Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 02:14 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Do you honestly think with over 70% either overweight or obese in the U.S , that there are really that many exceptions? I'm thinking not.
That is not what I said. And your complete distain, your prejudice, is now clearly showing. I'm done responding to your statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 06:54 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
That is not what I said. And your complete distain, your prejudice, is now clearly showing. I'm done responding to your statements.
Actually this is exactly what you said..."You never know another person's life, or what they may be going thru and exactly why they aren't as active as you"

My comment was appropriate and showed no disdain or prejudice. I'm sorry if an objective, honest response is so troubling to you. I don't believe for a second that over 70% of the people in the United States have some sort of unique situation as your statement implies. It reminds me back in the early 2000's when a large percentage of my overweight clients all had self diagnosed thyroid problems. When questioned on it, not one of them could provide any sort of medical diagnosis from a doctor validating it.

Ultimately what I've found is the majority tend to be sedentary and take in more calories than they burn (amazing how such a fundamental principle tends to apply to most cases). Are there exceptions? Sure. But those tend to be outliers. In my experience, those that want to succeed are not in denial of their situation and really need to hear the truth and how to accomplish their goals. Those that aren't interested in that tend to make up excuses and have no interest in solving their problem (which also is a problem for society as they foot the bill one way or another for the medical problems that come with this group).

Old 12-19-2023, 11:30 PM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
You never know another person's life, or what they may be going thru and exactly why they aren't as active as you.
Oh gosh, yes! So many reasons why someone can't exercise.

There is an endless list of invisible illnesses. Like myalgic encephalomyelitis - a raised heart rate worsens this chronic debilitating condition. Other painful conditions include arthritis, back problems, fibromyalgia etc. etc.

And what about the people at home recovering from surgery or a serious injury all of them with the best intentions but facing barriers. Also, there are some unfortunate souls who suffer from agoraphobia. Emotions can come into play here, too - someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, or someone who has experienced trauma.

Society needs to acknowledge that there is a population who, through no fault of their own are not able to exercise.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:52 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
Well, at least the intent of this thread seems to be finally showing its true colors...to use things like the original article to focus on outliers and extremes, versus looking at the vast majority that don't fall under these categories.

Of course, there's plenty of info that talks about how diet and exercise help with depression/anxiety, blood pressure, osteoporosis, self esteem and a variety of other issues. And I think most would agree this is a better solution than taking pills, or simply focusing on why people can't do something.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:32 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

Society needs to acknowledge that there is a population who, through no fault of their own are not able to exercise.
No one other than yourself cares if you exercise or not. People may judge you negatively if you're obese, but that's better controlled through diet than exercise anyway.

This forum is about people who love to exercise and fitness. I see that you don't. Why are you here?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:42 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:

There is an endless list of invisible illnesses. Like myalgic encephalomyelitis - a raised heart rate worsens this chronic debilitating condition. Other painful conditions include arthritis, back problems, fibromyalgia etc. etc.

And what about the people at home recovering from surgery or a serious injury all of them with the best intentions but facing barriers. Also, there are some unfortunate souls who suffer from agoraphobia. Emotions can come into play here, too - someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, or someone who has experienced trauma.

You're talking about less than 1% of the human population. My mother is in her 80s, has serious physical ailments including COPD and recurring sciatica that is quite painful and she still finds a way to exercise daily.

Exercise can mean walking up and down stairs, going for a walk, etc. etc. Very low impact things that force your heart rate higher. We're not talking about heavy squats or 2+ hours of resistance training.

Even getting up and walking around the house is exercise. Are there people who simply cannot move through no fault of their own? Of course, but that's taking an extreme view of things that doesn't apply to almost everyone.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:45 AM

2,286 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Well, at least the intent of this thread seems to be finally showing its true colors...to use things like the original article to focus on outliers and extremes, versus looking at the vast majority that don't fall under these categories.

Of course, there's plenty of info that talks about how diet and exercise help with depression/anxiety, blood pressure, osteoporosis, self esteem and a variety of other issues. And I think most would agree this is a better solution than taking pills, or simply focusing on why people can't do something.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
No one other than yourself cares if you exercise or not. People may judge you negatively if you're obese, but that's better controlled through diet than exercise anyway.

This forum is about people who love to exercise and fitness. I see that you don't. Why are you here?
And this.

I think we've established that there are those who don't fall under the categories of people who can regularly engage in intense physical training or exercise. We all know that. Thankfully for the other 90% or so of people that aren't the outliers, everything else discussed has been relevant and they need to stop making lame excuses for themselves. Exercise has been proven time and time again to improve quality of life and correlate in many measures with longevity and overall health. This should not be a surprise or controversial.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:58 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:

What, 50% of US residents have an illness not apparent that's preventing them from exercising? Do you REALLY believe that???

And even if they can't exercise, no one's holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to overeat.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:31 AM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times
Quote:

This is so funny!!!...I wrote a very, very kind post and no one bothered to read it - REALLY read it. I won't apologize for being an advocate for those less fortunate than me.

Not once did I mention myself or attack others.

I simply defended people who can't be as physically active as they would like to be.

But, it seems posters here are more interested in ME...I'm very flattered My story is : I have a couple of bum knees but I can manage to go on a daily 3-4mile walk. Others aren't so lucky.

Again, I'm not going to apologize for being benevolent. I'm always complimented on my big heart, and I'm not going to stop despite some internet negativity.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:40 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
This is so funny!!!...I wrote a very, very kind post and no one bothered to read it - REALLY read it. I won't apologize for being an advocate for those less fortunate than me.

Not once did I mention myself or attack others.

I simply defended people who can't be as physically active as they would like to be.

But, it seems posters here are more interested in ME...I'm very flattered My story is : I have a couple of bum knees but I can manage to go on a daily 3-4mile walk. Others aren't so lucky.

Again, I'm not going to apologize for being benevolent. I'm always complimented on my big heart, and I'm not going to stop despite some internet negativity.
Being obese makes it 3 times more likely to develop OA in the knees.

Regular exercise and good diet can help control weight gain so OA in the knees doesn't happen. Just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness