Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 11:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
You haven't done much walking in awhile, apparently, so this relatively "new" exercise is bound to be a bit more difficult at first.

Besides:

"..The researchers found that compared to the other three aerobic activities, the elliptical machine exercise “significantly reduces weight bearing as compared to other common functional and sporting activities. (Including walking) These findings may assist the rehabilitation team when considering returning individuals back to early activity following certain bony or soft tissue pathologies or lower-limb surgical procedures."

https://melioguide.com/osteoporosis-...ring-exercise/
Thanks, that was very helpful. Interesting that the elliptical is not as weight-bearing as walking. And the comments on it not helping with balance are interesting too. I am worried about balance--noticing it is not as good these days. I'm 68.

I have joint problems, arthritis etc. so limited as to what I can do. 3 joint replacements.

Unfortunately, my elliptical's computer failed so I can't adjust anything.

I can see from this and what I'm experiencing that I need to add walking no matter what. I notice I'm unsteady on uneven ground and that is alarming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I personally find walking/running on the beach to be very tiring compared to other surfaces.
I would def see a doctor asap. My dad started getting winded when walking briskly (he always walks very fast naturally).

Turns out he needed a stent and is back to walking briskly with no problems.
We're walking around town, not on the sand, usually. If we do, it's on hard sand.

Oh boy, a stent. That's something to look forward to, lol.

Thanks for all the answers, folks. I gotta get out there and walk regularly. That's obvious now.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:27 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Tai Chi for balance.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,322,524 times
Yeah walking is the best exercise. You probably don’t need a stent lol But if anyone ever does, just know they work great!

Old 10-12-2023, 09:16 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
What is the elevation where you are vacationing compared to where you live? If it is higher, that could possibly be a factor. Getting checked by your doctor would certainly be worth it - it couldn't hurt. There are exercise routines you can do at home that can help with balance. For example, Mark Lauren exercises tend to include balance components and be very achievable for older people.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
What is the elevation where you are vacationing compared to where you live? If it is higher, that could possibly be a factor. Getting checked by your doctor would certainly be worth it - it couldn't hurt. There are exercise routines you can do at home that can help with balance. For example, Mark Lauren exercises tend to include balance components and be very achievable for older people.
We're at sea level. I do balance exercises every day that I saw on You Tube by those entertaining physical therapists, Bob and somebody.

I just have really bad joints (so do my sisters) despite the joint replacements. Going to walk uphill today a mile, in fact, to get the latest Covid jab. Not looking forward to it, lol.

Old 10-12-2023, 03:45 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Walking uses different muscles than the elliptical and rowing and bike; walking at different degrees also affects different muscles. Walking on a treadmill without holding on also engages balancing.

Old 10-12-2023, 03:52 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm asking why I am weak walking when I do those 2 machines for an hour every single day. Are they not at least the equivalent of walking?
Have been to a physical therapist?

Old 10-12-2023, 04:17 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I am just so mystified about this conundrum. In my house, I have an elliptical and an exercise bike. I do half an hour on both every day. I adjust it to as difficult as I'm able.

We don't generally take walks like we used to because I've developed a sun allergy and it's too hot to cover up.

Now we are vacationing where it's cooler so we are walking. It's .7 mile to the train station and I get so winded and weak I can barely make it. My joints and muscles hurt. Slightest uphill and I'm gasping. I used to walk and hike for miles so this is a real shock to me, and so discouraging because I do my exercises without fail.

How can the 2 machines not translate to walking? I don't get it. So frustrated!

What professional could I ask about this? A sports medicine person, or what. This is just so weird.
I remember dad saying that different activities make you strong in different ways. My and and his brother used to go hiking in the Sierras every summer. In "older" age, my uncle climbed "S" Mountain (near Lake Murray in San Diego) every day until he couldn't. My dad was walking, miles a day. When each of them did the other's activity, they got winded. Even my uncle would get winded when he simply walked on a flat surface. My dad thought that because he walked miles every day, he could still do "S" Mountain with no problem. They were in their 60's when this took place. (My dad walked 2-4 miles a day until he was 94 yrs old - unbelievable to me. I used to get so nervous about curbs and raised sidewalks (and nutty drivers not seeing him, but he never fell and nothing else every happened.)

Old 10-13-2023, 11:38 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
OP, you haven't commented on whether you're using the aerobic training machines (cycle and elliptical) correctly or just setting the resistance on MAX and heaving away til you poop out. Did you read what I wrote about target training heart rates? No way someone who is doing 30 minutes at a shot several times a week correctly should be winded after walking 0.7 miles.

You might better have a doctor check you out. Suddenly being winded when doing moderate activity one's done all one's life is often an indication of cardiac or pulmonary problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness