Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 09:23 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Oh, stop......the gist of the study is : “no additional benefits” were found from high levels of exercise. I believe that to be true.
There is probably some curve to longevity benefits from exercise. After a certain point, doing more physical exercise won't increase your life span. And after a certain point, it may decrease it ever so slightly, but basically this point is out of the realm of normalcy. No one exercises that much.

I found and posted the study, it says the complete opposite thing those journalists reported. Not sure if they're just scientifically illiterate or deliberately creating clickbait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 03:25 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
There is probably some curve to longevity benefits from exercise. After a certain point, doing more physical exercise won't increase your life span. And after a certain point, it may decrease it ever so slightly, but basically this point is out of the realm of normalcy. No one exercises that much.

I found and posted the study, it says the complete opposite thing those journalists reported. Not sure if they're just scientifically illiterate or deliberately creating clickbait.
I don't care about living longer. I don't work out just to be healthier. It's how I look that I really care about.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:46 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
.....It's how I look that I really care about.
Lol, reminds me of the famous Fernando Lamas quote ~ "It is better to look good than to feel good."

Old 12-08-2023, 06:55 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
LOL. Hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This study illustrates how you can conclude anything from a "study", no matter how untrue it actually is. Garbage in, garbage out.
Exactly.

Quote:

Of course they are. It's wild that so many fall for these silly clickbait articles.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:32 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
If exercise makes you age faster, I'm gonna live forever. I mean, the study could be wrong, but why risk it!

Old 12-08-2023, 09:02 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
I'm sure at one point there was a study that concluded cigarettes were healthy for people too.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:45 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
This is probably from some group tied to the WEF that wants to depopulate the world. Exercise is the best thing for longevity....period.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
When you are wearing yourself thin due to injuries, fatigue and bodily-breakdown from exercise,
I think you have turned what can be a positive health-wise into a big negative.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:

I skimmed through the study and I expected something different. The definition of vigorous exercise was very loosely defined. I was expecting something like people who ran over 100 mile/week over many years had lower life expectancy than people who did more moderate exercise. They were basically comparing people who did virtually nothing to people who did minimal exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When you are wearing yourself thin due to injuries, fatigue and bodily-breakdown from exercise,
I think you have turned what can be a positive health-wise into a big negative.
The is nothing is in the study about anyone "wearing themselves thin due to injuries, fatigue and bodily-breakdown from exercise."

Old 12-08-2023, 12:53 PM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
I don't care exercising takes away my aggression. Without it I was fighting all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness