Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times

Advertisements

I notice it greatly in myself. For example when I was in the mid range of a healthy BMI and had a body fat of 25% I could put on the pounds easily. But now if I keep it under 22% it does not come on easily at all. Calories being the same type of ratio. But the muscle gains seem to be the same but the lower body fat gives longer muscles instead of bulge ones ( I assume its just less fat between the muscle?)

I also noticed this in friends that diet. It seems to be a BF hump for everyone to get below to prevent easy gain backs.

Any articles to share on this? Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
What is a "gain back"? You're entire post is a bit confusing to me. Are you saying that its tough for you to put on weight if you're below a certain body fat percentage?

As far as getting the "bulge" muscles youre talking about, its a lot tougher for you women to obtain because you'll need 1) the genes for the bulging muscles; 2) A super clean diet high enough in calories and protein to feed those muscles; and 3) You'll need to life extremely heavy to obtain that look.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 PM

"gain back" = the tendency to put on weight after coming off calorie restriction as your body adjusts it's metabolism back to "normal". More than water weight when you get restocked with glycogen.
I watch what I eat but I do not always count to the exact calorie everyday. I know there have been days where I eat more than I should at the leaner weights but it does not seem to put on the pounds(fat) or bloat. It just seems that I can increase my calories faster and eat more without "gain back".

I know I naturally tend to eat protien heavy but I do get those round muscle shapes very easily in general. (Or it at least looks that way because my frame is small.)

Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
If you have less body fat, then you should have more muscle at the same weight which means you'll be burning more calories naturally. You say that you weigh the same, have less fat, but the same amount of muscle, then what did you gain in weight? Do your lungs weigh more?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:38 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,992 times
The longer muscles typically occur in swimmers and martial artists. The bulky muscles are more for bodybuilders, football players etc. It all really depends on the type of work you do and genetics.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM

I wonder if working/going to school made the buldgey thing go on in past (books/restaurant work)

LOL..I doubt my lungs put on weight. My weight is lower/body fat lower, but the calorie cuts I do are the same ratio wise per pound. I increase it the same as I am eating my way up to maintain. It just seems the metabolism goes back to the maintain calorie level a lot faster with just a small amt of body fat change. Like at my higher fat it would take me 2 months to really be stable. But at the lower fat with just a bit of strength training only using my own body weight it seems to be stable withing a couple weeks.

Everyone debates about the muscle needing more support calorie wise than fat tissue...Which yeh..But to look at it personally this way was kind of shocking me to me. I did not journal it and now I wish I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness