Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 01:04 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I couldn't stand all the jump cuts/perfectionist editing that all videos undergo nowadays...drives me nuts. Got about halfway through. But yes, agree with what she said based on her exposure to Korean compared to British/Western cultures and cuisines. I'm American and am constantly shocked and repulsed by typical portion sizes at restaurants, it's literally three meals worth of food.

And ditto to all the fried & processed foods that everyone eats because it's become normalized for Western palates. I've been outcast enough over the years to know that it's now firmly ingrained into the popular culture, and ridiculed for choosing healthier food choices.
I won't say I'm repulsed by the portion sizes themselves, but rather that most seem to finish the entire meal at the restaurant, and then go home to snack again. For the huge portion sizes, we almost always take something home to eat at a later meal time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 01:10 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I won't say I'm repulsed by the portion sizes themselves, but rather that most seem to finish the entire meal at the restaurant, and then go home to snack again. For the huge portion sizes, we almost always take something home to eat at a later meal time.
How do you know most people eat a huge meal then go home and snack??

Old 01-21-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
It might not be in that order, but most Americans certainly are doing a lot of snacking in addition to eating large portion sized meals.

Quote:
Currently, more than 90% of U.S. adults report eating one or more snacks on any given day, with an average of between 1.2 and 3.0 snacking occurrences per day. Over the past few decades, snacking, which may be a response to physiological or emotional “hunger” for energy and/or satiety, has been increasing in frequency and volume.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10097271/

Quote:
In the study, researchers learned that snacks accounted for 19.5% to 22.4% of people’s energy intake every day.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanaban...h=d5da8624ec8e

This meshes with my own anecdotal observations as well. Americans have an overeating problem, and it's not just do to large portion sized meals.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:49 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
We do because we can. Doesn't mean you always should, but it's nice to have the option.
You see, the "option" should be specifically made by a customer - like consciously asking for a double portion. The rest of us who just should stay with normal size meal - should get a normal size portion. But the increase of portion size creeped on us slowly and now we just have an option to leave excess food on a plate, share it, take home, or stuff ourselves with it - those aren't options everyone like.
Most of us already have enlarged stomach, and don't even notice that we eat more as we should. Clothes made of elastic fabrics aren't stopping us either, nor is culture of wearing "comfortable" AKA oversized clothes that leave a lot of room for growing fat handles.
Clothes in the 50's were fitted. They would tell us that we gained weight, but not now.

Also lots of people didn't notice that with the increase portion size came decreased quality. Most just want to make most of their buck - which translates to getting overstuffed plates with cheap carbs, gravy, over processed, cheap food.
Look at the size of desserts nowadays. It's like 1/8 of a cake...

When 99% of restaurants gradually increased portion size to match them with prices, most people just happily accepted that. Can't say that they had option.
We are happy that our food is cheap and plentiful. We brag about huge portions. That our restaurant portion are much bigger that everywhere in the Western World and we ridicule smaller portions we get overseas.

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2024 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2024, 02:45 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that (most) anyone can be slim if they watch what they eat and move around (walking, biking, exercises).
Lot of it is exercising personal restraint (will), knowing about nutritions and consuming healthy food.
Just look what the Koreans eat and how much of it. They rely on whole, minimally-processed foods and a lot of vegetables. Lots of healthy fermented food and probiotics.
They also care about their image, clothes, skin care etc..

But I think the slimmest people are Vietnamese, Indians living in India (in the US they gain weight rapidly), Italians in Europe.

Average 20 y.o woman in the US weight 170 lb, in contrary to Korean that weights > 130 lb.
There is no "they". Some do and a lot do not. It is the same in every country. There are fat Italians and fat Asians and fat Indians. Let's call it what it is.
Fast food and convenience foods are in high demand everywhere.
You have to factor height, muscle and bone structure in. I may have been 130 pounds at 12 or so. 170 puts me at a size 4. At 146 medical provider filed abuse charges against SO. Your average Vietnamese lady comes to my shoulders and they do come in rotund. At least some of our friends in DC do.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
There is no "they". Some do and a lot do not. It is the same in every country. There are fat Italians and fat Asians and fat Indians. Let's call it what it is.
Fast food and convenience foods are in high demand everywhere.
You have to factor height, muscle and bone structure in. I may have been 130 pounds at 12 or so. 170 puts me at a size 4. At 146 medical provider filed abuse charges against SO. Your average Vietnamese lady comes to my shoulders and they do come in rotund. At least some of our friends in DC do.
I see your point, but the "some" who do can vary by a lot depending on the country, which is influenced by a host of things (from culture to dietary preferences, etc.) and goes into the "they." In Japan, for instance--where you struggle to find overweight citizens walking the streets--not only do fast food portion sizes tend to be smaller, but the fast food places tend to be much less popular than in the U.S. To be clear, fast food places are there, but you don't see the same crowds there. Compare this to Taiwan, where there fast food places are much more popular, and you see a much higher number/percentage of larger waist sizes to boot.

True, you'll find fat Japanese, etc., but I then ask where you find these people. For reference point, Japan has an obesity index of less than 4%. It wouldn't shock me if the prevalence of overweight people of Japanese descent was greater outside of Japan, especially the more removed people are from their immigrant relatives.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:13 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Because "we" are frickin' huge as a society and a nation. Pretty hard to ignore.

And so many of our events/traditions are centered around crap food: baseball/football games (hot dogs, soda, etc), same goes for Independence Day picnics.

Great post by Elnina above. Bring back normal size portions at restaurants and reduce the prices a bit, along with food waste and all those to-go containers that end up in the trash. If patrons want to eat like pigs they are free to "super size" it, as is offered at McDonald's.

I wish I could order from the senior menu at restaurants but I'm not old enough. The portions tend to be smaller and the price is lower.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:18 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Because "we" are frickin' huge as a society and a nation. Pretty hard to ignore.

And so many of our events/traditions are centered around crap food: baseball/football games (hot dogs, soda, etc), same goes for Independence Day picnics.

Great post by Elnina above. Bring back normal size portions at restaurants and reduce the prices a bit, along with food waste and all those to-go containers that end up in the trash. If patrons want to eat like pigs they are free to "super size" it, as is offered at McDonald's.

I wish I could order from the senior menu at restaurants but I'm not old enough. The portions tend to be smaller and the price is lower.
Nobody forces you to eat out or to finish your plate. You can always take the to go container aka doggy bag.
No more 4th of July picnics? Please put your face on the poster announcing that.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
My Korean girlfriend is really fit and thin. We generally go eat traditional Korean food which is just tons of kimchi, small dishes of fish, veggies, bean sprouts, and tofu. We never go to eat some type of huge buffet or k-pot AYC that is so much food only Americans can eat that much.

This is a sample of our tablet, seaweed, pickles, kimchi, tofu, just small portions of meats. There's a seafood pancake and that's it.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
^^ Looks delish to this American palate. In life I've tried to follow a diet where a serving of food is a rainbow of colors, kind of like the photo above. So many typical American foods are bland in color...white, beige, brown. All starches or fried meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness