U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
4,402 posts, read 2,880,443 times
Reputation: 1643

Advertisements

When do the leaves start changing color in Fairbanks Alaska area?


When is fall color at its peak usually?


Please and thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,835 posts, read 31,573,116 times
Reputation: 13921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
When do the leaves start changing color in Fairbanks Alaska area?


When is fall color at its peak usually?


Please and thank you
Most times by mid August the birch leaves start turning yellow, then peak around mid September. Right now there are some leaves left on the birch around Fairbanks, but most have fallen toward Chena Lakes in North Pole. This usually happens on summers that are cool and rainy like this year.

But in years where dry and warm summers stretch through September, we usually have plenty of yellow color birch leaves on the trees as October nears.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,222 posts, read 2,243,459 times
Reputation: 2007
It's over in the Goldstream Valley. Already turning brown. Peak was probably two weeks ago, maybe? But Ray is right - depends on the weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2020, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
4,402 posts, read 2,880,443 times
Reputation: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It's over in the Goldstream Valley. Already turning brown. Peak was probably two weeks ago, maybe? But Ray is right - depends on the weather.
I take it that today things look more like winter minus the snowpack today in early October? That would mean peak foliage usually occurs around September 15th give or take a few days? Hmmm.... interesting I suppose the weather the last few days has been the Alaskan “Indian summer”, heard it got to near 70 F the other day, hope people got to enjoy the balmy weather before winter sets in
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,835 posts, read 31,573,116 times
Reputation: 13921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I take it that today things look more like winter minus the snowpack today in early October? That would mean peak foliage usually occurs around September 15th give or take a few days? Hmmm.... interesting I suppose the weather the last few days has been the Alaskan “Indian summer”, heard it got to near 70 F the other day, hope people got to enjoy the balmy weather before winter sets in
Sunday October 4th: 10-day weather forecast:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAK0083:1:US
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2020, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,222 posts, read 2,243,459 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sunday October 4th: 10-day weather forecast:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAK0083:1:US
I swapped-out the tires on my truck today, so that ought to guarantee a good 8-weeks of sunshine and beautiful weather. Haha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2020, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,835 posts, read 31,573,116 times
Reputation: 13921
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I swapped-out the tires on my truck today, so that ought to guarantee a good 8-weeks of sunshine and beautiful weather. Haha
I still have to swap the tires on two vehicles. Easy to do at home on a Toyota Corolla, but I take my wife's RAV4 to a local tire shop. The tires on the RAV4 are heavy, and the tire shop resets (registers) the TPMS sensors in the TPM computer. I just keep one full-set of winter tires mounted on rims in the shed (for 2 vehicles), so when winter arrives all I have to do is to remove the summer tires/wheels from the cars, and replace with the winter tires and wheels.

On the truck I have all-season tires year long, and the traction is quite good, maybe because the bed topper is a little heavy. Nothing special about the BFGoodrich tires, just that they wear a little faster than most all-season tires, because the rubber compound is a little softer. During the winter I set the truck (2001 Silverado) to 4-Auto, and seldom have to put it on 4WD.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,222 posts, read 2,243,459 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I still have to swap the tires on two vehicles. Easy to do at home on a Toyota Corolla, but I take my wife's RAV4 to a local tire shop. The tires on the RAV4 are heavy, and the tire shop resets (registers) the TPMS sensors in the TPM computer. I just keep one full-set of winter tires mounted on rims in the shed (for 2 vehicles), so when winter arrives all I have to do is to remove the summer tires/wheels from the cars, and replace with the winter tires and wheels.

On the truck I have all-season tires year long, and the traction is quite good, maybe because the bed topper is a little heavy. Nothing special about the BFGoodrich tires, just that they wear a little faster than most all-season tires, because the rubber compound is a little softer. During the winter I set the truck (2001 Silverado) to 4-Auto, and seldom have to put it on 4WD.
I hear you on the heavy tires. My tires are all mounted and the tires for my Silverado are really heavy. I am reasonably strong for my size, but I am little. I was considering digging two slots in front of the double doors of my shed that I can back the wheels into to make it easier to load them up each season.

My TPMS never works. I gave up on it and now have a piece of e-tape over the light on my dashboard and a nice tire pressure gauge.

I don't trust auto 4WD, although I'm going to have to warm up to it eventually just like all sorts of other things like automatic transmissions and windows, no windwings,.... :/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,835 posts, read 31,573,116 times
Reputation: 13921
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I hear you on the heavy tires. My tires are all mounted and the tires for my Silverado are really heavy. I am reasonably strong for my size, but I am little. I was considering digging two slots in front of the double doors of my shed that I can back the wheels into to make it easier to load them up each season.

My TPMS never works. I gave up on it and now have a piece of e-tape over the light on my dashboard and a nice tire pressure gauge.

I don't trust auto 4WD, although I'm going to have to warm up to it eventually just like all sorts of other things like automatic transmissions and windows, no windwings,.... :/
As long as you check the tire pressure once every 3-4 weeks, it should be fine. Most of the pressure changes happen with extreme ambient temperature changes. For example, summer temperatures versus winter's. But you don't want to have very low tire pressure, regardless of being summer or winter. The TPM sensors warn you of low tire pressure, before it gets to dangerous levels.

I take my wife's RAV for to a local tire shop where they reset the sensors, but not my Corolla. On this one I just set the tire pressure to the right number, and ignore the TPM signal. Then I check the pressure avery other month or so to make sure that it hasn't dropped. By the way, each day before driving it, I do a visual inspection of the tires to make sure that they look normal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,222 posts, read 2,243,459 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As long as you check the tire pressure once every 3-4 weeks, it should be fine. Most of the pressure changes happen with extreme ambient temperature changes. For example, summer temperatures versus winter's. But you don't want to have very low tire pressure, regardless of being summer or winter. The TPM sensors warn you of low tire pressure, before it gets to dangerous levels.

I take my wife's RAV for to a local tire shop where they reset the sensors, but not my Corolla. On this one I just set the tire pressure to the right number, and ignore the TPM signal. Then I check the pressure avery other month or so to make sure that it hasn't dropped. By the way, each day before driving it, I do a visual inspection of the tires to make sure that they look normal.
I do - thank you . I have some sort of OCD that's specific to vehicle maintenance, so I probably do it more often than necessary, but it makes me feel better to know everything's okay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top