Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,173,538 times

Advertisements

Wow Nature Coast. You have beautiful pictures. That dog is just stunning!
And you're from Florida? You've done a lot in just a short time there. Have a wonderful trip and post lots and lots more pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM

198 posts, read 960,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Wow Nature Coast. You have beautiful pictures. That dog is just stunning!
And you're from Florida? You've done a lot in just a short time there. Have a wonderful trip and post lots and lots more pictures.
Thanks, and I am also going to work each weekday! Will post more pics soon.

I'm heading back to Chena Hot Springs this weekend, it was just too great not to do it again!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,050,445 times
Nice pics, it all appears so abnormally clear.....

First thing I noticed is no ice fog,

.....you're lucky there appears to be no inversion happening.

Fairbanks is so very different when it's socked in by a CO2 laden ice fog.

Where do you live in Florida?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM

198 posts, read 960,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Nice pics, it all appears so abnormally clear.....

First thing I noticed is no ice fog,

.....you're lucky there appears to be no inversion happening.

Fairbanks is so very different when it's socked in by a CO2 laden ice fog.

Where do you live in Florida?

Although the pics dont show it, there was some really bad ice fog late last week. It was crazy, you could not see more than 50-100 feet.

As my name suggests, I live on the nature coast which is on the west coast of florida from pasco county north to levy county.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureCoastFL View Post
As my name suggests, I live on the nature coast which is on the west coast of florida from pasco county north to levy county.
...some good fishing in those little rivers there...

Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM

20,302 posts, read 37,250,490 times
The -40 ice fog in fairbanks? This is the way it was last week:
On my way to work at 7:45 AM in the darkness

And then on my way home at 4:45 PM, with the sun in the background. Both times I was waiting for the light to change, so I had enough time to snap a couple of pictures.

Keep in mind that the camera captures a lot more than what one can see. For example, while driving in the morning, the only way I could tell if my car was in the driving lane was by keeping an eye on the taillights of the car ahead, and by looking to the line on the road to the left of my car. It's that bad.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
Nice pics as usual Ray.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of Chena...I've been wanting to get up there myself this winter.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM

heh, heh, ...that's more like the Fairbanks in the winter I know,

.....exhaust laden ice fog/smog with some palpable substance to it.

You're right, ray, ....the pictures don't really do it justice, groping your way through it is really nothing like those snaps....

Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nice pics as usual Ray.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of Chena...I've been wanting to get up there myself this winter.
The weather is perfect now, not too cold, except that I prefer times when there are clouds in the background. Have you gone along the road by the flood project in North Pole? Just before you get to the dam, there is a small parking area by the road. Right below the parking area, there is a slough you can walk to. It's completely frozen, of course The Yukon Quest racers and teams traveled on that slough last week. I sometimes take pictures there, but usually when there is a blue sky and some nice clouds in the background.

Then I drive to the Chena Rec. Area, park by the last pavilion at the left (by the beginning of the skiing trail), and then walk toward the river. Again, the sky must look nice, otherwise the pictures are kind of boring. Another area is the slough on Eielson Farms Road. Why the sky looks good, one can take nice photos there.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
heh, heh, ...that's more like the Fairbanks in the winter I know,

.....exhaust laden ice fog/smog with some palpable substance to it.

You're right, ray, ....the pictures don't really do it justice, groping your way through it is really nothing like those snaps....

To make things worst, and few weeks ago the Richardson Highway had a thick layer of solid and sleek ice. The ice was clear as glass (that type of ice). Well, it got real cold last week, and some of the ice was still there. There were a bunch of accidents on the stretch of road leading to the Mitchell. There were cars on the medium (facing North Pole), on the shoulder, some with all the tires up in the air, some others on their sides. It was a big mess. The driving speed through there slowed to a crawl, but even so there were people having accidents, because they could not see, and could not stop in time to avoid hitting other cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks