Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,564 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and i are moving from Georgia to Alaska are there any pod companies i can get down here to move up there? I was also wondering if you could tell me of places to rent there are a total of 11 but only 10 stay around all the time my husband is a truck driver looking for a job before we move up there. I have 8 kids and my caretaker and my along with my 8 year old dog. so if I could get some help i would very much thank everyone cause i know there are some nice people out there willing to help us.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
You posted in the Fairbanks forum... Is that where you are looking to move?
Carlile Trucking is usually hiring, especially experienced drivers. Current Openings
I don't believe there are any pod companies that go all the way to Alaska. I think you have to ship to Seattle/Tacoma and then transfer it to Alaska Marine Lines or TOTE. But I could be wrong...
Do a search of these forums. Shipping stuff to Alaska has been discussed before.
And just to let you know... The cost of living in Alaska is shockingly higher than what you are used to in Georgia.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM

13 posts, read 23,769 times
Fort Knox Gold Mine is always looking for drivers from what I have been told. Takes some searching to find the jobs listing, you can start below. Click on USA, then Alaska then on the Fairbanks area.

Kinross: North America

Shipping to Alaska is expensive, I paid $3400 to ship my Jeep up from Florida. Lot's of people drive a truck up towing a box trailer, you see box trailers for sale all the time up here that people used to move with. There is a chance you can break even selling the trailer to someone looking to return to the lower 48.

I recommend contacting a shipping agent close to you and getting a quote, they would be best suited to handle the entire shipping process, overland to the port, booking on the barge and overland to your final destination. It's won't be cheap!

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM

i am paying about the same price down here for the same i found in Alaska but its where the family wants to go.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygryph View Post
i am paying about the same price down here for the same i found in Alaska but its where the family wants to go.
I'm guessing you are talking about rent? I'm also talking about the cost of heating, the cost of food, the cost of gasoline...
For example... What do you pay for gallon of milk, loaf of bread & dozen eggs?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
PODS doesn't deliver to AK - or at least they didn't when I checked it out 6 months ago. I picked moving my stuff from Florida to Seattle and went into sticker shock... So it really doesn't matter, it would be too cost prohibitive.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM

a loaf of bread any where between $.88-1.40 milk is 3.99 a gallon if on sale dozen of eggs 2.15 so yea and i have a big family so i am not sure it would make much differnece on me. my husband was talking about renting a u-haul.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM

32 posts, read 75,348 times
Wow... You want to bring 10 kids to Alaska to be supported by one truck driver? I don't understand how people survive in this town with 2 incomes and no kids... I'm sure you will get free medical and WIC food and other benefits, but still--room to sleep 11-12 people is going to run at least $2000 a month. Yikes.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Don't you watch Ice Road Truckers...Alex Debogorski supports his family (11 Children) by driving truck on just his income.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Just for your information: Alaska truck drivers with all kinds of CDL's are a dime a dozen. Even the local unions train drivers locally, and unions are big up here. I am not kidding Even people like me who don't need a CDL have one. But a good diesel engine mechanic can easily find work up here.

In Fairbanks expect to pay around $1,200 a month for a 2-bedroom apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks