Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 07:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thank you for posting this. I was shocked that my bone density was poor, no symptoms, so I'm glad you made this comment to encourage other older adults to work on balance and weights. I've learned that breaking a hip has a huge fatality rate. That same point was emphasized by Dr. Attia in his book Outlive when he talked about how any injury can impact an older person's longevity. They quit exercising while recovering and that affects their whole body. He has some great info and tips in that book.
My wife deals with osteoporosis patients. Many of them are finding out in their 50s that they have poor bone density making them susceptible to fractures. She stresses the importance of diet early in life to build bone density. It requires prescription drugs later in life to try to correct poor diet and lack of exercise up to that point. The majority of her patients are women. Many women over 60-65 have never exercised in their entire life. When she asks if they lift weights, they will tell her they have these 1.5 lb. dumbbells that they exercise with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 07:18 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Walk into your local Walmart and tell me how many people you see who look like they're the sort of extreme endurance athlete whose regimen might be prematurely aging them, and how many people you see whose sedentary lifestyle is prematurely aging them.

This is not a helpful message in a world where half of Americans are overweight and out of shape. Trust me, they will seize upon this as an excuse to continue sitting on their butts, stuffing themselves, and using our expensive health insurance on their lifestyle-induced illnesses.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
I will agree that distance runners look sick, in general. Gaunt. Triathletes especially.

And people who lift weights every day look like cartoon characters. Kind of silly.

We're not meant for those things.

But people who routinely hike, play tennis, kayak for recreation, etc., look very healthy and seem happier than those who are sedentary.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I will agree that distance runners look sick, in general. Gaunt. Triathletes especially.

And people who lift weights every day look like cartoon characters. Kind of silly.

We're not meant for those things.

But people who routinely hike, play tennis, kayak for recreation, etc., look very healthy and seem happier than those who are sedentary.
I'll bet you haven't seen very many people who fall into either of those categories. I've seen some elite runners who look like that because I saw them at large races.

The people you describe who lift weights are bodybuilders. Few people who lift weights are bodybuilders. Most people do not have the genetics to become extremally muscular.

I was a distance runner and still lift weights. I don't fall into either category.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:13 AM

2,286 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Walk into your local Walmart and tell me how many people you see who look like they're the sort of extreme endurance athlete whose regimen might be prematurely aging them, and how many people you see whose sedentary lifestyle is prematurely aging them.

This is not a helpful message in a world where half of Americans are overweight and out of shape. Trust me, they will seize upon this as an excuse to continue sitting on their butts, stuffing themselves, and using our expensive health insurance on their lifestyle-induced illnesses.
Exactly. That's why I hate the click-baity article titles. They're playing people for fools (and let's face it, many are) and they'll read the article purely as justification to continue their poor lifestyle choices.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:43 PM

998 posts, read 540,716 times
New study suggests that reading new studies will age you faster! I think that headline would be more accurate.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Cool!

Then I'll probably live to be 200!

Old 12-18-2023, 10:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The study wasn't very convincing to me. Besides, exercise has more benefits that just living LONGER. Exercise provides a much better QUALITY OF LIFE than does a sedentary lifestyle.

I'm a senior citizen myself and I live in a retirement community with other seniors (generally 50+ but average age of perhaps 66 to 68). On a daily basis I can see how those who are fit have a much better quality of life than those who never get off their butt except to get something to eat.

I played pickleball today for nearly two hours with only one short 15-minute break. Many people who are 10, 15, or 20 years younger than me couldn't last 10 minutes on a pickleball court, yet they can waddle their way to the next "all you can eat" buffet. You won't convince me that the enjoyment they get from eating can match the enjoyment I get from being in shape and feeling good 24/7.
I totally agree with your statements about exercise and quality of life. However, I sense a bit of your disdain for those who don't exercise or are not as fit as you. You never know another person's life, or what they may be going thru and exactly why they aren't as active as you. Just saying...

Old 12-18-2023, 11:33 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I totally agree with your statements about exercise and quality of life. However, I sense a bit of your disdain for those who don't exercise or are not as fit as you. You never know another person's life, or what they may be going thru and exactly why they aren't as active as you. Just saying...
Do you honestly think with over 70% either overweight or obese in the U.S , that there are really that many exceptions? I'm thinking not.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Do you honestly think with over 70% either overweight or obese in the U.S , that there are really that many exceptions? I'm thinking not.
At least 70% are overweight or obese. Maybe even over 80%. Quick rule of thumb, if you cannot see your abs when you lift up your shirt, you're overweight. If your stomach hangs over your belt, you're obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness