Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times

Advertisements

I've been exercising regularly for about 6 months. I've mostly been doing the Firm. Two weeks ago I hurt my shoulder and my lower back went out. So, I stopped working out. Now my shoulder and lower back feel okay. Is it safe to start up again? Should I do the WOs for a week or two without weights? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
I'd start out slow and light. Be sure you are warming up and stretching properly. Also be sure your form is perfect.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I've been exercising regularly for about 6 months. I've mostly been doing the Firm. Two weeks ago I hurt my shoulder and my lower back went out. So, I stopped working out. Now my shoulder and lower back feel okay. Is it safe to start up again? Should I do the WOs for a week or two without weights? Any help would be appreciated.

Glad you're feeling better. You don't want to cause any further injury that may put you out for even longer so definitely talk to your doctor first. If it was an ankle or something like that it might be different but, when it comes to your back, you don't want to assume.....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
First, good for you for getting in the gym!

As for your issues... Some good advice in the above two posts. I just came off a pretty bad back injury - day after I did it, I couldn't even stand up straight. Went to the doc, got muscle relaxers, all that good stuff. Now I'm finally back in the gym.

When you do go back, I'd say SLOW and CAREFUL is more important than light. Its so easy to mess up your back when coming off an injury. And usually, its not an exercise that does it. Its carelessly picking up a heavy dumbbell, or tweaking something when you turn funny to put a weight back on the stand. So when you go back to lifting, use perfect form, take it slow, and be CAREFUL, and you should be good.

Anther suggestion would be to try some cardio first - see how your back feels after that - and if all is well, move on back into lifting.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
I would recommend two things:

1. For ANY back issues, see a doctor before starting up again. You may feel that you're back to 100% but the slightest twist or tweak and you're back to being injured again. Having back issues are no fun at all.

2. Get rid of that piece of junk Firm and join a gym. There are dedicated machines in gyms that would isolate certain parts of your body that would not aggravate your back injury. You'll be able to get a much better workout, and still be relatively safe from re-injuring yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness