Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:06 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times

Advertisements

I remember very well the first time I tried Good Mornings. It was an exhilarating experience- it was only with a bar (unloaded), and it still rocked my world. I couldn't fathom that I'd work up to having a 45 plate on each side of the bar for this... but I did. This was my first "WTH?" kind of movement (because it sure looks weird and draws stares) and since then I've been very interested in learning more movements that don't get enough play in gyms. For those unfamiliar, this is a Good Morning, and it is a hamstring movement: Barbell Good-morning

For example, last week I started doing Bulgarian Split Squats for the first time- necessitated by my chiropractor's instruction to avoid loading weight on my spine. What a humbling and awesome movement! I'm working on mastering it- for now with just bodyweight. It requires balance, strength, and it's definitely in the "WTH?" category for me. The Bulgarian SPlit Squat (BSS) is a quad movement. Here is the video (I do them in the Smith machine, not from a bench): Barbell Single Leg Split Squat

I'm always looking to learn cool new movements. Let's hear from everyone, advanced and novice, about the movements that make you go "whoa, this is awesome!" Share the cool, people! If you have videos of yourself performing the movement, even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
I just found this the other day. I'm pretty sure I didn't get it from here, but I can't recall.

Burpee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I just started working out about a month ago so a lot of this is new to me, but I really like doing double crunches where your legs and upper body both go up. I guess it is kind of like an atomic situp.

Last edited by J Arp; 06-30-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: more input

Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 AM

Issue: lower back pain (inflamed something or other which passes from the spine through the pelvic bone...)

Problem: Pain during free weight rowing movements and seated rowing movements. Heck, pain during any kind of leaning forward- brushing teeth blows.

Solution of sorts: (discovered today) Wide Grip rowing while seated. Perhaps it's a stability issue, but with a wide grip (hammer hand position) I felt no pain. Loved it. Still not bent over rows awesomeness but definitely progress. Will grill my chiro today about what's going on.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,884 times
Deadlifts

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Deadlifts
You just learned them or you learned a different kind of deadlifts? Which are you referring to? What about it is cool to you? (trying to make it more conversational than just a list of movements).

Old 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
On the advise of a friend, I've added 'single arm leaning side laterals' to my workouts once in a while. Holding on to a stationary object for support with the opposite arm, lean over towards the dumbell side being lifted, and lift upward like a side lateral while leaned over. You get an intense contraction in the shoulder for a good jolt to the muscle when things need a change of pace.

Not sure I explained it right. It's just leaning towards the db being lifted.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I remember very well the first time I tried Good Mornings. It was an exhilarating experience- it was only with a bar (unloaded), and it still rocked my world. I couldn't fathom that I'd work up to having a 45 plate on each side of the bar for this... but I did. This was my first "WTH?" kind of movement (because it sure looks weird and draws stares) and since then I've been very interested in learning more movements that don't get enough play in gyms. For those unfamiliar, this is a Good Morning, and it is a hamstring movement: Barbell Good-morning

For example, last week I started doing Bulgarian Split Squats for the first time- necessitated by my chiropractor's instruction to avoid loading weight on my spine. What a humbling and awesome movement! I'm working on mastering it- for now with just bodyweight. It requires balance, strength, and it's definitely in the "WTH?" category for me. The Bulgarian SPlit Squat (BSS) is a quad movement. Here is the video (I do them in the Smith machine, not from a bench): Barbell Single Leg Split Squat

I'm always looking to learn cool new movements. Let's hear from everyone, advanced and novice, about the movements that make you go "whoa, this is awesome!" Share the cool, people! If you have videos of yourself performing the movement, even better!

try lunges if you want to avoid the movement of the spine, those work the quad muscles as well.

i love lat pulldowns more than anything, it just makes me feel good after doing several sets, i feel big!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Issue: lower back pain (inflamed something or other which passes from the spine through the pelvic bone...)

Problem: Pain during free weight rowing movements and seated rowing movements. Heck, pain during any kind of leaning forward- brushing teeth blows.

Solution of sorts: (discovered today) Wide Grip rowing while seated. Perhaps it's a stability issue, but with a wide grip (hammer hand position) I felt no pain. Loved it. Still not bent over rows awesomeness but definitely progress. Will grill my chiro today about what's going on.

do you use ice? you should probably ice it a few hours each day, when i had a stress fracture in the arch of my foot, (which ruined my track season) i had a boot ofcourse, but if i didnt ice it, than it would hurt even more, and it would take much longer to heal than 4 weeks, it could of took 6 weeks

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
try lunges if you want to avoid the movement of the spine, those work the quad muscles as well.

i love lat pulldowns more than anything, it just makes me feel good after doing several sets, i feel big!
I do lunges after the BSS.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
do you use ice? you should probably ice it a few hours each day, when i had a stress fracture in the arch of my foot, (which ruined my track season) i had a boot ofcourse, but if i didnt ice it, than it would hurt even more, and it would take much longer to heal than 4 weeks, it could of took 6 weeks
I hadn't iced it. I'll do that now that you mention it. My chiro suggested it and I forgot... thanks for reminding me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness