Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:11 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well the medical community designated obesity as a medical issue so health insurance covers it.
And with the new drug out...people will lose weight only they have to be on this drug for life.

And now they lowered the age to 12 for taking this drug.
$900-1500 per month will keep you skinny for life
Maybe you were being sarcastic, I don't know but this is not very good advice ^^ to be on it for life. There are JAMA studies proving long-term prescription drugs usage does increase other serious diseases.

What most people need to change is their diet and lifestyle & not use a band-aid prescription drug to cover-up bad lifestyle choices.

Any drug that is not naturally found in your body tends to cause other organs to act differently, as in work less efficiently or wors. At best, very short term for 30-60 days. One can find this in JAMA for acid reflux & weight loss prescriptions. I'm not a doctor or giving medical advice just parroting what other homeopathic western and asian doctors recommend. They don't want your money every month for supplements, drugs or treatments like western medicine does.
Here's some question and answers below that came up when I was searching for U.S. and Health

Is America healthier than Europe?
Studies have found that the U.S. has seen worse health outcomes for its people compared to other nations at the same wealth level, including many nations within the EU

Is the United States a healthy country?
"The U.S. has the lowest life expectancy at birth, the highest death rates for avoidable or treatable conditions, the highest maternal and infant mortality, and among the highest suicide rates. The U.S. has the highest rate of people with multiple chronic conditions and an obesity rate nearly twice the OECD average"

Ask yourself why so many obese people in these clinics are American? You don't see Asians, Africans (from Africa), South Americans, or European born people crowding these places. it's the U.S. diet, poor food choices and lack of some form of moderate exercise.
I'm not perfect as tend to eat 2x of health foods to feel full but I do get my workouts in to keep my weight in check.

Just the other day I saw a commercial for KFC. It was fried chicken with pepperoni pizza on top. I mean, WTH is that? Instead of one bad fast food, let's make it doubly bad for you. No wonder we get more obese every year. Eat bad until you pop.

Source: holistic doctors, JAMA and other US studies.

Last edited by frankrj; 03-03-2024 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 08:19 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
So one new study saying it ages you faster?? Really? Totally unbelievable from the thousands of studies and testimonials of those who do exercise not for aging slowly but for long-term inner and outer health benefits.
So the study was only on 11,000 Finnish same-sex twins over 25 years who were sedentary, moderately active, active, and those who are hyper-exercise freaks.
Of course extreme compulsive hyper-exercise is unhealthy. This is known and and has not been seriously challenged to my knowledge. Those who are in this category are a minuscule % of the overall population. To make the leap that "exercise make you age faster" is beyond silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
It didn't account for asians, latinos, blacks, or caucasians in the US in these four categories.

Food choices plays a huge part in the aging process as gut health determines so much in your appearance.
The study didn't distinguish those who ate moderately healthy, very healthy, or extremely healthy since age 20, age 30...
The study didn't distinguish those who worked a sedentary job vs. those who had to move, lift or walk a lot in their careers.
This study is flawed all around so there is no conclusion anyone else except for same-sex Finnish twins.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:03 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Thank God!!!

Now I can quit exercising and feel zero guilt!

What do they say about eating? Please tell me they say Krispy Kreme donuts slow down the aging process.

Thank you!, that's what we needed and I got a good laugh on that.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Thank God!!!

Now I can quit exercising and feel zero guilt!

What do they say about eating? Please tell me they say Krispy Kreme donuts slow down the aging process.

Sorry, no benefit to donuts, but bacon, yes!

Of my friends and relatives that have needed new replacement knees or hips there are two apparent reasons:

They were either obese, and their weight was too much for the joints, or they were in good shape and ran a lot, just wore them out from use.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
This from NYT 4 days ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/w...ology-dna.html

Why Do We Age?
Scientists are investigating how our biology changes as the years add up, and whether there are ways to stop it.

"...Regular exercise — experts’ top recommendation for how to age well — is one of the best ways to improve mitochondrial health..."

Old 03-27-2024, 06:43 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
If the person is not messing with PEDs, the only thing they need to remember is:
"Moderation is the Key"

That has always been the golden motto, followed very closely by:
- Proper form
- Proper nutrition
- Proper rest

Old 04-02-2024, 08:09 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sorry, no benefit to donuts, but bacon, yes!

Of my friends and relatives that have needed new replacement knees or hips there are two apparent reasons:

They were either obese, and their weight was too much for the joints, or they were in good shape and ran a lot, just wore them out from use.
And what are those health benefits of bacon you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness