Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 18,673 times

Advertisements

I am 54 years old and just began walking - but with purpose. I started about 2 weeks ago along with joining a gym. Two weeks ago my walking time for 2.2 miles was 45 minutes. This morning it was 29! I am so proud of myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 19,878 times
I walk between a 12-13 minute mile. Naturally fast walker, and do a brisk walk at least five times a week. Everyone's pace is different due to stride length. I have friends with shorter legs who do my stride, friends with longer who do not do my stride.
The important thing, as posted here is proper shoes, proper socks and being comfortable with pounding the pavement. If something starts to bother you, slow down. Stretching is key as well.
The bottom line is keep walking. Pace yourself, but push yourself a bit too. You should be able to carry on a conversation without being breathless, but you should not be able to carry on a conversation easily. IF this is for exercise. If you are strolling to catch up with a friend, then by all means, take your time.
Walking is one of the best forms of exercise there is!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,287,113 times
I do 3 miles a day on the treadmill and usually walk it in around 45 minutes or just a litte less. I am 5' 1"........ does height play a factor in your time? I've been reading that I should walk a mile in 12 minutes. I feel that all in all I'm pretty fit for my age......there is no way that I could up my pace fast enough to walk a 12 minute mile.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM

251 posts, read 573,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I do 3 miles a day on the treadmill and usually walk it in around 45 minutes or just a litte less. I am 5' 1"........ does height play a factor in your time? I've been reading that I should walk a mile in 12 minutes. I feel that all in all I'm pretty fit for my age......there is no way that I could up my pace fast enough to walk a 12 minute mile.
I'm 5'3" and if i really push myself I could do it in 15 minutes. Height definitely plays a roll

Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,377,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
NO ONE should walk faster than is normally comfortable and they should ALWAYS wear the very best shoes they can afford that are NOT worn out to avoid foot,ankle, knee & hip injury.

People just don't get how important your shoes are when you walk on a paved surface to protect the whole body!
More about stretching and strength than buying really expensive shoes for walking.

Well, maybe for Americans. Europeans walk much more than Americans and not too many 'foot, ankle and hip injuries' over there. If people are getting injuries from walking, I suggest they figure out what's causing that because it surely isn't cheap shoes.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,969,242 times
For me, just walking is 23-25 minutes per mile (normal shoes)
With purpose: 18-20 minutes per mile (normal shoes)
with purpose, uphill: 20-22 minutes per mile (it just so happens I have a fairly frequent walk that is a mile and uphill for me to get home, so I generally time myself)
Walking fast: 14-15 minutes per mile last I checked. I guess I'll have to try it one of these days

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,969,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
More about stretching and strength than buying really expensive shoes for walking.

Well, maybe for Americans. Europeans walk much more than Americans and not too many 'foot, ankle and hip injuries' over there. If people are getting injuries from walking, I suggest they figure out what's causing that because it surely isn't cheap shoes.
Shoes make a big difference. If I am wearing shoes without enough support or a thick enough sole, and walking a mile (or more) my feet feel horrible the next day. If my shoes have sufficient padding, than the same walk is no problem.

I think people in Europe generally get nicer shoes than Americans do. Totally stereotyping here, but generally people get things that last a couple of years. Typical mainstream american shoes might last 3 months with heavy use.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,912,202 times
Strange. Ten years ago I used to walk around 4 miles per hour. Nowadays it's barely 3. And I am in much better shape now. I wonder if it's because I no longer listen to music during the walks, like I used to.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,404,143 times
I think fast walking is much tougher than slow jogging. I can run a couple miles in 20 minutes without a thought. And it's fun. Walking two miles in 30 minutes or under is an ordeal. The good lord thoughtfully provided us with two gaits. When you want to traverse more than a block on foot, why not use the gait that is most efficient?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
When I walked with my friend, who used to be a Marine, she and I walked 2 miles in 40 mins, but she just about killed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness