Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
In general, I would have to say that it is less slippery in the Interior but ice is ice. The snow around Fairbanks is crunchy due to the lack of humidity.
All depends on the season. Some winters aren't bad, but sometimes at the beginning and also at the end of winter we get frozen rain (sleet). Some other times we get it in the middle of the winter when the Chinook winds bring warmth to the interior. The dry but very cold roads get covered with a thick layer of ice, and sometimes it takes longer than a week plus very cold temperatures to dry the roads again.

Some of the worst sections of road are on the Richardson, from Summit Lake and beyond all the way to Fairbanks. Over by Healy, on the Parks, the road turns to a sheet of ice. But I agree with you about the snow being dry and fluffy most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM

61 posts, read 99,736 times
the ferry is approved but it has been suggested you get a birthing room on the trip which you will be out of pocket for. You will get per deim that will cover the room though. You can always get an alaksa attack vehicle when you get there to do most of your local traveling. Make sure you have a nice little emergency kit for the trip from the ferry to fairbanks.. Jackets extra fuel, blankets food and perhaps a radio. you should be fine but being prepared never hurts..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykids View Post
the ferry is approved but it has been suggested you get a birthing room on the trip which you will be out of pocket for. You will get per deim that will cover the room though. You can always get an alaksa attack vehicle when you get there to do most of your local traveling. Make sure you have a nice little emergency kit for the trip from the ferry to fairbanks.. Jackets extra fuel, blankets food and perhaps a radio. you should be fine but being prepared never hurts..
Wow, they have "Birthing Rooms" on the Ferry now?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on the season. Some winters aren't bad, but sometimes at the beginning and also at the end of winter we get frozen rain (sleet). Some other times we get it in the middle of the winter when the Chinook winds bring warmth to the interior. The dry but very cold roads get covered with a thick layer of ice, and sometimes it takes longer than a week plus very cold temperatures to dry the roads again.

Some of the worst sections of road are on the Richardson, from Summit Lake and beyond all the way to Fairbanks. Over by Healy, on the Parks, the road turns to a sheet of ice. But I agree with you about the snow being dry and fluffy most of the time.
I think it's better here than in Anchorage-I always wore ice cleats there, but right now it sure is icy with all the thawing during the day. The Richardson can be scary, especially at Tenderfoot Mountain north of Delta Junction. I'm not usually driving though so I shouldn't be giving anyone road advice.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 50,296 times
Thank you everyone for the replies. We bought a Milepost but haven't started reading it yet. I wish I could trade my truck or sell it but not able to at this time

I have lived pretty much everywhere in Florida but born in Jacksonville and live in Panama City Beach for the last 17 years. I didn't know what CL was for as I rarely use Craigs List do to all the scams.

Does anyone know what the best type of chains are? I looked some up the other day and saw the have some diamond shaped and ones that have one chain going over the tire every few inches.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl0808 View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies. We bought a Milepost but haven't started reading it yet. I wish I could trade my truck or sell it but not able to at this time

I have lived pretty much everywhere in Florida but born in Jacksonville and live in Panama City Beach for the last 17 years. I didn't know what CL was for as I rarely use Craigs List do to all the scams.

Does anyone know what the best type of chains are? I looked some up the other day and saw the have some diamond shaped and ones that have one chain going over the tire every few inches.
Cable chains. Best to use four, even if you have a 2WD vehicle, and put them on when needed only, because you won't be able to drive fast with these things on.

That said, once you get here you won't want to drive your truck during the winter. 2WD trucks in the interior are mostly driven during the summer, and are a lot cheaper than AWD and 4X4s.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Only advice I can give, being a pickup truck driver myself is that weight is your friend, especially in a 2WD. Luckily you have a F150 and not a ranger or S10- although you didn't say what year. Makes a difference as Ford put traction control on the relatively newer ones which should help a bit. I have the first year they put it on Super Duty's and liked it when I was in snow this past summer in Utah. On your way up you should be ok for weight as I am assuming the back of the bed will be loaded down wit your stuff. Try to put the heaviest items towards the back (tailgate area) of the truck. If anything keep your two 5-gal cans of fuel there - if you don't have anything heavier. I usually keep coolers (or warmers once you get to the cold) filled with drinks and stuff in the tailgate area.

Once you get there you have several options for weight. I know people that figure out a way to freeze a layer of water in the bed or haul firewood. For the more sophisticated, there are companies that sell weights for the bed. ShurTrax is one such company. As I, too, live in Florida I don't have it and I don't need it for my local driving and out of town, the 8' bed is full to the bed cover!

I have a 4WD F350 now and I still notice a big difference in driving on slick roads with weight in the back.

I have never driven or been to AK, so I can't comment on the roads and fuel stops. Looking at maps, I don't see any major issues as long as you follow the fill-up advice. You probably have a 26-gal tank and a 300 mile range. I do this on my trips anyways. We stop for a bathroom, food break, I always top off and I always have extra cans of fuel just in case. I keep 4, 5-gal cans with me, but I have a long bed DIESEL truck... And I admit, I over prepare - Ohh and check gas prices, you may want to make sure everything is topped off before crossing the border, because from there on you pay more for fuel. FWIW, I checked Edmonton and currently it is around 1.10 per LITER for regular, which works out to $4.40/Gal. Rural areas may be more, but I don't know... AK is typically 10% higher than Miami for fuel, probably 15% higher than Jax. (you typically have cheaper prices then we do down here)

BTW, you can rent a sat phone that *should* work in most areas that do not have cell phone coverage and you only pay for minutes you use.... It might be the best $100 you spent if you needed it. Minute costs are outrageous so it is just an emergency use phone. Although your cell phone when/if it works in Canada is also $$$$.

Have a safe trip.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Wish I could edit, apparently Edmonton has about the cheapest fuel prices in Canada, British Colombia is higher at about 133-144 per liter, which is around $5.00 - $5.45 a gal in US prices...

The current exchange rate doesn't help you either since it isn't like the old days where the US Dollar went further in Canada... It is about at Parity right now ($1 USD = $1 CANADIAN)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks