Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 147,873 times

Advertisements

Hi!

This forum provides such a wealth of fitness information, I am hoping someone could tell me if this is ideally what you would do if you are in my shoes...Long narrative, so here goes -

I am female, and what most call a 'hard gainer.' I have been underweight pretty much all my life. Got tired of the "Eat a sandwich' looks that people tend to send my way sometimes, so started a weight training-bulking up routine a while back. During this first try, I had a trainer who gave me some awesome pointers on form while lifting etc, and note that I depended on meals only, no supplements. I would typically eat about five or six times a day, small portions. However, we all know this is not enough for serious bulking - I did gain about 7 pounds, but lost it over a couple of months while moving to a new city and putting a hold on my exercise regimen.

Anyway, I am back to weight training, and introduced protein shakes to my diet this time. The problem is, I can't have lactose, so I use rice protein. I know, I know, it is not as effective as whey or creatine, but that's all that's available to me now.

So, I usually have a protein shake (about 30g protein) after a morning work out, and a second shake in the evening (another 30g). These constitute my '2 snacks' per day. For 3 meals per day , I have small portions because I am just not used to consuming massive amounts in one sitting. So, for breakfast, I may have two slices of bread and one or two eggs. Or if on the run, two mini muffins. This is an example of one meal (A friend told me to eat a lot of chicken salads and I do this - But it makes me nervous to see my waist shrinking even though it's my abs showing more definition - Doesn't that mean weight loss all over as well? Don't want that, so my protein shakes may involve soy ice-cream, and a banana in a blender sometimes, no 'clean eating' 100% of the time ).

My question: Would this type of habit enable muscle bulking? It is all about the protein, isn't it? If the three meals include about 10 to 20 grams of protein each, that is sufficient in addition to the 60 grams per day from the protein shakes, isn't it?

My stats: (Don't balk in horror) - I am 5 ft 1 and weigh about 90 pounds. My ideal weight is 100 to 105.

Any advice? Help? Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
Just eat more. Good stuff, of course, but more of it.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
I wouldnt worry too much about gaining weight. Especially since you have a hard time doing so (I did also for many years).

Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Just eat more. Good stuff, of course, but more of it.
Actually, I am eating more - But I'm also very active, which means I probably burn it all off. I guess my problem is not knowing 'how much more' eating is sufficient for my lifestyle/activity level...Probably 3000 calories/day, and that sounds like a lot to me for a twenty-four hour period.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
I wouldnt worry too much about gaining weight. Especially since you have a hard time doing so (I did also for many years).
I am over 25

I don't like the 'Hollywood look.' A girl's gotta have curves

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSAngel View Post
I am over 25

I don't like the 'Hollywood look.' A girl's gotta have curves
The reason I ask is it wasnt until my first pregnancy at 23 that I gained some weight and got some curves. After that it kept coming and didnt go away. Now I have to be careful what I put in my mouth and stay active.
I agree, a girls gotta have curves.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSAngel View Post
Actually, I am eating more - But I'm also very active, which means I probably burn it all off. I guess my problem is not knowing 'how much more' eating is sufficient for my lifestyle/activity level...Probably 3000 calories/day, and that sounds like a lot to me for a twenty-four hour period.
Have you thought about going to see a nutritionist? One may be able to help you plan a healthy diet that will help you achieve your goals. I would say that calorie dense food would probably be your best bet. Think peanut butter and stuff like that.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,313 times
If you are active, eat more. Michael Phelps, the 23 year old swimmer consumes 12,000 calories each day.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
If you are active, eat more. Michael Phelps, the 23 year old swimmer consumes 12,000 calories each day.
12...12,000 calories??

I just googled Micheal Phelps' diet:

For breakfast:
"— three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayo
— one five-egg omelets
— a bowl of grits
— three slices of French toast with powdered sugar
— three chocolate chip pancakes
— two cups of coffee

For lunch, Phelps drinks 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks, one pound of pasta with tomato sauce and two large ham and cheese sandwiches (with mayo) on white bread.
For dinner, Phelps’ meal consists of six to eight slices of pizza, another pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and 1,000 calories of energy drinks."
Michael Phelps' 12,000 Calorie-a-Day Diet Not for Everyone - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News - FOXNews.com

I wish I wonder how much time he spends in a day, eating?

The energy drinks are a great idea though...

Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
The reason I ask is it wasnt until my first pregnancy at 23 that I gained some weight and got some curves. After that it kept coming and didnt go away. Now I have to be careful what I put in my mouth and stay active.
I agree, a girls gotta have curves.
Yeah, I hear that all the time: "Wait till you have kids, then you'd wish you had your tiny weight back."
Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness