Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 07:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times

Advertisements

I am just so mystified about this conundrum. In my house, I have an elliptical and an exercise bike. I do half an hour on both every day. I adjust it to as difficult as I'm able.

We don't generally take walks like we used to because I've developed a sun allergy and it's too hot to cover up.

Now we are vacationing where it's cooler so we are walking. It's .7 mile to the train station and I get so winded and weak I can barely make it. My joints and muscles hurt. Slightest uphill and I'm gasping. I used to walk and hike for miles so this is a real shock to me, and so discouraging because I do my exercises without fail.

How can the 2 machines not translate to walking? I don't get it. So frustrated!

What professional could I ask about this? A sports medicine person, or what. This is just so weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 07:31 PM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
I’m not sure of what your asking or detailing.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I’m not sure of what your asking or detailing.
I'm asking why I am weak walking when I do those 2 machines for an hour every single day. Are they not at least the equivalent of walking?

Old 10-09-2023, 09:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,228 times
I would not think a bike is because it isn't weight bearing.

But if you are weak and gasping you need to see a doctor for a checkup. That sounds quite serious to me.

Are you vacationing in a place with high altitude?

Old 10-09-2023, 10:44 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Altitude can make a difference.. Were you vacationing at a higher altitude?

Old 10-10-2023, 05:21 PM

No, we are at the beach.

I just don't see how I can be this out of shape considering my one-hour-a-day exercise every day. I get it that the bike is not weight-bearing, but the elliptical is. Both are cardio.

I shouldn't have said "gasping"...just breathing harder than normal for just walking....

Does walking use specific muscles that those 2 machines would not address?

Old 10-10-2023, 05:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,228 times
nevermind

Old 10-11-2023, 09:20 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,316,671 times
I personally find walking/running on the beach to be very tiring compared to other surfaces.
I would def see a doctor asap. My dad started getting winded when walking briskly (he always walks very fast naturally).

Turns out he needed a stent and is back to walking briskly with no problems.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:37 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No, we are at the beach.

I just don't see how I can be this out of shape considering my one-hour-a-day exercise every day. I get it that the bike is not weight-bearing, but the elliptical is. Both are cardio...
You haven't done much walking in awhile, apparently, so this relatively "new" exercise is bound to be a bit more difficult at first.

Besides:

"..The researchers found that compared to the other three aerobic activities, the elliptical machine exercise “significantly reduces weight bearing as compared to other common functional and sporting activities. (Including walking) These findings may assist the rehabilitation team when considering returning individuals back to early activity following certain bony or soft tissue pathologies or lower-limb surgical procedures."

https://melioguide.com/osteoporosis-...ring-exercise/

Old 10-11-2023, 10:00 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I am just so mystified about this conundrum. In my house, I have an elliptical and an exercise bike. I do half an hour on both every day. I adjust it to as difficult as I'm able....
I suspect this may be the issue, right here.

Heaving away at the pedals at 30 rpm as hard as you can doesn't do much for your aerobic fitness. You need to reduce the resistance and increase the cadence. For an experienced cyclist something in the 80-90 rpm on the cycle, maybe 60-70 on the elliptical. Then after you're warmed up and going for say 15 minutes, check heart rate. The usual target for base fitness would be something like 60-75% of your age-determined "max" rate, which is generally considered 220 minus your age. So for me, at age 60, my theoretical max heart rate would be 160 bpm, and my target heart rate range for base fitness would be in the range of 96-120 bpm. And, interestingly enough, when I do long slow distance work on the bike or jogging, that's pretty much where "enough intensity to breathe hard but still be able to carry on a conversation" lands me.

Obviously, if you have cardiac issues, or if you're on beta-blockers that limit your max heart rate, or you have a pacemaker, then that's out of the scope of my recommendation. I'm only talking about otherwise healthy people who just need to improve base fitness level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness