Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 23,190 times

Advertisements

I am going to be movig to Fairbanks for the summer this year with some friends. We will be there from the middle of May until the first week of September. My guy friends got jobs working construction making really good money, but I was wondeirng if anyone could tell me a good place for a 24 year old woman to work in Fairbanks for the summer where I could make a lot of money. I have googled summer jobs but a lot of them are for college students and do not pay well. I am very excited but also need to find something quick before we leave. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
So you want to come up here...take a job, make lot's of money...then leave? A job that a local or new resident could use? One that plans on staying here and spending here, and will need to eat and heat through the winter?
I'm not gonna help you with that.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,190 times
Let me clarify. I have worked my butt off for the past 6 years earning a Bachelors and Masters degree, and now I want to have fun for the first time in a long time. My friends go up to Fairbanks every summer and work for a friend doing construction. This year they invited me to go with them, and while we will work we will also do a lot of fun stuff as well. I have a ton of student loans to pay off so I want to work when i am there not just sit around and spend money. That is my reason for going to Fairbanks for the summer, and from looking on UAF and other websites there are places that hire people specifically for the summer months knowing that they will leave and that is the type of job I want to do, but obiously want to get paid a decent amount. Sorry if that offends anyone but I know a lot of people that go places for the summer to work and then move somewhere else. I think it is a great opportunity and something I may never get to do again.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion4me View Post
I am going to be movig to Fairbanks for the summer this year with some friends. We will be there from the middle of May until the first week of September. My guy friends got jobs working construction making really good money, but I was wondeirng if anyone could tell me a good place for a 24 year old woman to work in Fairbanks for the summer where I could make a lot of money. I have googled summer jobs but a lot of them are for college students and do not pay well. I am very excited but also need to find something quick before we leave. Thanks!
You can make a little more working construction, landscaping, and that sort of work during the summer, but in reality the cost of living is so high, that what it seems plenty comes-in one hand and goes out the other. If you can work as a waitress and are good at it, you should be able to make some money yearlong. Check with Princess and the other tour companies, but again, it won't be lots of money. Some dancers at the local clubs make much more money, but I would not recommend that kind of work to any of my relatives nor friends But then, a 24-year old woman is in her prime, so anything is possible. Go for it.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
and from looking on UAF and other websites there are places that hire people specifically for the summer months knowing that they will leave and that is the type of job I want to do, but obiously want to get paid a decent amount.
Then apply for those jobs that you see on the websites you mentioned. I don't see the problem here, unless those jobs don't pay enough for you.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can make a little more working construction, landscaping, and that sort of work during the summer, but in reality the cost of living is so high, that what it seems plenty comes-in one hand and goes out the other. If you can work as a waitress and are good at it, you should be able to make some money yearlong. Check with Princess and the other tour companies, but again, it won't be lots of money. Some dancers at the local clubs make much more money, but I would not recommend that kind of work to any of my relatives nor friends But then, a 24-year old woman is in her prime, so anything is possible. Go for it.
Throws 2 bucks on the table.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Seriously, you're wanting to do a certain type of job, like you saw on the UAF website, but you want to be paid a lot more than what those jobs offer. That isn't realistic. If you're coming up here with a few other people and sharing a place for the summer, your expenses shouldn't be all that high, though probably more than you're used to. The summer jobs are primarily in the service industry. You'll make more money than anything else by working as a server, provided you have experience.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM

12 posts, read 47,714 times
I agree with the above post.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:28 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,543 times
Maybe work in the National parks or on the railroad. They hire lots of temps. If you do the railroad then you could see a good bit of the state.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,492 times
As previously mentioned, the tourism jobs are mostly service-oriented, which means the pay is what it is - not great.

The stuff listed on the UAF summer jobs site is about as good as it's going to get for seasonal work - which is, by and large, aimed at college students. That's a group of people who have the summer months of the year available, can't hold down other year-round, stable employment due to academic commitments and who are often interested in spending a summer in Alaska. Those wages aren't going to get any higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks