Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 8,881 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Looking for some advice. I'm pretty good to dieting but I have a really hard time around the holidays. It's impossible for me to stay away from dessert this time of year, especially since I spend it at an aunt's house. Anyone have any good tips on how to avoid this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
The only advice I can give is to just enjoy in moderation and be sure to workout extra hard (lift heavier, do an extra rep or two, run an extra mile, go faster at higher incline on the treadmill, etc.).

Heck, just today Ive had maybe 1/3 of a pecan pie, some brownies, cup of egg nog and some cookies. Yep, I feel terrible that I ate that much bad stuff, but I KNOW that I will be working it off tonight, tomorrow and on Christmas day. Plus, I eat pretty well most of the year anyway so its not such a big deal.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersporter View Post
Hey all! Looking for some advice. I'm pretty good to dieting but I have a really hard time around the holidays. It's impossible for me to stay away from dessert this time of year, especially since I spend it at an aunt's house. Anyone have any good tips on how to avoid this?
Don't try to avoid the cravings for holiday treats. Embrace them, in moderation. One of the great things about being physically fit is that you can indulge if a treat now and then. So go have some pecan pie or egg nog or other treats. Enjoy and know that you can burn off the extra calories later.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Eat 200 calories worth and keep it normal. Know the food...and that way you know what you are getting into.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Yea that's what I've heard..I think that's the best advice..Moderation..I just hope I don't over do it..

Old 12-29-2008, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 50,727 times
Default tip!

i was actually watching one of those tv fitness reality shows last year around Christmas time and they gave a tip about curbing your cravings this time of year..basically you pick your favorite craving..and you indulge in that ONLY..for example if ur on a low carb diet then u pick one carb u can indulge in on that one day..you'll enjoy ur favorite but at the same time ur not having pasta, potatoes and desssert..

Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,754 times
As far as fitness TV shows..gave you seen the commercials for Diettribe?? I think it's on lifetime...The first episode starts tonight and it looks interesting! And the whole portion control NEVER works for me..it's either a lot of junk or nothing at all..but that way I cut it out of my life completely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3OqEhpQls

Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM

I watched it the other nite! It was cute..I'm overweight so I got attached to the women..I was so happy when they made progress Does anyone know what the schedule is like for the show?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
try sharing a dessert with someone. we went out to dinner with friends and everyone wanted just a little something. we each had a two-bite treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness