Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times

Advertisements

I had my ears pierced about 18 times in various parts i.e. pinna and antitragus. But today, I wear a grand total of ZERO earrings. I think earrings are quite unprofessional looking. They also hurt when you get punched in the head/ear during a fight. The holes in the fleshy parts never close up, but the ones in the cartilage do. So now I walk around looking totally unprofessional with multiple holes in my ears.

I don't think eminent women have more than 1 standard piercing per ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
...earrings are quite unprofessional.....they also hurt when you get punched in the head/ear during a fight.

Your post is such a strange paradox miyu. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I had my ears pierced about 18 times in various parts i.e. pinna and antitragus. But today, I wear a grand total of ZERO earrings. I think earrings are quite unprofessional looking. They also hurt when you get punched in the head/ear during a fight. The holes in the fleshy parts never close up, but the ones in the cartilage do. So now I walk around looking totally unprofessional with multiple holes in my ears.

I don't think eminent women have more than 1 standard piercing per ear.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
they also hurt when you get punched in the head/ear during a fight.
Do you regularly get punched in the head?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Inquiry: Do eminent women have their ears pierced?

Helyah, hommies. Alla Eminem's women pierce their earrs and wear lots of bling-bling on'em. Multiple piercings in each ear too with them hoes!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you regularly get punched in the head?
Not anymore, thank God. But it probably explains a lot.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
>> it would be interesting to see if people in established families pierce their daughters' ears at a young age.

I think so, too, and I have no idea what the answer is. Is it considered low-class, primitive?.
At the risk of being very general (and not meaning to offend) I was always led to believe that it is not what people of stature, education or "moneyed families" do to baby girls or very young girls. It was considered low class. Though,Sometimes, it is an ethnic practice. I never saw people of means nor the ol blue bloods with babes/toddlers with pierced ears. My mother, who certainly cared about such things, made sure to point this out. She thought it barbaric and lowly and this was pretty much the consensus of people I knew growing up. She and her lovely clip ons. I cant temember any big discussion on this or why, but it was what the "low class" did.
I dont hold to such generalizations, and to each his own, but I do find the practice very silly,.Why put your beautiful baby thru this silly ritual? Wait till they are older to want them.
Oh well,Different strokes. I have them, daughters have them (since young teens) but I sure think its a shame on babies.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Wow. I never even considered how it would feel to be punched in the head while wearing earrings ..... With any luck, I won't have to find out anytime soon.

OP - your height would be an ASSET in the world of ballroom dance - particularly in International Standard!!!

When I was a kid, sometimes other kids made fun of me because I have long, lanky arms and legs. I used to be self-conscious about it - until I started beating my fellow competitors in almost every Standard comp I danced. The reason? I can fill up my "space" with my long limbs and I can travel around the floor and use the floor the way it's meant to be used. So ..... NEVER feel awkward about your height - I'm sure you're beautiful!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I think that women who wear jewelry can often be seen as 'frivolous' and a little self centered. Especially women in power surrounded by men. I know that I stopped wearing any type of jewelry (except for my little silver ring that says 'blessed be') many years ago because it's seen as overly feminine. If you work with a bunch of guys and want to get promoted or fit in, you don't wear diamond earrings and gold necklaces.

And for the OP, I'm a 6'1 female...celebrate your height!! I LOVE being over 6' tall!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
At the risk of being very general (and not meaning to offend) I was always led to believe that it is not what people of stature, education or "moneyed families" do to baby girls or very young girls. It was considered low class. Though,Sometimes, it is an ethnic practice. I never saw people of means nor the ol blue bloods with babes/toddlers with pierced ears. My mother, who certainly cared about such things, made sure to point this out. She thought it barbaric and lowly and this was pretty much the consensus of people I knew growing up. She and her lovely clip ons. I cant temember any big discussion on this or why, but it was what the "low class" did.
I dont hold to such generalizations, and to each his own, but I do find the practice very silly,.Why put your beautiful baby thru this silly ritual? Wait till they are older to want them.
Oh well,Different strokes. I have them, daughters have them (since young teens) but I sure think its a shame on babies.
I was raised the same way. I got my ears pierced at 10-years-old after many discussions about "being old enough" and "knowing exactly what you are doing to your body." Since holes in the lower ear never completely close, it's permanent body modification. It's a shame that some girls who may never want to wear earrings are forced to get them as babies. I wasn't raised to think of babies with pierced ears as being low class, but it comes across that way to me now because it shows a lack of parental concern.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I was wondering, do eminent women have their ears pierced. As hypotheticals, I can't remember whether Hillary Clinton (for example) wears pierced earrings or not. Or if you had a meeting (this is far-fetched, I realize) with (say) Kissinger, would you wear dangling earrings? Or any earrings?

Supposing you had a meeting with a Chinese official, in order to get permission to do business in his province. Would you wear earrings?
Yes, I would.

There are compromises I'd do in certain cultures (for example, I would cover my head if I took a trip to Iran).

But unless earrings are taboo or banned in China, I would definitely wear them; with 38 years of wearing long dangles and hoops, I could only go so far in presenting something I'm not.

As for Kissinger, hell with him. I'd go exactly as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty