Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 PM

32 posts, read 75,348 times

Advertisements

My electricity numbers are based off the 19 cents per kW hour that my GVEA bill reflects, including the fuel surcharge.

And there is no moisture in a garage that has a boiler running in it. The boiler burns what tiny amount of moisture there is in the Fairbanks winter air. You probably notice how dry your home is with the boiler running in a utility room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM

The GVEA site you mention says to use 20cents per kW. I just looked at my June bill and its at 23cents/kWhour...

The key thing in the line where it says 2-4 hours to plug in a small car, is that it be a "well maintained" vehicle. That means fresh, clean, lightweight oil.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Having a garage is always better than not having one... Period. Parking a vehicle in the garage is always going to be better for the vehicle - whether you are in a hot climate or a cold one. A place to store your 'stuff' is nice as well.

Properly maintaining a vehicle is important whether it is parked in a garage or outside. No one recommends below zero cold starts (if you can help it) and no one recommends immediately driving off without a idle warm-up.

The real question concerns affordability. Regardless of the electric cost - there is a high chance that the rent is going to be more with a 'garage' to park in.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift1 View Post
The GVEA site you mention says to use 20cents per kW. I just looked at my June bill and its at 23cents/kWhour...

The key thing in the line where it says 2-4 hours to plug in a small car, is that it be a "well maintained" vehicle. That means fresh, clean, lightweight oil.
That's not what I am talking about. If you go to GVEA and ask for advise relating to how to save electricity if you have to plug-in your car during the winter, they will point you in the right direction (timers, and monthly cost for plugin your car). As I said before, I never pay the amount you pay for plugging your car. My bill is around $200.00 a month during the coldest month for all the electricity use around the house.

But lest say that a tenant pays $85.00 a month to heat his car's motor from 2-3 hours maximum x 6 months (winter), how can that be more expensive than paying from $100.00 to $200 more a month x 12 months to have a garage?

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-27-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Having a garage is always better than not having one... Period. Parking a vehicle in the garage is always going to be better for the vehicle - whether you are in a hot climate or a cold one. A place to store your 'stuff' is nice as well.

Properly maintaining a vehicle is important whether it is parked in a garage or outside. No one recommends below zero cold starts (if you can help it) and no one recommends immediately driving off without a idle warm-up.

The real question concerns affordability. Regardless of the electric cost - there is a high chance that the rent is going to be more with a 'garage' to park in.
The question the OP asked is as follows: "Is it necessary to have garage in Fairbanks?"

That its is better or convenient is another story all by itself. If you work on your vehicle, having a warm garage during the winter is quite better than working outside. But if you don't, the garage is just a convenience since the mechanic takes care of the car for you...indoors. Don't forget that you are paying for a garage 12 months of the year.

If a person's money situation is tight, an extra $100.00-$200.00 a month may be difficult.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-27-2013 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
"Is it necessary to have a garage in Fairbanks?"

No - neither you nor your vehicle will experience some sort of bizarre matter/anti-matter reaction and delete yourself from the universe if you don't park in a garage during the winter

There are many ways to overcome vehicular starting & running stresses during extreme cold temps, a heated garage is only one of them.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Well, considering that probably less than 20% of people in Fairbanks park in a garage, I'd say it isn't necessary.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift1 View Post
Well, considering that probably less than 20% of people in Fairbanks park in a garage, I'd say it isn't necessary.
That is a great answer... And one that would help me as a non-resident and probably the OP too. Even though I already knew that it couldn't be 'required' and was more of a nicety than anything else.

But in my own mind -- it goes along with, is indoor plumbing required? The answer is obviously no, you can use an outhouse and carry your water in to shower and do dishes... Is it NICE to have, yes. Does it cost more to rent a 'wet' house vs. a damp or dry cabin, yep... Probably by hundreds a month in rent as well.

Alot depends on your own life situation. What you think is important to you and if you are willing to pay for it.

Ideally, I would want an attached garage that all my vehicles could fit in, so that whenever I wanted to 'run out' of the house I could. I wouldn't have to worry about unplugging or forgetting to turn on the heaters before that spur of the moment trip from home. And since I do all of my own maintenance and minor repairs, there is a certain amount of savings to be gained there too. If you are looking at this PURELY from a financial standpoint.

To the OP - Good luck and if you can, let us know what you decided on and why.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM

84 posts, read 326,699 times
If you rent a place that is in the hills (above 1000 ft) inversion will keep your car warmer at night. My car actually was colder during the day when at work than parked on the driveway during the overnight hours on most nights. Also I only plugged in the car below -8 F, and I'd say I only had to plug in 10-20 nights total. Used a timer too. Also would skip plugging in on weekends.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Love the hillside area. One person told me they don't plug in till it gets -10 and I wondered how people determine what the cutoff point is for them? When visiting in January I only plugged in once when it reached -14 while on Cleary Summit (once again, they said, I brought the AZ heat with me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks