Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,887 times

Advertisements

CL might be Craig's List.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,906,723 times
I do not recommend driving up here at all in your truck. I did in a two wheel drive car in the winter and let me tell you it was days and days of white knuckle, 35 mph driving. And I had experience in winter driving. Really, it is not worth it.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM

34 posts, read 72,844 times
I'd say it all depends on how the weather's been. I just did the drive the first week of November, and the roads were fine for about half of the drive. There are plenty of open gas stations, etc along the way, but I also highly recommend the Milepost, and also recommend planning fuel stops - figure out a good average MPG of your vehicle, and using that and the Milepost, plan accordingly.

I also recommend being very cautious if you don't have winter driving experience. Even with a lot of winter driving, and 4WD there was plenty of white knuckle 35MPH driving. With a 2WD, studded tires would be a great help, but i'd still carry chains.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Trade the truck in and get a 4x4 and put some Toyo or Nokian all season tires on and you'll be fine. The farthest between gas stops is a little over a hundred miles. From Fort St. John you have Wonowon, Pink Mountain, Buckinghorse Lodge, and then Fort Nelson. Do not drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, stay a night at Fort Nelson no matter what time of day it is. In between the two it's all mountains and wildlife.

From Watson Lake to Whitehorse you have more gas options, Continental Divide Lodge, Teslin, and Jake's Corner. From Whitehorse north you have Haines Junction, Talbot Arms Lodge, and Beaver Creek. At the border you have Border City and Tok.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM

61 posts, read 99,964 times
buy a 4wd before you leave home.. they cost less down here,, but the real differance will be gettin rid of the one you have after you get up there

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
Agree with others about a 4WD truck. 2WD trucks can be quite difficult to drive on the icy roads of the interior. Studded tires help, but it's easy to get stuck in a few inches of enow even on the driveway. One of my sons drives one during the winter, but this year he has had it stuck several times. His truck has studded tires.

Also, keep in mind that it does not have to be a truck. You can buy a small SUV (Toyota Rav 4 V6, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester), since these don't use too much fuel. These vehicles do well on ice and snow, even with all season tires, and very well with a set of snow tires such as Blizzak.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-02-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 AM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl0808 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice it is really helpful. I wish my truck was a 4x4 or at least could sell it (still owe on it :-( ) We were thinking about taking the ferry if it was "approved" by the Army.

At the risk of sounding dumb *AlaskaNana* what is the CL? :-/

Sorry, CraigsList. I just assume everyone knows of it. Where are you from in Fl?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Only had 4wd one time I went. Others it was front wheel 2wd and I really didn't have any problems BUT I was NOT in Fairbanks. I graciously shall pass to others from there on what its like there. I had LOTS of offers to buy my 4wd Isuzu Trooper, and it wasn't even up for sale!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
Only had 4wd one time I went. Others it was front wheel 2wd and I really didn't have any problems BUT I was NOT in Fairbanks. I graciously shall pass to others from there on what its like there. I had LOTS of offers to buy my 4wd Isuzu Trooper, and it wasn't even up for sale!
But a Front Wheel Drive car is a LOT different then a 2wheel REAR wheel drive truck. I too have driven Front Wheel Drives in Alaska and while not ideal, they work. A 2Wheel Truck is Rear Wheel Drive, making the power in the light weight back end of the truck. Who ever thought THAT was a good idea anyway? On icy roads, your just asking to go in the ditch.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
In general, I would have to say that it is less slippery in the Interior but ice is ice. The snow around Fairbanks is crunchy due to the lack of humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks