Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 09:16 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Yes, also make sure to have a diet rich (or take supplements) in vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Phosphorus, Iron, Copper and Boron are also vital. In addition to protein and strength training.
My doctor is a data geek and after extensive testing to rule out other causes, I'm on a specific regimen of supplements & hormones. Our goal is to reverse it or at least improve the bone strength and avoid meds, as well as turn me into a super woman, lol.

But honestly, this is a good reason to avoid falling for headlines like in the OP. Don't take your health for granted. I want to be healthy and strong as I get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 09:46 AM

10,570 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
OP here,

I walk 3 miles daily...I find that sufficient. I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happier with buns of cinnamon.
Is that your daily walk, not counting other steps taken during waking hours?

If so, that's good. If it's the total number of steps taken for the day as recorded by a smart watch/fit bit, it's on the low end of average for an older adult in US.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:52 AM

10,570 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Strength training can help reverse osteoporosis. So can anything that is high-impact like jumping or running. Walking not as much...
Not likely that many older folks diagnosed with osteo will take up running or jumping!

I was impressed when my minimally active, late 80's neighbors took up weight lifting on the advice of their doctor.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:03 AM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Is that your daily walk, not counting other steps taken during waking hours?

If so, that's good. If it's the total number of steps taken for the day as recorded by a smart watch/fit bit, it's on the low end of average for an older adult in US.
Here in Canada going for a 3 mile walk is an admiral goal for us who are older. I don't have a smart watch/fit bit.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:07 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, I can't be certain of the cause of the demise of the 100. But if I posted the group photo, it is quite obvious who has exercised over their lifetime and who has not.
Yeah, there's that. Move it or lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This study illustrates how you can conclude anything from a "study", no matter how untrue it actually is. Garbage in, garbage out.
Indeed. First and foremost, a "study" IMO is a cash cow designed to keep the writer busy and with a good income.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:08 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Not likely that many older folks diagnosed with osteo will take up running or jumping!

I was impressed when my minimally active, late 80's neighbors took up weight lifting on the advice of their doctor.
Yeah, that's why strength training is a more practical recommendation. The bone needs to be put under mechanical load greater than what you get doing average daily activities to slow down and hopefully reverse osteoporosis.

But, if you're getting up in age and not diagnosed with osteoporosis, doing running and/or jumping can be very preventative.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:20 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Strength training?...You Bet!
I have fiddled with it over the years, but a couple of years ago I got a bit more serious and joined a proper gym and made myself a schedule.

Not too sure about the aging thing, which is the subject here. I'm pretty sure, though, that being a couch potato would age me even more than working out.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:56 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,674,072 times
My parents both lived to 95, both bodies and minds intact, in their own home. They were really independent with grocery shopping, cooking, housework, laundry, etc. in a 3 story house. The only thing they farmed out was lawn care in their late 80s.

Their doctor always told them he didn’t care what they did but just keep moving in some form! He actually told them that housework, with bending, reaching, and pushing, was the best thing they could do. I guess it worked, although they did take afternoon or evening strolls in good weather. Both had been quite athletic in younger days, ate well, were voracious readers, many interests and never smoked.

Genetics play a role also as my dad had at least 3 relatives who lived to 100, all mentally sharp and mobile (2 with walkers for safety). I do notice most of my friends who jogged on hard surfaces, plus intense tennis players, are having knee and hip replacements in their 60s and 70s.

I’m a believer in “all things in moderation” which has worked so far.

Last edited by shamrock4; 12-12-2023 at 12:30 PM..

Old 12-12-2023, 05:14 PM

819 posts, read 584,913 times
I had been exercising for years; walking, hiking, Jazzercise, Zumba (loved that), tennis. It dawned on me that something always hurt. When I went to bed at night, I'd feel the aches and pains everywhere . Then I had two knee surgeries. I decided just to quit all of it. Walking is still nice and that will be my priority/New Year's resolution this coming year. As for the rest, I don't miss the discomfort. Yeah, I gained a few lbs. Maybe that's from the wine.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:38 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
So many in this thread seem to want to blame exercise on their chronic aches and pains. All I can tell you is that the majority of people in my gym never do any mobility work whatsoever. It's never a wise move not to warm up the body or make sure you have the appropriate range of motion before performing exercises. That's much more likely the culprit than the exercise you're performing.

Anyone that does not suffer from osteoporosis or osteopenia can foam roll or do dynamic stretches prior to exercise and follow it up with some static stretching when done (a cold shower will help also). It will go a long way to alleviate many of those aches and pains. And if you're that pushed on time, at least some light lifting with a warm up set before getting into your routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness