Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times

Advertisements

Everytime I go on a diet, I always give into candy soda ect. and then I have to try to motivate myself again and it never works. Im at 300 Lbs right now for about almost a year. My normal weight has always been 230 Lbs. I just eat and eat.

It seems when im not hungry I make myself hungry and I give into food. I work 11 hours a day. but I know I could lose weight and destroy these food urges If I knew how to do it. Anyone else have had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Three things...
a) You ought to go for some counseling/therapy to get at the root cause of your food addiction. There's a reason you eat so much; you've associated food with a psychological need. When you identify the association with a therapist, you'll also be given tools to break or cope with it.

b) You need to put forth effort to shrink your stomach by not filling it quite so full every meal. It only takes a few days to allow your stomach to shrink a bit, but those days will be tough as you will physically feel the urge to fill it to capacity (as well as psychologically if you haven't addressed "a" above).

c) Understand you are not alone and that food urges are extremely hard to overcome because of their psychological and physiological components. You've taken the first step in solving your problem by realizing you have one. The last thing you need to do is realize that your entire life you've been conned into thinking that certain things are "food" when in fact they are poison for you. If you need to conduct your own research online to be convinced of this, that is fine; just do whatever it takes to realize that Soda and Candy are poisonous to your body. Drink water (with lemon if you have to) at all your meals instead of any other beverage. Recognize that Candy by in large is made up of high fructose corn syrup these days and that only serves to tell your body to pack on the pounds.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 AM

I find it difficult to pick a apple or celery up and just say it's better than a snickers or a hamburger. I thank you for taking the time to point out these things. when you say poisen you also mean like the root of causing other Illness too? I would imagine. it will be very hard.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I think you need to see a counselor or therapist too because it sounds like you're engaging in compulsive behavior and "going on a diet" isn't going to fix it.

I've always been thin. I do exercise, but I doubt I would gain much weight even without it. The only reason I'm saying this is that I think that my relationship with food is fundamentally different from someone who eats the way you describe. Food to me is nutrition and fuel. Yes, I enjoy it, but I hate feeling too full and I sometimes hate having to take the time to eat. My guess is that food, to you, means something different--perhaps love, comfort, relaxation, anxiety relief. Once you figure out WHY you eat the way you do, you'll be in a better position to change your eating habits.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 AM

20 posts, read 38,925 times
Default Just a little encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Three things...
a) You ought to go for some counseling/therapy to get at the root cause of your food addiction. There's a reason you eat so much; you've associated food with a psychological need. When you identify the association with a therapist, you'll also be given tools to break or cope with it.

b) You need to put forth effort to shrink your stomach by not filling it quite so full every meal. It only takes a few days to allow your stomach to shrink a bit, but those days will be tough as you will physically feel the urge to fill it to capacity (as well as psychologically if you haven't addressed "a" above).

c) Understand you are not alone and that food urges are extremely hard to overcome because of their psychological and physiological components. You've taken the first step in solving your problem by realizing you have one. The last thing you need to do is realize that your entire life you've been conned into thinking that certain things are "food" when in fact they are poison for you. If you need to conduct your own research online to be convinced of this, that is fine; just do whatever it takes to realize that Soda and Candy are poisonous to your body. Drink water (with lemon if you have to) at all your meals instead of any other beverage. Recognize that Candy by in large is made up of high fructose corn syrup these days and that only serves to tell your body to pack on the pounds.
+1 I totally agree with mbuszu on this.

Information and learning more about the food your consuming will be your best friend in this battle.

I also encourage you to be patient with yourself, and try not to change all your eating habits suddenly. Set some goals, or make a plan, say...quit drinking soda, and that's all for the month. Then next month consider something else. I understand working 11 hour shifts doesn't leave you with time to do much else. But, I truly believe that if give up soda alone you will see will a dramatic reduction in your weight.

I would also suggest drinking a full glass or bottle of water first thing every morning...and breakfast is still the most important meal of the day, so make time for it.

I believe you can, because you want to, and your looking for answers

Old 11-13-2009, 04:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Well before you go to therapy....

These types of foods chemically make you addicted and can draw you towards them. Plus having 300 pounds on your frame is going to make you hungry as that amt of weight (be it healthy or not) needs a lot of calorie support. You find high calories in those fatty and sugary foods. If this was nature and those junk foods did not exist you would be reaching for meats, fruits, nuts when craving sweets and salts that are calorie dense.

My advice is to just track what you naturally do and then look to see where you can make adjustments without making it like a cold hard switch. I think to try to change overnight is just a set up for failure and maybe even make it worse.

Being heavy and undernourished (meaning you eat more junky stuff than nutritional stuff) will make you eat and eat and eat. Also cutting your calories too low for your weight.

Start here:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

That can help you pick what to eat, free exercise guides and getting healthy tips.
You may need to use a different calorie info database for certain things. Just google it.
But if you don't stick to your diet..track ALL that too. Even if you give up, still track. Then you can see what those types of habits mean for your waistline.

Just some tips:
- lean protien with every meal (makes you feel full)
- get your minimal fiber intake (makes you feel full)
- WEAN off that sugar and junk - Cold turkey is making you rebound. Also a FYI you can have that stuff sometimes still as a treat. Just keep it in your calorie level bounds. (you will learn your personal calorie level at spark)
- Try juice dilutes with club soda instead of soda or diet soda. (both can trigger overeating cravings)
-http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art42350.asp
"Acupressure can be a dieting tool, locate the cleft between the bottom of the nose and top of the upper lip. Pinch it when you’re hunger, and within moments your hunger will be gone."

Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Where do you start? I have some ideas for you to think about. The logical first step is to use a site like sparkpeople for a few weeks and see what you are actually eating. Combine it with a food diary noting what times you eat and how you feel.

Next, you need to also think about changes you need to make in your lifestyle. You have to rearrange things so you have time for healthy foods, cooking, regular meals, 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night, and some kind of daily activity.

The sleep and the activity time is not negotiable. But if you have more money than time, start checking into programs like Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating. Doing this for a few weeks will teach you what a normal portion looks like and take care of all your cooking chores. And there's no reason to have any other food in the house.

One thing you can DO right now is buy a good multivitamin and get in the habit of taking it every day. The next thing you need to do is go to the doc and find out if there is an underlying medical reason you are heavy. Yes, it will be embarrassing and the doc will tell you to lose weight. Just do it.

The next thing you can DO right now is to start eating regular meals. Stop skipping meals and grabbing candy bars or chips. Eat 3 meals per day and at least 2 snacks. There are always choices to make. Try to eat more protein and green vegetables and less sweet foods. Try packing a lunch and snacks for work. I broke my vending machine habit by not carrying any money.

Start increasing your physical activity. Slowly. Heavy people tend to sabotage themselves by doing too much too fast. Then they get hurt and voila...there's the excuse they needed to give up. They 'can't' do it. Walk a little. Start parking further away. Eat your lunch then walk for the rest of your lunch hour. Start thinking about activities you enjoy that you might want to do again.

Realize that food is not your friend. Work on relationships with real people. Do things that don't revolve around food. Go out and do things with friends and become more social.

Going from morbidly obese to normal is a lot more than just a diet. This is just a starting point and believe me, this is a lot of work. But you only get one body and one life so what is more worthy of your time and effort? You didn't get heavy overnight and you won't lose the weight overnight either.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:53 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Everytime I go on a diet, I always give into candy soda ect. and then I have to try to motivate myself again and it never works. Im at 300 Lbs right now for about almost a year. My normal weight has always been 230 Lbs. I just eat and eat.

It seems when im not hungry I make myself hungry and I give into food. I work 11 hours a day. but I know I could lose weight and destroy these food urges If I knew how to do it. Anyone else have had this problem?
I hear ya! I have the same issues. I wonder why one person can have a banana and feel full for hours while I need a high fat food like a cheeseburger to feel the same way. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
A banana is only 100 calories about. If someone says they are full on that for hours they are lying, really skinny or have a very slow metabolism. Some people with wt problems don't get the chemical signal of "full" too, so you have to logically know what to eat rather than going by feelings. Another oddie I found interesting is that the fat your have on your body creates hunger. Even after you deflate it, the signal can still come from the cells. So again..logically you have to sort it.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM

yeah I need to eat more fruit and veggies. they just dont taste good to me at all. it's really hard to pick an apple over a brownie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness