Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting running again. How do people manage to run in the really cold months of the year? How do you stay in shape outdoors? Do you switch to another activity? Wear super warm clothing?

What about special running shoes? Do you buy special shoes for snow?

Need info.

Thanks,

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
I've never heard of special running shoes for snow. Make sure your shoes are fairly new, so you get full cushioning, because bare pavement seems to be an especially hard surface when the temperature is cold enough to freeze the ground (though running on a coating of snow can have the opposite effect, providing a little extra cushion). If the roads where you live aren't cleared well, my experience has been that you can still run on snowy roads. Icy roads are best avoided, and you need to be really careful if you do have to run on icy roads. On a snow-covered surface you can still run pretty well. Be aware, though, that your feet will slip a little, so you're doing more of a workout while covering the same distance, something to take into account when planning how far to run, especially if you're just getting back into it, when you need to take it easy and work into shape gradually.

As for running in cold weather, how cold does it usually get where you live? You'd be surprised how much heat you generate through physical exertion. Running outside in the winter weather in most of the central and northern U.S. will probably not require a whole lot of warm clothing. In fact, too much clothing would be bad, since you might become too warm and really work up a sweat, then get a chill as soon as you stop moving. My experience has been that a sweatsuit is fine for most ordinary cold days. When it gets down toward the single digits and below, then you want to wear a hat and gloves in addition to the sweats, for protection against frostbite.

On a very cold day, you'll feel cold and stiff when you start out, so it's a good idea to work into it slowly. You might start by stepping outside and doing a few calisthenics, such as jumping jacks and knee bends, just enough to begin feeling loose. Do these outside. If you do them inside, you don't adjust to the cold. Instead, you get too warm and go into a rapid cool-off as soon as you step outside. So, do some light calisthenics outside, then start off walking briskly, and ease up into a jog once you begin to feel warm and loose. When you finish your run, don't go back inside right away. Cool down a bit by walking around outside, and then go inside once you begin to feel some recovery from the exertion of running. This way, you re-adjust to indoor temperatures gradually. Gradual shifts avoid shocking the body.

Now, I don't know where you live, so this gets tricky. I'm talking about what to do in the usual winter weather in most of the Northeast or Midwest. In much colder weather, you would probably still want to follow the rule of dressing as lightly as you can do and still feel warm once you've been running for a few minutes. Obviously, you'd want to think twice about running in severely cold, Arctic weather, or in a blizzard, though a run during a moderate snowfall can be refreshing. Also, try to plan a route that does not take you away from inhabited areas, so you're not trapped in the middle of nowhere if you should sprain something and be unable to continue running, rapidly getting cold in your light clothing when no longer getting the exertion of running. One final safety precaution would be to be especially aware of cars, and be ready to jump off the road if necessary to avoid a car skidding on a slippery road. With common-sense safety precautions, and proper dress--everything covered but not dressed really heavily--running outside during the winter can work just fine, and even feel invigorating. Happy running.

Last edited by ogre; 11-30-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Thank you. One problem here in New England is that snow piled up on the side of the roads, which makes less room for cars and people. So I have to avoid those roads until the snow melts. I will go to Marshalls and get some running tops and hats.

I just started running, so I'm following this routine:
http://running.about.com/od/getstart...getstarted.htm

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
I live in the Boston area, so I know what you mean about the snow piled at the sides of roads. To me, running always seemed more pleasant on lightly traveled roads under any circumstances. The narrowing of the roads during winter makes running on quiet side streets that much more to be preferred.

The link looks good. Take special note of the suggestion to buy shoes at a running store. At a store that specializes in running equipment, the staff is more likely to really know how to fit you with the right shoes. The only note of caution I would offer on their suggested workout would be to avoid thinking of their plan as cast in stone. Everyone is built differently. If it happens to take you a bit longer to advance through the suggested stages, better to listen to your body and not to try and push for too much too soon. Trying to whip into shape too quickly at the beginning is how you get injured, which delays your progress in the long run.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The link looks good. Take special note of the suggestion to buy shoes at a running store. At a store that specializes in running equipment, the staff is more likely to really know how to fit you with the right shoes. The only note of caution I would offer on their suggested workout would be to avoid thinking of their plan as cast in stone. Everyone is built differently. If it happens to take you a bit longer to advance through the suggested stages, better to listen to your body and not to try and push for too much too soon. Trying to whip into shape too quickly at the beginning is how you get injured, which delays your progress in the long run.
I think the approach outlined on the site is nice and slow. I've run before and it's more about developing a habit and not putting too much pressure on myself. So I'll follow this plan for 8 weeks.

I have a good Asics running shoe that I've been using for years, so I'll just order another pair.

Thanks,

woofers

Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM

I've been following my program. It feels good to get outside, even when it's cold!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
I love love love running in the snow!

I like Gore-Tex trail runners with wool socks.

Tights. Any brand.

Craft base layer top.

Wind shell (I have PI, Marmot and Mountain Hardware).

Some sort of stocking cap that covers my ears.

Sunglasses when it's sunny (the snow can hurt your eyes!)

Super cheap magic-finger gloves OR, when it's really cold my Columbia mittens.

A balaclava for those days when I worry about frost-bite.

Yay winter running!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I love love love running in the snow!

I like Gore-Tex trail runners with wool socks.

Tights. Any brand.

Craft base layer top.

Wind shell (I have PI, Marmot and Mountain Hardware).

Some sort of stocking cap that covers my ears.

Sunglasses when it's sunny (the snow can hurt your eyes!)

Super cheap magic-finger gloves OR, when it's really cold my Columbia mittens.

A balaclava for those days when I worry about frost-bite.

Yay winter running!
Ouch, that's a lot to remember. Gore tex trail runners. Where do I get those?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Ouch, that's a lot to remember. Gore tex trail runners. Where do I get those?
I buy my trail running shoes at Sierra (you know I love a good deal!). for 60-80 bucks.

For your first pair it might be worth it to go to a running store or outfitter (Eastern Mountain Sports? REI?) and be fitted. You'll pay 100+ but if you only use them for wet/snowy runs they should last you a whole season, possibly two.

It ~seems~ like a lot of clothes, but not really. I have a little basket on my stairs for mittens, hats and gloves and I just grab those on my way out. I keep my running-shells (jackets) on a hook by the door.

Don't forget chapstick and sunscreen if it is really dry and sunny out. Kind of like skiing.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
I wear cw/x tights for the cold and they are great.

CW-X (http://www.cw-x.com/ss - broken link)

While there is no snow where I live, it does sometimes get cold on the beach in early mornings and these work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness