Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 08:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Just saw this pop up. From USA Today 17 hours ago.

“Within the "moderate physical activity" category, a 154-pound person burns 180 calories an hour stretching, 220 calories an hour leisurely weightlifting, 290 calories an hour leisurely bicycling, 330 calories an hour dancing, 330 calories an hour golfing (when carrying one's own clubs and walking instead of using a golf cart), and 370 calories an hour hiking.
Within the "vigorous physical activity" category, a 154-pound person burns 440 calories an hour playing basketball, 440 calories an hour weightlifting ("with vigorous effort"), 460 calories an hour walking briskly, 510 calories an hour swimming, 590 calories an hour bicycling at 10 mph or greater, and 590 calories an hour running.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...s/71924576007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 09:13 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
So, about 100 calories an hour sitting and watching cat-vids. Nearly 600 calories an hour
doing a fairly hard workout.

Basically, you can work-out 7 days a week, for an hour a day, and in theory burn enough to lose a pound, or eat an extra 3500 calories and maintain. The cost/benefit ratio does not seem that good to me.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:20 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So, about 100 calories an hour sitting and watching cat-vids. Nearly 600 calories an hour
doing a fairly hard workout.

Basically, you can work-out 7 days a week, for an hour a day, and in theory burn enough to lose a pound, or eat an extra 3500 calories and maintain. The cost/benefit ratio does not seem that good to me.

Exercise isn't great for weight loss. It's great for a lot of other health reasons, but losing weight needs to have a calorie deficit. Decoupling exercise and movement from the idea that you need it to burn off your food, rather than needing it to build strength and endurance and even have fun can put people in a better mindset toward their health in general.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:49 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I was going to say I'd never heard of "leisurely weightlifting before" but quickly remembered the 60something dude with the 1984 feathered back hairdo who leisurely lifts weights every single day and hogs machines while talking to anyone who so much as makes eye contact with him.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:50 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was going to say I'd never heard of "leisurely weightlifting before" but quickly remembered the 60something dude with the 1984 feathered back hairdo who leisurely lifts weights every single day and hogs machines while talking to anyone who so much as makes eye contact with him.
I'd estimate 90% of people are lifting weights leisurely at most commercial gyms.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exercise isn't great for weight loss. It's great for a lot of other health reasons, but losing weight needs to have a calorie deficit. Decoupling exercise and movement from the idea that you need it to burn off your food, rather than needing it to build strength and endurance and even have fun can put people in a better mindset toward their health in general.
The point is not the per-hour calorie expenditure while you're doing the activity. The point is that it raises your overall metabolism, not only while you're doing the activity.

Ever notice how it's all the fat people who're excessively bundled up when it turns cold, and the athletes are fine with a light jacket?

Old 01-08-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'd estimate 90% of people are lifting weights leisurely at most commercial gyms.
Yup.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:45 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Ever notice how it's all the fat people who're excessively bundled up when it turns cold, and the athletes are fine with a light jacket?
No. Low levels of bodyfat mean that the person has little protection from the cold. When preparing for athletic competitions, (which was usually in the summer) air conditioning was excruciating. I still use a heating pad on my lap at work and at home. Heating pad on lap right now. I am not saying I am anything great at this time athletically. I am probably below a healthy weight for bone density reasons.

It is the people with high blood pressure that keep the office exceptionally cold. I don't know about overweight, but the men in the office with high blood pressure are always hot.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
No. Low levels of bodyfat mean that the person has little protection from the cold. When preparing for athletic competitions, (which was usually in the summer) air conditioning was excruciating. I still use a heating pad on my lap at work and at home. Heating pad on lap right now. I am not saying I am anything great at this time athletically. I am probably below a healthy weight for bone density reasons.

It is the people with high blood pressure that keep the office exceptionally cold. I don't know about overweight, but the men in the office with high blood pressure are always hot.
Agreed. I see fat guys outside in freezing weather wearing shorts and t-shirts, not skinny guys like me.

I'm extremely susceptible to getting cold when temps drop in the 20's, especially my hands and feet.

I will be wearing only shorts and T-shirt while running trails by the glacier in Juneau when temps are high 40s or above, while all the tourists are bundled up in parkas, gloves, rain gear etc. They probably think I'm a tough Alaskan. Not really. When the run is done- need more clothes!

Old 01-10-2024, 09:59 AM

732 posts, read 406,849 times
Rowing burns 400 to 1000+ calories per hour(cph). My range is 850-950 cph when at pace. I reach higher levels but it's not sustainable and what's the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness