position during pull up (would be same on dip): https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7YdSA&usqp=CAU

This allows me a full range of motion, and I'm 6'4". I guess I never felt hamstring cramps holding my legs in that position. Regardless if you want to do pull ups with your legs completely straight, I'd suggest working more hamstrings during other workout days as this suggests a possible weakness. I used to completely neglect training hamstrings, and suffered many knee injuries as a result. Now I have 1 day dedicated just to them.
I guess some people do the same as you because their pull-up bars are not high enough. I've had pull-up bars high enough that I never had to bend my knees like the picture you posted. My local gym has 3 pull-up bars where I can do pull-ups on parallel bars that are high enough that I have to go on my toes to reach.

I don't see what bending your legs during pull-ups has to do with working out hamstrings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 09:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't see what bending your legs during pull-ups has to do with working out hamstrings.
To keep your feet in that position, your hamstrings need to be engaged partially. So if your hamstrings are cramping, unless you worked out hamstrings right before, might be a sign they need more work.

In fact, when on vacation and the hotel gym does not have access to any kind of hamstring curl machine, but has access to a pull up bar, I will put a dummbell between my feet, and curl my legs to roughly that position than release down. Kind of annoying as it requires a lot of scapular strength if you want a decent time under tension curling your legs that way.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,208 times
The gyms I go to don't have an old school t-bar row machine, I would also like to see a super yoke, that is rare in most gyms

Old 09-06-2023, 12:59 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I am a member of Equinox which is an overpriced hotel gym that offers outdated equipment (white Cybex, Life Fitness machines) that I used in the 1990’s.

They need to upgrade their selection by offering the latest equipment from TechnoGym, Matrix, Freemotion, Inspire and Hoist.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-06-2023 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-06-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am a member of Equinox which is an overpriced hotel gym that offers outdated equipment (white Cybex, Life Fitness machines) that I used in the 1990’s.

They need to upgrade their selection by offering the latest equipment from TechnoGym, Matrix, Freemotion, Inspire and Hoist.
Google "body building gyms" near you, if you're in a big city, there will be at least. You know it's a good gym where they have jared cutler lifting playing on the tv, and all the girls are jacked compared to 90% of men at the regular gyms

Old 09-06-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
The gyms I go to don't have an old school t-bar row machine, I would also like to see a super yoke, that is rare in most gyms
Not only is a super yoke rare at most gyms, but most gyms won't even have the room for you to use it. I'm lucky one of my gyms has a dedicated area for pulling sleds and doing lounges. In other gyms I would never do it because you'd be constantly dodging people.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:38 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'm a member of 3 different gyms, because not all the gyms have equipment I need for my workouts. So I was curious, what do posters here wish they had in their gyms, that their gym currently doesn't have?
Hyper Extension machine, like the one invented by Louie Simmons.

Hack Squat machine.

Others.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:27 AM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
I go to your standard big box commercial gym. I wish my gym had a sled pull. A great workout for athletic performance and building the legs. Unfortunately my gym was constructed before they became popular and it doesn't appear management has any interest in reconfiguring the layout to accommodate one. Would also love it if they had a larger Trap bar. The current one can only fit 4 plates on each side.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Pendulum squat. I’ve never found better quad stimulation anywhere else.

Old 09-11-2023, 04:20 AM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
new row machines because we broke 2. New stationary bikes because they resemble walmart brands.

Its not equipment but we need a sauna. My old gym, I would sit in there for 30-45 minutes, until or unless the freaks showed up. Feels great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness