Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 PM

58 posts, read 169,359 times

Advertisements

I need to get my german shepherd from Fairbanks to western North Carolina where my parents live. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
I would call the different airlines, most have a special dept for pets travelling.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
If you haven't done so already, I would post this question in the Pets -> Dog section of the General Forums. Maybe also in the Moving board.

Good luck in your move!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default with or without yourself?

The real question is...with or without yourself? If you ship an animal as unaccompanied baggage you're gonna pay a lot. If the dog is traveling with you as part of your baggage, it's a lot less.

Start checking which airlines go all the way, it's almost impossible to switch airlines at some midpoint unless you're along for the trip. And don't delay, when things get really cold some airlines stop shipping animals entirely. Same goes for summertime, when it get too hot.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM

639 posts, read 1,916,543 times
Alaska Air has the "Cargo" flights you can check that out at their website at the bottom of the page. And for a fee they will put your pet on a flight on a different airlines and also for a fee they will feed/water your pet. You will also need a vet certificate which can only be done X days before you fly your pet.
There are also pet relocation services that you can contact and they will do all the leg work for you. A full grown GSD is going to cost you some bucks though and I am not sure but Alaska Air may have a weight limit on pets not traveling with their owners. You might could contact some of the local rescues and see if they have anyone traveling that way that would help or allow your pet to travel with them.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Perhaps most importantly, keep in mind that you can only ship an animal on a plane (other than in the cabin which obviously a GS would not be), it has to be above 45 degrees at the point of departure, arrival, and any stops, on the day of travel. (It also has to be below around 80--I forget the exact temp. but that's not an issue at the moment!). Very tricky this time of year b/c even if it's normally over 45, a cold front coming through on the day of travel will mean they will not let your dog on the plane. We had this happen--not good!!

As for cost, it's somewhat expensive, but not taht bad (in my opinion). The temp. issue is a much bigger issue. I'm not sure how you solve that one in winter....if you can wait til spring obviously it's much easier). With or without someone on the plane, they won't let him on as he could die from exposure. A puppy or cat could go in the cabin but clearly not a GSD!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackwell View Post
I need to get my german shepherd from Fairbanks to western North Carolina where my parents live. Help!
Both cost and comfort-wise for the dog, you'd be better off finding someone who is actually travelling that way and contribute to their travel costs. I'd check craigslist, you'd have plenty of time to check references and so on. Alternatively, there used to be a loose group nationally of volunteers who would move pets called CUR - the Canine Underground Rairoad. They would drive dogs to a certain point, then hand them over to the next driver until the dog reached it's final destination. I don't know if they still exist, but there are also plenty of national no-kill shelters that would know. One of them that adopts dogs nationwide is HUA.org. You could check with them, too.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
deleted as i just realized you're in alaska. sorry.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,543 times
Actually Alaska Airlines has a temp. controlled flight for animals and such in their cargo flights. I just checked this out for a sled dog we were wanting. So you wouldn't have to go with the pet and you wouldn't have to worry about the temps. It would be expensive though,well at least I think so but if you love the dog then you can't put a price on that. Oh and I said it wrong it is called Animal Express not Cargo. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air Cargo Services
Per their brochure: Animals are loaded into a pressurized and temp. controlled area of the plane.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Sounds like to me this can be a road trip. Buy me gas and some food I'll do it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks