Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:42 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times

Advertisements

I haven't tried Alli but I was a big time user of hydroxycut back in the good ole days before they banned ephedra. It was fabulous and I lost tons of weight but as the old story goes I gained it back and then some. Now its even harder to get the regained weight back off. Pills are great short term but do nothing for you in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
Default Alli advice from a pharmacist

All of you who are essentially saying, "good old proper diet and exercise is the way to go!" are completely correct.
I am a pharmacist and patients regularly ask me for advice about what they can take to lose weight. Even after explaining that Alli can cause a great deal of flatulence, anal leakage, and greasy stools as a result of any fat intake, people still try it. I commend people trying to lose weight, but I do not think this is a good way to do so. Depends or some other type of protection for your clothing is a good idea when using this product! Sadly, what many people don't realize is that the reason they experience weight loss with Alli is they are actually watching their diet and reducing their fat intake. If anyone does choose to use Alli, it is very important to ensure you are taking a multi-vitamin that contains the fat-soluble essential vitamins A, D, E, and K, because your body is not able to absorb them if you do not consume fat or you "poop it out" before your body has a chance to absorb them.
The other issue here is that there are fats your body absolutely needs to work properly, not just the vitamins contained in fats. The use of Alli must also be combined with exercise to be effective, and your body needs fat for energy!
In summary, Alli is not safe for long-term use.
I just have too many reasons to recommend against its use, and want those considering it to be completely informed!
There are no other over-the-counter supplements or products that are proven safe and effective. I hate to tell you that it has to be done the hard way, but for long-term success, proper diet and exercise is the only way to go. That's what I tell all my patients!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:50 PM

224 posts, read 957,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
LOL, ok, ok - will do the low fat diet.. have already been doing that this week - and RESISTING MY FIANCE's beer making!! LOL
I hate to be the bearor of sad tidings. Diets aren't especially effective for long-term weight loss. You need a significant change in lifestyle as regards nutrition and exercise.

It isn't for a couple months. It is forever. The majority of people who diet put the weight right back on after they stop dieting.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
I have tried it on and off now. I think it helps a little. I have not had some of the more, shall we say, "notorious" side effects with it. But as they say, your mileage may vary. Apparently, some do have the side effects. You might cautiously try it and see how it sets with your system. Again, I think it helps a little. ( It's a bit expensive too.) In the long run, I'm not sure it's worth it, overall. But....I am still using it some. However, again, I apparently am not as "sensitive" to some of its effects as some. If I had some of those things happen, I would abandon it immediately.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 164,558 times
Alli has different effects on different people. I tried it for 6 days and I was within the 15g fat range and still had the leaky, greasy, orange discharge. The worst part is that it can happen without your control! (egads) That was the end of that.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbnd View Post
Alli has different effects on different people. I tried it for 6 days and I was within the 15g fat range and still had the leaky, greasy, orange discharge. The worst part is that it can happen without your control! (egads) That was the end of that.

Eew! And I wasn't even careful about my intake of fat, but still didn't have any probs like that. I guess it does just depend on the individual.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM

181 posts, read 607,232 times
I agree with the pharmacist that your body does better when it has some healthy fats. Omega 3s are really good for you and Alli will block those.

I've had good success by limiting processed carbs, and by making myself eat a certain number of healthy items throughout the day, so that I don't really have room for bad stuff. I make sure that I have a banana, an apple, a low-cal fruit smoothie--it's just pureed frozen fruit w/water and a tiny bit of fruit juice, and a handful of raw spinach and a raw carrot. I have a salad w/home-made dressing, handful of almonds, a hard-boiled egg, and some other healthy items. I make sure that I have certain items each week, including, mushrooms, bell pepper, orange, sweet potatoes, etc. I also have fish at least 2X per week.

I have a glass of wine each night, and work out 1hr/day 6 days/wk. I have beer sometimes, and have a small amt of food that I may be craving. If I can't get slim by living like this...then I won't be slim. Also--I'd rather be fat than lose control of my bowels.

Weight Watchers online is a really good way of keeping track of food intake and exercise output if general lifestyle change doesn't seem to be working.

Experts believe that you should make one small healthy change per week. Make it realistic, but then stick to it.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I agree with the pharmacist that your body does better when it has some healthy fats. Omega 3s are really good for you and Alli will block those.

I've had good success by limiting processed carbs, and by making myself eat a certain number of healthy items throughout the day, so that I don't really have room for bad stuff. I make sure that I have a banana, an apple, a low-cal fruit smoothie--it's just pureed frozen fruit w/water and a tiny bit of fruit juice, and a handful of raw spinach and a raw carrot. I have a salad w/home-made dressing, handful of almonds, a hard-boiled egg, and some other healthy items. I make sure that I have certain items each week, including, mushrooms, bell pepper, orange, sweet potatoes, etc. I also have fish at least 2X per week.

I have a glass of wine each night, and work out 1hr/day 6 days/wk. I have beer sometimes, and have a small amt of food that I may be craving. If I can't get slim by living like this...then I won't be slim. Also--I'd rather be fat than lose control of my bowels.

Weight Watchers online is a really good way of keeping track of food intake and exercise output if general lifestyle change doesn't seem to be working.

Experts believe that you should make one small healthy change per week. Make it realistic, but then stick to it.

That's a great idea to make one small healthy change per week. For some reason I never thought of that but it does make perfect sense. I normally try to make all these drastic diet changes at one time and get overwhelmed and then give up. I have successfully added exercise to my life but I think if I could add one healthy item to my diet each week or remove one bad item from my diet each week I could probably stick to it easier. Sorry to go OT but GMonkey made a fantastic point.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 AM
DLK

33 posts, read 176,963 times
GMonkey - Wow!

You simplified it right there.

Well done!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM

702 posts, read 2,522,954 times
I think there are no magic bullets out there or we would hear about them. I stay away from any medications (OTC and prescription) unless I have no other option. Anyone remember Phen-Phen? When I was at Jenny Craig the counselors were recommending this drug as a suppliment to their weight loss program which I found just horrendous. The drug had just come out on the market and I admonished them for doing that. I also couldn't believe they found an MD willing to prescribe to their customers! Crazy.

Anyway, I think the only thing that works is consistent exersize, healthy eating, and portion control. If you have a problem with food, there is a lot of help out there for that too.

I like WW and Michael Thermond's 6 week body make over (not trying to sell it). You can find it on line. It supports healthy eating with reasonable exersize to help you loose weight and then offers a maintenance program. It got me off processed foods for good.

Good luck and give those Percherons a big hug for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness