Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,218 times

Advertisements

So heating oil is about $4/gallon now, and I'm looking for some sort of alternate heat. We are trying to purchase a home that has a decorative fireplace downstairs. Someone told me you could convert fireplaces into woodstoves, and use them as a heat source. Does anyone know if this is true, and what a good brand would be?

I'm currently averaging $500 a month on heat, and it's killin me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_AK View Post
So heating oil is about $4/gallon now, and I'm looking for some sort of alternate heat. We are trying to purchase a home that has a decorative fireplace downstairs. Someone told me you could convert fireplaces into woodstoves, and use them as a heat source. Does anyone know if this is true, and what a good brand would be?

I'm currently averaging $500 a month on heat, and it's killin me.
About $600.00 for me (heating fuel and electricity), and around $800.00 per month at fuel costing $4.00 or so per gallon.

Modern fireplaces like the ones produced today are very efficient, and run much cleaner than old ones. Most are EPA listed, too. The main differences between the old ones and new are as follows: new ones run for extended periods of time, some have a catalytic baffle to burn the hot gasses further, and all regulate the input air. However, their output BTU/HR is not greater than those of old fireplaces. They just run for long periods, while the old ones burn wood fast.

I was going to replace the fireplace I now have with a new one from The Woodway (in Fairbanks), but a builder friend of mine, as well as several of my co-workers talked me into replacing the fireplace with a wood stove. I will have The Woodway installing the stove and stove pipe, and then pass the information to my insurance company. I could do the work myself, but then I would have to ask the insurer to come to my home to inspect my work. Not so if the work is professionally done. The installation cost will be around $750.00 if done within 30 days from the quoted price. After 30 days, then they can charge me more.

The reason why a wood stove dissipates more heat into a room (s) is because it's not right into the wall like a fireplace, but away from the wall and right in the room. It means that the heat from it is felt all the way around the stove. New stoves use either a series of baffles to slow down and burn the hot gasses further, or a catalyst baffle. Most wood stoves, just like new fireplaces, burn very clean. That's the case for the one I will have installed at my home within three weeks. This one will be a Jotul F-500. My wife likes an ivory enamel color, and since she is the most wonderful person I can think of, I went ahead and ordered one for her. The total cost will be around $4,600.

I am in the process of removing the mantle, rocks, hearth, and fireplace. Then I will open the wall for the technician to do his work, and also build a floor hearth for the stove to sit on. After that, I will install sheet-rock, tape and texture the wall, and then paint it.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Default Other heat savings ideas

We are believing you have already turned down the thermostats to 68 or less. and Everyone is wearing sweaters.

things to think about:

Does the boiler fire everytime the hot water is run in the house? IF you answer Yes then the side arm system may need repiped, especially if the storage tank is a hot water heater.
Depending on the size of the family it may be cheaper in the long run to use an electric hot water heater instead, for the summer months.
Do you have a new boiler that is either condensing or lets it get cold on no demand? If not your boiler is running just to keep the boiler warm. If you put in an electric water heater turn off the boiler. Summer time use.
Would installing a Monitor, or Toyo brand space heater be better as they are much more efficient for the $ or gallon of fuel used. Will the house floor plan be compatible with such a layout.

What about Solar? Solar in either a heat sink, or evacuated solar tube system will heat your domestic water most months of the year and can either preheat or suppliment your main heating system.

There is rumors that someone is installing some sort of heat pump in Fairbanks,if they can make this work it may be a viable alternative. The caution may be could they freeze the ground way down and cause foundation issues. Too soon to answer that one.

Talk with the folks at the Cold Climate Research Center, maybe they have more ideas, also check out the Cooperative Extension Service.

A good vapor barrier and quality insulation lots of insulation is better than other forms of heating.

Remember to have a healthy house, ie: not too tight, needs some air exchanges a day.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,218 times
My main question is, is there anyway to convert an existing fireplace into a better heat source. Someone told me you could just stick an "insert" in there, and it would control the burn & use a fan to blow the heat out into the room. Anyone heard of such a thing, or do you just have to pull the fireplace out & stick in a wood stove?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
A rumford style fireplace is a decent heater, but from the sounds of, it's probably the typical modern (useless for heating) fireplace. Yes there are woodstoves designed to be inserted into normal fireplaces (not into prefab fireplaces as far as I know), but, the chimney connection is important, and if the chimney for the fireplace is not the correct size it must either be lined to bring it to the right size, or replaced with a proper chimney. It may or may not be cost effective to mess with the fireplace, it may just be less hassle to install a freestanding woodstove elsewhere with its own new chimney. With a decent freestanding wood stove you don't really need a blower.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
My main question is, is there anyway to convert an existing fireplace into a better heat source. Someone told me you could just stick an "insert" in there, and it would control the burn & use a fan to blow the heat out into the room. Anyone heard of such a thing, or do you just have to pull the fireplace out & stick in a wood stove?
When we lived in Oregon years ago, we had a wood stove fireplace insert that just slid in the fireplace. I've seen ones that have a blower system to circulate air through a baffle system. This was years ago, so I don't know if they're still available. I'd also check to see if there are pellet stove inserts since they better regulate the heat output.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Yes it is true you can put an insert in there, they are not cheap but in the long run will save you. They go directly into your existing fireplace, you may have to locate a electrical source near the fireplace to install the fan, but they are indeed good items to have during this increase in energy prices.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
A fireplace insert in fairbanks and vicinity works fine until perhaps November. However, the BTU'HR output (the heat blown into the house by the fans) is not going to be greater than the heat output blowing into the house by the fireplace itself. An insert will cost you just as much as a new fireplace, and more than likely the local technicians won't install it for you. They will order and sell it to you, but that's all. I already checked on fireplaces and inserts, and that's why I am going with a wood stove.

The fireplace I was looking at would cost me a couple of $2,000 more than the wood stove I selected. The old fireplace I have in my house has two electric blowers, and right now with the ambient temperature outside the house (around 40 degrees, I believe), it could take 2 hours to bring the temperature in the living room 2 degrees warmer. Most of the heat goes up the stack. An insert does about the same, except that the new ones are very efficient and run cleaner. But a 70,00 BTU fireplace or insert cannot match a 35,000 BTU stove that is dissipating heat all around itself in the same room. The insert or fireplace depend on a set of built-in fans to move a little hot air that builds up above a sort of hood or lid that covers the firebox. You can use a fan to move the hot air in the room with the stove, and direct that air toward other rooms in the house and do a better job than what a fireplace or insert can.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-28-2008 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Man how could you guys stand those winter tempertures up there. A few winters ago I remember looking at newspaper and it said a HIGH for Fairbanks of like -40F or -50F during the daytime in January. That must be the coldest spot in the US. Even colder than Minnesota and North Dakota. The coldest weather I've been here in California was only 30F. It was early morning and I was freezing and I had 3 layers of clothes on.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Man how could you guys stand those winter tempertures up there. A few winters ago I remember looking at newspaper and it said a HIGH for Fairbanks of like -40F or -50F during the daytime in January. That must be the coldest spot in the US. Even colder than Minnesota and North Dakota. The coldest weather I've been here in California was only 30F. It was early morning and I was freezing and I had 3 layers of clothes on.
Well, the record cold temperature years ago was around -80 degrees or so in Prospect Creek. In Yukon, Canada -81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks