Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One
Yes, I Train Heavy 13 43.33%
No, I don't Weight Train, Just Cardio 2 6.67%
No, I don't Train Heavy, Just Do Light Weights To "Tone" 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Oh, and btw, you are all stronger than I am. You better keep working though or I might catch up! As of tomorrow I will have been crossfitting for 1 month. Yea!

Sophialee, I am also 132 pounds though my weight only fluctuates 1 pound either way. I am 5'9. Just curious... How tall are you? I recently learned that taller people do more work when they're lifting because they have to move the weight more. I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense.
Yes it is harder for tall people to do certain exercises. I'm short but sometimes I deadlift from a step and it does make it more challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm wondering ... how much do you lift in your various exercises, ladies? I still can't bench 100 (can only do 95 a few times), which makes me feel kind of weak.
If you are talking just one or two times, I bet I can do 120, maybe slightly more, but that is just a guess. (A few months ago I could do 100 and failed at 110.)

For a typical work out these days, I bench 55 pounds, 3 sets of 15.

Other typical weights in various exercises - consider 3 sets of 15 reps as the default.

Squats, 65 pounds
Lunges, 55
Lat pull, 70 (I'm about to up this, not sweating at this weight anymore)
Leg presses on a machine, 140 pounds
Good Morning I'm pretty light, I use a 30 pound body bar
Bent over rows 45 pounds
Dead lift 45
Shoulder press 15

"Kinda" heavy, but nothing crazy, nothing that impressive or jaw-dropping.
Sometimes I increase the weights and do 2 sets of 12. It depends on my mood, time available, etc

Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
If you are talking just one or two times, I bet I can do 120, maybe slightly more, but that is just a guess. (A few months ago I could do 100 and failed at 110.)

For a typical work out these days, I bench 55 pounds, 3 sets of 15.

Other typical weights in various exercises - consider 3 sets of 15 reps as the default.

Squats, 65 pounds
Lunges, 55
Lat pull, 70 (I'm about to up this, not sweating at this weight anymore)
Leg presses on a machine, 140 pounds
Good Morning I'm pretty light, I use a 30 pound body bar
Bent over rows 45 pounds
Dead lift 45
Shoulder press 15

"Kinda" heavy, but nothing crazy, nothing that impressive or jaw-dropping.
Sometimes I increase the weights and do 2 sets of 12. It depends on my mood, time available, etc
I'm glad to hear that about the shoulder press. I did these last night with 10-lb dumbbells (seated, because we work out in the basement, which has a lower ceiling), and geez louise.

Bent-over rows, it depends on whether I use the bar or a dumbell. I can lift the 45-lb bar 12 to 15 times for 3 sets, but if it's a dumbbell and I am doing the one-knee-on-the-bench thing, a 20-lb dumbbell is hard for me. Maybe because all the weight is on one side instead of evenly balanced?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that about the shoulder press. I did these last night with 10-lb dumbbells (seated, because we work out in the basement, which has a lower ceiling), and geez louise.

Bent-over rows, it depends on whether I use the bar or a dumbell. I can lift the 45-lb bar 12 to 15 times for 3 sets, but if it's a dumbbell and I am doing the one-knee-on-the-bench thing, a 20-lb dumbbell is hard for me. Maybe because all the weight is on one side instead of evenly balanced?
Yes, when I got to shoulder press I thought "Is that right? Seems light!" but 15 is what I do and yes I am wiped. Perhaps those muscles are that much smaller for woman

Not sure why that is, but yes I too find it harder too. I assume its because isolating the muscle on one side... seems like a good guess anyway.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Oh, and btw, you are all stronger than I am. You better keep working though or I might catch up! As of tomorrow I will have been crossfitting for 1 month. Yea!

Sophialee, I am also 132 pounds though my weight only fluctuates 1 pound either way. I am 5'9. Just curious... How tall are you? I recently learned that taller people do more work when they're lifting because they have to move the weight more. I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense.
I'm about 5'10.5

Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Okay, here's another one for the ladies. When you work out, do you ... um, look like you've been outside on a cold day? I don't know what the heck is going on there, but every time I do pullups, I look like I'm about to put someone's eye out. My husband, of course, thinks it's great but I might want to join a gym someday. What do I do? Wear a padded exercise bra?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Okay, here's another one for the ladies. When you work out, do you ... um, look like you've been outside on a cold day? I don't know what the heck is going on there, but every time I do pullups, I look like I'm about to put someone's eye out. My husband, of course, thinks it's great but I might want to join a gym someday. What do I do? Wear a padded exercise bra?
Always, when I am lifting. (Never during cardio.) I have no idea why, but yes my nipples always get hard. I find it is less noticeable if I am wearing a proper fitness shirt, you know they type that wicks away moisture etc. If I am wearing a run of the mill cotton wife beater, you can't miss it. I just don't think about it at all when I'm at the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness