Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

129 posts, read 535,528 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ballpark costs of dentist/orthopedic surgeons in Fairbanks. I know everyone is different, times change, etc, but I've been told $15K by Helmbrecht....I think he had been hitting the NO3.

Any good tooth-pullers out there? A vet dentist was around for awhile, and was pulling teeth, any leads on her would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
I can't imagine $15k lol. It cost me $3000 and that was with an IV (it wasn't in Fairbanks, but I can't imagine it being 5x more). I highly recommend getting the IV, especially if your teeth aren't fully grown yet. Why don't you just call a few oral surgeons?

fairbanks oral surgeon - Google Maps

Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Fairbanks is crazy as far as dental prices! I paid $1500 for a VERY simple root canal, and the dentist didn't even cap/crown the tooth! I have an exposed filler that hurts like the devil if I chew with it. The dentist told me that the cap would cost another $2000, so my dental insurance is basically maxed out for the next year. Shallow fillings run about $250-350 per filling + materials, so dentistry is ridiculously expensive here.

I did call the surgeons in town, was given the run-around on prices. I have X-rays, but for an "Appraisal" it would cost $300, which is pretty lame just to find out a price. But I was literally given the figure of $8K-$15K by the two surgeons I called, and was told I had to make a $300 appointment to find the real price. And when I got my dental insurance, I thought I was getting a good deal! $2000 a year is almost worthless

Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
I'm looking for ballpark costs of dentist/orthopedic surgeons in Fairbanks. I know everyone is different, times change, etc, but I've been told $15K by Helmbrecht....I think he had been hitting the NO3.

Any good tooth-pullers out there? A vet dentist was around for awhile, and was pulling teeth, any leads on her would be great.
For that kind of money I can give you a referral in Cali and a room at the Marriott to recover. That is very very high unless you have some unusual anatomy.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Right? Actually, I was going to get it done in South America, where the care is much better, but I ran out of time. With a one-month trip, airfare and hotel, it still would cost less.

Well, I sucked it up and called Alaska Premier Dental in Anchorage; they GLADLY gave me a nearly exact estimate, and it was under $2000. What is wrong with Fairbanks' healthcare? It's downright HORRIBLE! And the surgeons in Fairbanks said I had to make an appointment 2 months in advance, and pay for a follow up inc. X-rays ($400)!

Goin' to Anchorage I guess

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
If Fairbanks it depends on whether the doc needs his super cub overhauled or a new jet boat. If you can find one without the toys you will be OK...

Oh, that's right. There is no such thing in Fairbanks. I know from personal experience and agree with you that dental work is crazy in Fairbanks. I had one guy look at my mouth and tell me I needed to replace almost everything in there with gold. That was $15K back in 1980!

I'm still using my old teeth. They aren't the best but they have lasted 29 years since that time . Ha!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
There is a lot of people here that go to Mexico and have the work done, the flight, hotel and work done is a fraction of what it is here. Not to mention you can get some good drinks to cure the pain, or at least make it hurt less...

Others have gone to Whitehorse in Canada and had it done there. One of the guys I worked with did that to have teeth pulled he drove back to Fairbanks the same day, he got home and had an infection and had to go to the hospital therein Fairbanks, he had insurance for the infection, but I would figure that he didn't win out on that one, so plan on spending a few days there to ensure healing in either place.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
If Fairbanks it depends on whether the doc needs his super cub overhauled or a new jet boat. If you can find one without the toys you will be OK...

Oh, that's right. There is no such thing in Fairbanks. I know from personal experience and agree with you that dental work is crazy in Fairbanks. I had one guy look at my mouth and tell me I needed to replace almost everything in there with gold. That was $15K back in 1980!

I'm still using my old teeth. They aren't the best but they have lasted 29 years since that time . Ha!
Still working on the orginal set I started out with, got a few caps and couple of plugs, but they are all still doing the job well over a half century of eating junk food as well as good stuff....

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

218 posts, read 518,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
Fairbanks is crazy as far as dental prices! I paid $1500 for a VERY simple root canal, and the dentist didn't even cap/crown the tooth! I have an exposed filler that hurts like the devil if I chew with it. The dentist told me that the cap would cost another $2000, so my dental insurance is basically maxed out for the next year. Shallow fillings run about $250-350 per filling + materials, so dentistry is ridiculously expensive here.

I did call the surgeons in town, was given the run-around on prices. I have X-rays, but for an "Appraisal" it would cost $300, which is pretty lame just to find out a price. But I was literally given the figure of $8K-$15K by the two surgeons I called, and was told I had to make a $300 appointment to find the real price. And when I got my dental insurance, I thought I was getting a good deal! $2000 a year is almost worthless
Regarding your root canal treatment, I would strongly urge you to at least get a permanent filling placed over the exposed filler. After the root canal they typically put in a temporary filling and you have to return to get a permanent one put in. If you don't bacteria can enter back into the canals and ruin the work done and you're out the money and/or tooth. The temporary fillings are only meant to last 4-6 weeks until you can get an appointment for the fill. Save up the cash for the crown if you can, but until then at least get the permanent filling put in.

As for wisdom teeth, Summit Oral Surgery in the valley does a great job and I guarantee it will be far under 15k. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
Regarding your root canal treatment, I would strongly urge you to at least get a permanent filling placed over the exposed filler. After the root canal they typically put in a temporary filling and you have to return to get a permanent one put in. If you don't bacteria can enter back into the canals and ruin the work done and you're out the money and/or tooth. The temporary fillings are only meant to last 4-6 weeks until you can get an appointment for the fill. Save up the cash for the crown if you can, but until then at least get the permanent filling put in.

As for wisdom teeth, Summit Oral Surgery in the valley does a great job and I guarantee it will be far under 15k. Good luck.
Nice to see you Quake..how are you all doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks