Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We need to stop thinking that it is a "Nanny State" mentality to implement a healthier change for our students....America's children are at a very great risk for many weight-related health problems. And we do not need people pushing the idea that Twinkies are a "health" food. We are killing ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'm going to call it "Nanny State" mentality because it is. Sorry.
Seems that education has much more pressing matters to worry about - like how to teach children so that they actually LEARN something. After they have mastered that task, then they can stick their noses into other things.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
I'm going to call it "Nanny State" mentality because it is. Sorry.
And this, the intellectual inability to digest a large chunk of information in order to formulate an opinion, leads to folks like you clutching at the knee-jerk sound-bite solution. That is why we as a society will remain fat and our life expectancy will go down... those who control our food supply count on a populace of MoNative34s. And they are right to do so.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Average women in the 50s absolutely were thinner - go look at your own family photos as evidence. The reason for the difference between then and now is our modern food supply is quite horrible, and the worst foods receive the highest amount of federal subsidies and as such are the cheapest.
Then I'm willing to entertain the notion that the chubby women in my mom's late 50s/early 60s yearbooks were cultural anomalies...when I do look through photos from that generation, I see a range of sizes and shapes, I really do.

I am completely with you on the issues having to do with our food sources and marketing, and fully recognize that this comes into play on why so many MORE people are overweight. I've studied this as well, as well as the cultural/lifestyle changes that went hand in hand in the last 60 years that led to a market for cheap, fast, calorie-laden food.

At the same time, though, regardless of the fact that there was not an obesity epidemic in, say, the 1950s, there were still people of all shapes and sizes. Everyone wasn't slim. It's just that the majority were not morbidly obese. There does seem to be a pervasive mentality, too, among some (both on here and elsewhere that if you're not slim, you're morbidly obese. No middle ground.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:13 PM

113 posts, read 245,312 times
Leave it to a New Yorker to ramble in their own liberal nanny state worshiping self importance.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:32 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
And this, the intellectual inability to digest a large chunk of information in order to formulate an opinion, leads to folks like you clutching at the knee-jerk sound-bite solution. That is why we as a society will remain fat and our life expectancy will go down... those who control our food supply count on a populace of MoNative34s. And they are right to do so.
OOOOOhhhhhh... If I was just as intellectual and smart as you!!

I'm for letting the individual decide what they eat and what they don't. If you don't get that concept, perhaps "intellectual inability" belongs to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
Leave it to a New Yorker to ramble in their own liberal nanny state worshiping self importance.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's nothing new. They've been celebrating it for more than 5 hundred years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, doncha know.

20yrsinBranson
Would anyone consider the women in that painting "obese"? I think they considered themselves healthy and well fed, which is why they were attractive. Skinny was for starving people.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Would anyone consider the women in that painting "obese"?
For their time, doubtful. For OUR time? Doubtless. Social context is everything, always has been, always will be.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
OOOOOhhhhhh... If I was just as intellectual and smart as you!!
On this we agree.

Quote:
I'm for letting the individual decide what they eat and what they don't. If you don't get that concept, perhaps "intellectual inability" belongs to you.
An individual should have the ability to choose affordable foods which are not laden with chemicals and sugars. But I'll just re-read the first sentence of this post you've made as a reminder of why this makes no sense to you.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
I read books, so sue me.

But ya know, it's a free country, you can read books too.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Then I'm willing to entertain the notion that the chubby women in my mom's late 50s/early 60s yearbooks were cultural anomalies...when I do look through photos from that generation, I see a range of sizes and shapes, I really do.

I am completely with you on the issues having to do with our food sources and marketing, and fully recognize that this comes into play on why so many MORE people are overweight. I've studied this as well, as well as the cultural/lifestyle changes that went hand in hand in the last 60 years that led to a market for cheap, fast, calorie-laden food.

At the same time, though, regardless of the fact that there was not an obesity epidemic in, say, the 1950s, there were still people of all shapes and sizes. Everyone wasn't slim. It's just that the majority were not morbidly obese. There does seem to be a pervasive mentality, too, among some (both on here and elsewhere that if you're not slim, you're morbidly obese. No middle ground.
No they weren't chubby, they were so fat they were worthy of ridicule. "Chubby" was the need to lose five pounds back in the day. When I was a kid, the child who was 10+ pounds overweight was tormented. Hell just look at the poster for the movie Stand By Me which came out in 1986. Jerry O'Connell played the fat kid and the other boys in the movie let him have it! Check him out in this, and tell me how he compares to today's "chubby" kids. He's the one on the far left:

http://kensingtoncafesd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/stand.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty