Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 01:09 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Oh, the things they come up with in these studies. I wonder who financed this one. Well if you don't exercise you will turn into a big sagging blob from head to tail. If that is what you want then go for it. Our bodies were made to be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I skimmed through the study and I expected something different. The definition of vigorous exercise was very loosely defined. I was expecting something like people who ran over 100 mile/week over many years had lower life expectancy than people who did more moderate exercise. They were basically comparing people who did virtually nothing to people who did minimal exercise.
Yeah, my comment was not referencing the study (which unambiguously found that going from their definition of sedentary to active to vigorously active improved longevity) but more of an overarching principle of the law of diminishing returns. Obviously there exists a point where exercise will be detrimental to ones health, it's just that 99.9% of people will never voluntarily get to that level.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:03 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When you are wearing yourself thin due to injuries, fatigue and bodily-breakdown from exercise,
I think you have turned what can be a positive health-wise into a big negative.
We are supposed to take regular rest days since overtraining wreaks all kinds of havoc on the body. It's the sensible approach. And eating well is also part of the equation. Every cell of the body is regularly replaced/repaired so what we eat is highly important. What do we want these new cells/repairs to be made from? Quality food helps build quality cells. That doesn't mean we can't have yummy delights once in awhile as long as we don't go overboard with them.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
We are supposed to take regular rest days since overtraining wreaks all kinds of havoc on the body. It's the sensible approach. And eating well is also part of the equation. Every cell of the body is regularly replaced/repaired so what we eat is highly important. What do we want these new cells/repairs to be made from? Quality food helps build quality cells. That doesn't mean we can't have yummy delights once in awhile as long as we don't go overboard with them.
You should listen to your body. If your muscles are sore, don't train them. If they're not sore, you can train them.

I personally don't take rest days. I do weight training 4-6 days a week, and when not weight training, cardio (1-3 days a week). Sometimes I even combine cardio and weights, if it's either a) steady state (fast walking uphill) or short in duration but at maximum intensity (so sprints or all out for 3-5 intervals an a airbike).

Old 12-08-2023, 02:19 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The study wasn't very convincing to me. Besides, exercise has more benefits that just living LONGER. Exercise provides a much better QUALITY OF LIFE than does a sedentary lifestyle..

This right here. Even if the study were true, would you rather die at 75 walking, running, going on vacations...or live to 90 and spend the last 10 years pushing yourself around in a wheelchair?

Old 12-08-2023, 04:06 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I found the study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/187228

And well surprise, the findings are completely different than that article summarized. In fact vigorous physical activity was a better predicator of longevity than moderate physical activity which was better than being sedentary. No mention of "aging" at all, in fact how would you measure it? Wrinkles?
That's not quite the same study as mentioned in the article. The one you posted is the original publication version that is now over 25 years old (published in 1998), and covers data collected through 1994. The one mentioned in the article is a followup to that study using many of the same original study cohort but splitting it into new activity variables.

HOWEVER, yes it is still a click-baity article (aren't they pretty much all these days?), and yes there are certainly a number of flaws with the methodology of the study. First and foremost is the fact it's a self-reported study. People lie, and especially about their activity levels, diet, and personal habits. Secondly, they don't differentiate well between different TYPES of exercise in their analysis. There could be substantial differences in outcomes between those who engage in high amounts of steady state cardio versus those who engage in weight training, for example.

The former has been proven to cause increase free-radical production in cells through longer term VO2 Max threshhold elevation causing decreased length of time of cell's ability to repair and recover during long term intense exercise (think triathletes and serious endurance runners). This can cause higher incidence of certain cancers in those athletes as well as myocardial fibrosis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538475/.

No such effects have been found from engaging in moderate cardio activities or from weight training type activities. In fact, weight training seems to have the opposite effect, providing increases in mitochondrial functioning while also giving mild cardiovascular benefits, thus not only increasing physical quality of life but also longevity. In fact, the highest correlation found in senior's quality of life and longevity was found to be strength, followed by mobility and flexibility. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117172/

Old 12-08-2023, 04:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The study wasn't very convincing to me. Besides, exercise has more benefits that just living LONGER. Exercise provides a much better QUALITY OF LIFE than does a sedentary lifestyle.

I'm a senior citizen myself and I live in a retirement community with other seniors (generally 50+ but average age of perhaps 66 to 68). On a daily basis I can see how those who are fit have a much better quality of life than those who never get off their butt except to get something to eat.

I played pickleball today for nearly two hours with only one short 15-minute break. Many people who are 10, 15, or 20 years younger than me couldn't last 10 minutes on a pickleball court, yet they can waddle their way to the next "all you can eat" buffet. You won't convince me that the enjoyment they get from eating can match the enjoyment I get from being in shape and feeling good 24/7.
I too live in a 55+ community. My exercise of choice is getting on my bike, putting the yorkie in the basket and away we go for at least 30-45 minutes. Best medicine for depression.

Two ladies in their 70's go the YMCA every morning and swim. They look great. I'm sure they could kick my ass in a relay race.

Congrats on your pickleball stamina, something I used to have a few years ago but alas I am just grateful to be able to ride my bike and walk to the store (5 blocks) and back. Its the little things.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
That's not quite the same study as mentioned in the article. The one you posted is the original publication version that is now over 25 years old (published in 1998), and covers data collected through 1994. The one mentioned in the article is a followup to that study using many of the same original study cohort but splitting it into new activity variables.

HOWEVER, yes it is still a click-baity article (aren't they pretty much all these days?), and yes there are certainly a number of flaws with the methodology of the study. First and foremost is the fact it's a self-reported study. People lie, and especially about their activity levels, diet, and personal habits. Secondly, they don't differentiate well between different TYPES of exercise in their analysis. There could be substantial differences in outcomes between those who engage in high amounts of steady state cardio versus those who engage in weight training, for example.

The former has been proven to cause increase free-radical production in cells through longer term VO2 Max threshhold elevation causing decreased length of time of cell's ability to repair and recover during long term intense exercise (think triathletes and serious endurance runners). This can cause higher incidence of certain cancers in those athletes as well as myocardial fibrosis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538475/.

No such effects have been found from engaging in moderate cardio activities or from weight training type activities. In fact, weight training seems to have the opposite effect, providing increases in mitochondrial functioning while also giving mild cardiovascular benefits, thus not only increasing physical quality of life but also longevity. In fact, the highest correlation found in senior's quality of life and longevity was found to be strength, followed by mobility and flexibility. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117172/
If that's not the study can you post that study here? Not an article, but the study itself.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:39 PM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
1. I don't pay much attention to such "studies" ... Given my experience as a research scientist ( and subsequently as a manager of ~400 PhD scientists ) I understand that you can "prove" just about anything to someone who wants to believe it, and scientific results can be "interpreted" so many different ways. Biggest problem is that the people who "summarize" the results weren't involved in the study and do not understand either the science or the methodology ( but wrongly think that they do ). This is especially true of medical research that leads to "guidelines" ... Those guidelines work for many "ordinary" people, or at least for most of the people included in the study, but not for everyone.

2. All that said, I am determined to age gracefully. So far so good. 76 years old, healthy and fit all my life. Still walk 1 to 3 miles a day and enjoy every minute of it. I truly value the quality of life.

3. I do believe ( without scientific "proof" ) that over-doing exercise is not good for you. Likewise over-eating. I exercise enough to stay fit, not so much that I ever feel tired.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:44 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
“Rest day” would be activities other than those of high intensity.
So, this means you can do plenty of work or play on these days, don’t have to sit on butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness