Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Of course not! I'm not a plus anymore either, but I sure remember what a pain it was to find clothes!
I have bought those Levis through Amazon, too, but you always have to pay shipping with them, Kohls does free shipping sometimes.
Nice. I love free shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
has anyone had much success w/ Torrid? I know a few ladies that have clothes from there. their lingerie collection looks pretty nice (I so want to buy a bone corset!). IMO, being a bigger, younger girl sucks b/c it seems like all plus sized clothing are so...dowdy. luckily, I can get some cute pieces at Gap, Old Navy, and other "mainstream" store, but sometimes these clothes aren't cut right for my frame and makes me look too slutty (I've got me some big "girls"! ). dresses and blouses are even worse and I don't have many of those. I'm grateful that I can still shop at regular stores and not be forced to shop only at specialty stores or only shop online

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Another place to look is Avenue. I've found some cute stuff there.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This a a great idea for a thread. Shopping tips for plus sizers....
I have found that Eddie Bauer fits great, but I always need to take a size or 2 larger than usual, so I don't like that. I am also tall, so regular plus sizes are never proportioned right for me. On the other hand, if I can get something in tall, then I usually don't need a plus size.
Anyway, if you are a size 18-20 or smaller, I highly recommend Cookie Johnson jeans, they are fabulous. I love Talbots because you can move between plus and regular to get a matching outfit. I hate Coldwater Creek, because they totally skip size 18M, 14W and 16W in pants which are the sizes I take.
You may have noticed that these stores are not cheap. Unfortunately, I haven't found any inexpensive plus sized clothing that doesn't look like s**t.
Women who wear plus sized clothing really should opt for quality over "cheapness". There is nothing worse than seeing a really large woman in ill fitting and very cheaply made clothing with flimsy material.

There are so many designers who offer a plus sized line now:
Anne Klein, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Lafayette 148, Tahari, David Meister, Eileen Fisher, Ellen Tracy....just to name a few.

Catch the better quality clothing on sale and buy wardrobe staple pieces that may cost a bit more but the quality, styling (and fit) will be better and longer lasting.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
Howdy...plus size, full figure, and all things curvaceous advocate here!....How's it goin?

Excellent thread!

I design clothes for the figured female... and will be the first to tell you that contrary to pop culture the full-figured shopper has a voice and that voice is only getting louder! There are plenty of plus sized outlets out there

here's a few to start off with....
*Plus-size Outerwear, Jackets, Coats, Blazers & Parkas @ Elegant Plus, Sizes 12-34w

Juniors' Clothing - Apparel & Accessories at Kohls.com

Plus Size Tops - Plus Sizes - Macy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Ladies, in this thread, we plus-sizers can commiserate, rejoice, and pass on tips.
To open....I'm not much of a fashionista...and I work in a literally filthy place, so I buy clothes from LL Bean, Land's End, sometimes Eddie Bauer. They have been godsends for basic clothes. But lately, they have offered fewer and fewer choices in plus sizes.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
[quote=Halo_in_reverse;15701950]Be careful what you open yourself up to. There are certain members who post quite regularly on this forum (they know who they are ) that have an extreme intolerance for women of size and gain nothing but sheer pleasure of patronizing and flat out making fun of people who have weight issues.
[quote]

I picked up on one like that in a thread several months back. I decided to look at his profile and had to laugh at his photograph. While he didn't appear heavy himself, the man was perched on the fence of "ugly". Not much he can do with THAT outside of radical surgery.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Macy's has a pretty good plus size section.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
Default Plus-sized fashions don't skimp on style

Interesting article on Plus Fashion and style...

http://test.calgarysun.com/life/fash...-15077876.html

Last edited by Bjones1976; 09-03-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty