Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 10:34 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was going to say I'd never heard of "leisurely weightlifting before" but quickly remembered the 60something dude with the 1984 feathered back hairdo who leisurely lifts weights every single day and hogs machines while talking to anyone who so much as makes eye contact with him.
Most people in the gym are doing leisurely weightlifting.

They do 20-30 seconds of lifting and then take a break for somewhere between two to five minutes. Seriously, if you want to creep on some people get a stop watch and go down to your local big box gym and see how much time most people spend actually exercising, particularly ones that don't do cardio. They're not really doing that much less than the weird retired guy who thinks it's a social club. He got the idea once when he went to the gym when he was still working. Huh, all these gym bros mostly sit around and look at themselves in the mirrors and chew the fat. Now that I'm retired, I think I'll do that... after I get my hair did since I'll be looking at myself in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 04:37 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Yup you have to be doing a full body circuit workout where you are doing ~ 1 set a minute to be burning any considerable amount of calories. Based on recording my heartrate / VO2 etc... even when doing an intense high volume full body session, the rate of caloric burn is about the same as jogging / light running.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:36 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most people in the gym are doing leisurely weightlifting.

They do 20-30 seconds of lifting and then take a break for somewhere between two to five minutes. Seriously, if you want to creep on some people get a stop watch and go down to your local big box gym and see how much time most people spend actually exercising, particularly ones that don't do cardio. They're not really doing that much less than the weird retired guy who thinks it's a social club. He got the idea once when he went to the gym when he was still working. Huh, all these gym bros mostly sit around and look at themselves in the mirrors and chew the fat. Now that I'm retired, I think I'll do that... after I get my hair did since I'll be looking at myself in the mirror.
Have you ever tried lifting weights without resting between sets? I need more rest between sets for different exercises. For example, I can do 11-13 pull-ups on my first set. The next sets depend on how long I rest between sets. With only a one minute rest, I'm doing less than five reps. Squats is probably the second worst for me as far as needing to rest between sets. On machines, I only need a minimal rest between sets.

I really see no benefit in trying to lift weights without resting between sets. For cardiovascular exercise try running, swimming, rowing, or cycling.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
There's a stationary bike I use every day in my apartment's gym downstairs. It has a calorie counter, although how accurate it is, who knows? It's amazing how little calories I burn off on it. I also ride an eBike every day and use my legs a lot, the motor is basically for going up hills, which are everywhere in Little Rock.

I used to think riding that bike was really burning the calories off, but now I realize the surest way to either lose weight or stay where you are is by watching what you eat. I could die pedaling that stationary bike trying to get off the downsides of just one candy bar!

Old 01-15-2024, 01:20 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I used to think riding that bike was really burning the calories off, but now I realize the surest way to either lose weight or stay where you are is by watching what you eat. I could die pedaling that stationary bike trying to get off the downsides of just one candy bar!
But you should be pedaling that bike to increase your cardiovascular fitness, strengthen your leg muscles, and improve your mood, not to punish yourself for enjoying a piece of candy.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:30 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I love infographics and here is one:

https://www.livescience.com/40524-ho...fographic.html

And this table.
Incinerating 500 calories (based on various calculator averages):

https://breakingmuscle.com/20-ways-t...-500-calories/

But you don't only burn calories at the gym, but also doing chores:

More info about other chores here:
https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy....ries-every-day

Old 01-15-2024, 04:00 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
That top one is either misleading or off.

Treadmills burn slightly less than road running, but not enough to make a difference.

Running burns 0.62 KCal x lbs x miles.
Walking burns 0.34 KCal x lbs x miles.

Biking burns Watts x hours x 3.6.

Running speed doesn't really matter - until it becomes a walk.
Walking speed doesn't really matter - until it becomes a run.
Biking weight doesn't matter at all. Or if it's stationary.

So if I weight 200lbs and run 8 miles in an hour, that's 992 KCal/hr.
If I walk 4 miles in an hour, that's 272 KCal/hr.
My FTP is 172W, so I can do that all day. 619 KCal/hr.

Bradley Wiggins had a FTP of 440 when he won the Olympics. That's 1584 KCal/hr (and at 83 kg, 8.3 W/kg, which is way on the pointy end of world class obviously)

Old 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
That top one is either misleading or off.

Treadmills burn slightly less than road running, but not enough to make a difference.

Running burns 0.62 KCal x lbs x miles.
Walking burns 0.34 KCal x lbs x miles.

Biking burns Watts x hours x 3.6.

Running speed doesn't really matter - until it becomes a walk.
Walking speed doesn't really matter - until it becomes a run.
Biking weight doesn't matter at all. Or if it's stationary.

So if I weight 200lbs and run 8 miles in an hour, that's 992 KCal/hr.
If I walk 4 miles in an hour, that's 272 KCal/hr.
My FTP is 172W, so I can do that all day. 619 KCal/hr.

Bradley Wiggins had a FTP of 440 when he won the Olympics. That's 1584 KCal/hr (and at 83 kg, 8.3 W/kg, which is way on the pointy end of world class obviously)
Yeah, unless you're doing elevation or running faster treadmill is not going to be higher... of course if you're running faster or at an incline that can use more calories per hour but then you could also just run faster up a hill.

Sex... most be counting for women who are bad in bed and just lay there like logs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness