Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 04:47 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Right, not to mention, you won't lose that much fat in just a 1 day fast, so it's not suitable for weight loss either. You need to find a diet you can last for the long term.
In the beginning, fasting or keto results in water weight loss. It's true that one day of fasting won't reduce fat, but if you fast regularly -- even just one or two days a week -- that will result in an overall lower calorie intake and thus, theoretically, weight loss over time (unless you make it up when you're not fasting). I don't think DAILY fasting is good for the metabolism, however, as I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 06:28 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,779,158 times
I tried intermittent fasting 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) balanced with a very healthy low carb diet and also went to the gym and I lost very minimal weight over the course of a month. I used to lose weight just thinking about it but once I hit 45, nothing I do seems to drop the weight anymore and its extremely unmotivating. I dont find fasting difficult because if I am busy, I generally dont even think about food which is why I thought I would give it a shot.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:25 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,523,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In the beginning, fasting or keto results in water weight loss. It's true that one day of fasting won't reduce fat, but if you fast regularly -- even just one or two days a week -- that will result in an overall lower calorie intake and thus, theoretically, weight loss over time (unless you make it up when you're not fasting). I don't think DAILY fasting is good for the metabolism, however, as I said.
Yes, the bulk of the weight lost right away is water.

During regular fasting your NEAT will decline, and the weight that you lose will be substantially more muscle than if you just did a mild calorie deficit.

So it's not ideal for weight loss. It's also a extreme form of dieting that most people cannot keep up with more than a few months.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:34 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
I really have a hard time understanding such drastic diets. Why is it so hard to simply focus on eating healthy combined with regular exercise? I get food cravings as much as anyone but I refuse to stock my pantry with junk food or things that I know I will overeat.

Give yourself a cheat meal every week, workout regularly (cardio and resistance training) and don't even purchase crappy food so you're not tempted. Do that versus starving yourself for hours or days on end and you'll be just fine.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:49 AM

The hype behind fasting was that, deprived of quick glycogen sources (food), your body would basically cannibalize your stored fat. Just as, instead of stopping at every gas station to top off the tank, you use that can of gas stored in the trunk when your tank runs dry to operate your car instead, so would that "junk in the trunk" fuel your body. Seems logical, but it doesn't always work that way unless you literally starve for long periods. I personally find - or found - it easier to go without eating altogether than to eat just a little, stop while I'm still hungry, or to regularly eat food I don't particularly like. If IF actually worked for weight loss, that would be my chosen method. But, again, it doesn't seem to (at least for me). I'm now eating two or three times a day, but TRYING to eat less and fewer carbs. Regardless of what I do, though, I seem to be stuck at the same weight.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:54 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,523,962 times
Quote:
The hype behind fasting was that, deprived of quick glycogen sources (food), your body would basically cannibalize your stored fat. Just as, instead of stopping at every gas station to top off the tank, you use that can of gas stored in the trunk when your tank runs dry to operate your car instead, so would that "junk in the trunk" fuel your body. Seems logical, but it doesn't always work that way unless you literally starve for long periods. I personally find - or found - it easier to go without eating altogether than to eat just a little, stop while I'm still hungry, or to regularly eat food I don't particularly like. If IF actually worked for weight loss, that would be my chosen method. But, again, it doesn't seem to (at least for me). I'm now eating two or three times a day, but TRYING to eat less and fewer carbs. Regardless of what I do, though, I seem to be stuck at the same weight.
Your body is constantly cannibalizing and topping off your fat stores. In a 1 day fast, you may lose half a lb of fat, but you will add it back the next day when you eat, and probably binge due to the 1 day fast.

What I'd recommend is for you to buy a scale and weigh everything that you're eating, to get an accurate calorie assessment. Then if you're trying to lose weight, cut 10-20% of the calories you're eating off. It's easier if you eat the same food items on the same days so all you need to do is eat 10-20% less weight and don't need to do a more complicated calculation.

Hold for 2 weeks, and keep cutting if weight is not coming off.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 636,717 times
Fasting has very little to do with losing weight / fat.

Many cultures and religions practice it.

What I understand is that the human body use to have prolonged periods of "zero ingestion or calories". The hunter / gatherer of our ancestors have always had periods of starvation between successful hunts.

Basically our "embarrassment" of riches in calories is a recent development and our bodies have not evolved to adopt it.

I would like to try it... but TBH I suspect I wouldn't be able to do it and function. It'd be like when I stopped smoking... but even worse lol.

To the OP, I suspect you are better off posting this in the Health and Wellness section, not the fitness. I know I couldn't fast when I was working out hardcore. My body needed the calories.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:22 AM

Fasting isn't a "diet." You don't necessarily change what or even how much you eat, but rather WHEN you eat.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:36 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
Fasting isn't a "diet." You don't necessarily change what or even how much you eat, but rather WHEN you eat.
Boy I don't know. If I didn't eat for 24/48 hours you can bet my diet would change dramatically. I'd be at Five Guys downing a double burger, large fries and large Coke after that drastic starvation, lol.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:54 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,166,428 times
Any other 24 hour water as well as food-fasters here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness