Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 08:31 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,496,434 times

Advertisements

I'm a member of 3 different gyms, because not all the gyms have equipment I need for my workouts. So I was curious, what do posters here wish they had in their gyms, that their gym currently doesn't have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 09:34 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Although my Gym (Gold's Gym) has a glute-ham bench it doesn't allow for adding plates for extra resistance when doing reverse back raises (so-called reverse hyperextensions). It would be nice to have one that does. It would also be nice to have a climbing rope.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Although my Gym (Gold's Gym) has a glute-ham bench it doesn't allow for adding plates for extra resistance when doing reverse back raises (so-called reverse hyperextensions). It would be nice to have one that does. It would also be nice to have a climbing rope.
Yeah, putting a bar on your back and then getting in position can be hard. Fortunately, 1 of the gyms I go to has a nordic curl machine that allows plates.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:23 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,856,481 times
Our gym pretty much has only one squat rack, If someone is there you have to come up with plan B.
Also, the seated leg press is lame. I like the ones where you add plates and push up. This one is a seat that you push back with stacked weights with a pin, not the same feel for me.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Our gym pretty much has only one squat rack, If someone is there you have to come up with plan B.
Also, the seated leg press is lame. I like the ones where you add plates and push up. This one is a seat that you push back with stacked weights with a pin, not the same feel for me.
I'm fortunate that one of the gyms (though far from place) has all 3, horizontal, 45 degrees, and vertical.

The vertical one I feel more in my glutes/hams, and the horizontal one I feel my quads the best. The 45 degree one, I have some difficulty getting my quads in a fully stretched position without my butt curling off the back. I guess many of these machines are not built for taller people (and yes, I adjust the pad back as far as it will go). So if I'm to use the 45 degree, I always pre-fatigue my quads first on leg extension, otherwise the weight I need to use is so ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:59 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
My main gym needs the twisty ab machine.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
I've worked out at 4 gyms in the past three months in addition to my home gym. The two most common items that I find missing at gyms are pull-up and dip bars. I don't use the assisted dip and pull-up bars. I'm 6'4" so I need higher pull-up bars to keep my feet off the floor. I also like pull-up bars that are parallel because I get elbow pain after a few workouts on a regular pull-up bar. I went to an expensive huge gym in San Antonio and they didn't have what I usually use at my local Y.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've worked out at 4 gyms in the past three months in addition to my home gym. The two most common items that I find missing at gyms are pull-up and dip bars. I don't use the assisted dip and pull-up bars. I'm 6'4" so I need higher pull-up bars to keep my feet off the floor. I also like pull-up bars that are parallel because I get elbow pain after a few workouts on a regular pull-up bar. I went to an expensive huge gym in San Antonio and they didn't have what I usually use at my local Y.
Usually every gym that has the cable machine/tower setups, has pull-up bars overhead. Also if they have an assisted pull up machine, you can often lower the assistance plate to the ground and do free weight pull ups.

I'm 6'4 as well, and I guess I never had this issue at a commercial gym (hotel gym, sure).

Old 09-05-2023, 04:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Usually every gym that has the cable machine/tower setups, has pull-up bars overhead. Also if they have an assisted pull up machine, you can often lower the assistance plate to the ground and do free weight pull ups.

I'm 6'4 as well, and I guess I never had this issue at a commercial gym (hotel gym, sure).
I've never seen a cable machine setup high enough where I can do pull-ups. My local Y and just about every gym has a cable machine setup. Bending my knees and pulling them up to my chest doesn't work for me. My hamstrings start cramping up.

My Y used to have a assisted pull-up/dip machine where you could fold the kneeling plate up so you didn't use it. They replaced it with one where the kneeling plate does not fold up.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've never seen a cable machine setup high enough where I can do pull-ups. My local Y and just about every gym has a cable machine setup. Bending my knees and pulling them up to my chest doesn't work for me. My hamstrings start cramping up.

My Y used to have a assisted pull-up/dip machine where you could fold the kneeling plate up so you didn't use it. They replaced it with one where the kneeling plate does not fold up.
Hmm, whether I'm doing pull ups or dips, I bend my legs behind me, as that feels most natural to me. My shins would be parallel with the ground. A random pic from the internet showing my leg position during pull up (would be same on dip): https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7YdSA&usqp=CAU

This allows me a full range of motion, and I'm 6'4". I guess I never felt hamstring cramps holding my legs in that position. Regardless if you want to do pull ups with your legs completely straight, I'd suggest working more hamstrings during other workout days as this suggests a possible weakness. I used to completely neglect training hamstrings, and suffered many knee injuries as a result. Now I have 1 day dedicated just to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness