Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:01 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,229 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Basically I'm trying to become more athletic and become lean (i.e. lower body fat %), while still being strong. If anyone has had this goal as well, what workout techniques, rep ranges, exercises, etc. has worked best for you? If possible, could you post your weight training routine? I've heard supersetting/circuit training is great, but my gym gets really crowded, so doing that can be very tricky sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its 80% diet.
kaiser 24 hr fast (3 cans of slimfast and a modest meal) and kaiser portion method are both great.
both require regular exercise.
you must run 10 miles to burn 1000 calories.
you can consume 3000 calories in 10 minutes in a fast food joint.
do the math.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
and cut out those light 100 calorie beers after the workout...or add 6 miles to the run.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its 80% diet.
kaiser 24 hr fast (3 cans of slimfast and a modest meal) and kaiser portion method are both great.
both require regular exercise.
you must run 10 miles to burn 1000 calories.
you can consume 3000 calories in 10 minutes in a fast food joint.
do the math.
I know that it's mostly diet and I eat relatively clean for the most part (i.e. get as much protein as possible, take skim milk, limit fast food/snacking, lots of water, no soda, etc.), but I still want a decent weight training program as well if possible. Like I said, I've heard supersetting is good, so if you guys have advice on that, that would be great.

Oh, and to the guy above me, even though I'm in college, I don't drink (and won't drink till I'm at least 25 since that's when one usually fully matures physically) or smoke at all. I know, I'm a nerd

Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I know that it's mostly diet and I eat relatively clean for the most part (i.e. get as much protein as possible, take skim milk, limit fast food/snacking, lots of water, no soda, etc.), but I still want a decent weight training program as well if possible. Like I said, I've heard supersetting is good, so if you guys have advice on that, that would be great.

Oh, and to the guy above me, even though I'm in college, I don't drink (and won't drink till I'm at least 25 since that's when one usually fully matures physically) or smoke at all. I know, I'm a nerd
for fencing weights would be bad. need speed. i do aerobics 6 times a week inc light barbells which helps.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
A low carb/high protein diet and weight lifting. It's the only diet I've ever been on that allowed me to quickly drop weight and maintain my muscle mass.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Hi,

Basically I'm trying to become more athletic and become lean (i.e. lower body fat %), while still being strong. If anyone has had this goal as well, what workout techniques, rep ranges, exercises, etc. has worked best for you? If possible, could you post your weight training routine? I've heard supersetting/circuit training is great, but my gym gets really crowded, so doing that can be very tricky sometimes.
Diet is key. Low fat, high protein.

Brown rice
Oatmeal (no sugar or milk)
Chicken breasts
Fish
broccoli
Salads
Multigrain bread
Egg whites (scrambled)

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am currently primarily doing a combo of Crossfit and HIT and both have worked wonders for me.

First true program/routine that worked for me was The New High Intensity Training (HIT) which is a book you can find at your local bookstore written by Dr. Ellington Darden who trained Olympia bodybuilders. I followed the cutting diet and workout plan outlined in his book EXACTLY and had TREMENDOUS results:

Cutting diet - 2-3 weeks of 1500 calorie per day diet. Primarily based on brown rice, grilled chicken, light tuna, broccoli, spinach, whole wheat pasta and other lean meat.

Cutting Weight Routine - 4 days per week HEAVY WEIGHT training using HIT principals. Controlled negative and controlled positives on each rep using weight that causes failure between 8-10 reps. If you can do more than 10 reps, you are using weight that is too light. One set per exercise while cutting - Bench press, shoulder press, squat, shoulder shrugs, leg curls, leg extensions, upward rows, wide or close grip pulldows and negative pullups.

You can also just do the Crossfit workout of the day. REALLY clean up your nutrition (not diet) and by that I mean eat healthy where you get all of your required nutrition from your food and you WILL GET STRONGER, FASTER AND FITTER with Crossfit.

You'll get a whole lot of different answers here as different people have had successes with different routines. But I HIGHLY recommend you pickup the HIT book and follow the "Get Fit Quick" cutting routine where he gives you a specific workout routine as well as a specific nutrition plan (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) that will definitely get you going. Then you should try the crossfit after that. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
I am 5"8", 155lbs, and just over 6% body fat. For me, eating healthy foods has been the number one thing. That is, I typically stay away from sugars, or things that quickly turn to sugar in your body. I eat balanced, very healthy meals.

I also exercise 5 to 6 times per week. And, I do the full circuit of cardio (jogging, stairmaster, cycling, rowing), ab work, and light upper-body weight lifting. This combination has worked well for me in the past 2 yrs. If I have exercised for years, and typically have not had this low of a body-fat percentage. I think the key this time around is what I eat (i.e., and don't eat).

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I am currently primarily doing a combo of Crossfit and HIT and both have worked wonders for me.

First true program/routine that worked for me was The New High Intensity Training (HIT) which is a book you can find at your local bookstore written by Dr. Ellington Darden who trained Olympia bodybuilders. I followed the cutting diet and workout plan outlined in his book EXACTLY and had TREMENDOUS results:

Cutting diet - 2-3 weeks of 1500 calorie per day diet. Primarily based on brown rice, grilled chicken, light tuna, broccoli, spinach, whole wheat pasta and other lean meat.

Cutting Weight Routine - 4 days per week HEAVY WEIGHT training using HIT principals. Controlled negative and controlled positives on each rep using weight that causes failure between 8-10 reps. If you can do more than 10 reps, you are using weight that is too light. One set per exercise while cutting - Bench press, shoulder press, squat, shoulder shrugs, leg curls, leg extensions, upward rows, wide or close grip pulldows and negative pullups.

You can also just do the Crossfit workout of the day. REALLY clean up your nutrition (not diet) and by that I mean eat healthy where you get all of your required nutrition from your food and you WILL GET STRONGER, FASTER AND FITTER with Crossfit.

You'll get a whole lot of different answers here as different people have had successes with different routines. But I HIGHLY recommend you pickup the HIT book and follow the "Get Fit Quick" cutting routine where he gives you a specific workout routine as well as a specific nutrition plan (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) that will definitely get you going. Then you should try the crossfit after that. Good luck.
Thank you for your response. I keep hearing about "crossfit", so could you enlighten me about what it is/link me? Also, do you do all of those exercises you mention each day that you workout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness