Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,166,536 times

Advertisements

Oh my. There is no style down here in this rural community of NM. Everyone and I mean everyone wears old jeans (tapered legs), tee shirts, sweat shirts--ugh. Dressing up means wearing a western shirt maybe with native jewelry and a nice cowboy hat. I can't get used to it coming from a city where one dresses up to go grocery shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Just walked around NYC 3 weeks ago and wool pea coats were out in full force! North Face seemed to only be worn by tourists that were gathering near 30 Rock/5th Ave.
Yep, I was in NYC over Christmas, and more pea coats and wool than nylon, for sure.

I've always worn a pea coat, but mine is actual Naval issue, not a "military-inspired" coat.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,034,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well it's winter and in Chicago it seems like every other white collar yuppie type (men & women) has a North Face jacket. Wool pea coats also remain popular, but with perhaps more modern styling than before. Is this also true in other cold weather cities; like NYC, Philly, or Boston?
Even here in San Francisco (which does get surprisingly cold), the pea coats are still uber popular! My favorite coat happens to be a black wool pea coat, with two buttons around the chest - kind of flares out a little below the buttons, and stops right around my hips. Loves it.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,435,637 times
Quote:
Wool pea coats also remain popular, but with perhaps more modern styling than before. Is this also true in other cold weather cities; like NYC, Philly, or Boston?
Wool pea coats are always out in force in the winter, at least in the northeast. They are a classic.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM

100 posts, read 427,984 times
I live in a big college town with lots of "diversity"
Men: peacoats, Raybans, skinny jeans -OR- flatbill hats and Jordan shorts
Women: Uggs, leggings

Popular Brands here: Northface, True Religion, Ralph Lauren, Nike

Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,562,356 times
Portland, Oregon. In Style - From the look of things it would appear dressing as a homeless person is in fashion here. Its difficult to tell who is homeless, since there are so many people dressed exactly the same. Dirty and Unkept looking.

Out of Style - Any outfit that would make one appear, as if they have gainful employment or have the ambition to look for employment. Basically any outfit that would give the signal, that the person takes pride in their appearance even if casually dressed. Very sloppy depressing looking styles and outfits in Portland, OR.

In other words I have heard of casual dress and that appeals to me, but this city is ridiculous for its outfits. Many dress as if they have worn the same clothes day after day. Im not sure if its to make a statement, since many of these poorly dressed people are covered in body art and piercings. Very strange population.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 PM

8,350 posts, read 13,496,542 times
Leggings should be illegal! Regardless of its color, it makes women hella sexy, to the point that it drives me insane.

If I see a chick wearing leggings, I have to look the other way!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,582,106 times
I am happy that over sized clothes is finally going away & clothes that fits are being worn more often. Its always interesting to see what people are wearing across the country. I live in the southeast region of the country. Im a fan of Real Hip Hop & Jazz....house music is becoming cool too.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,582,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I live in the Midwest.

What's popular here is a generic version of what was popular on either coast 6-12 months ago. Always been that way, always will.

I don't do popular, I do basic/classic.
Basic/Classic! I like that term....can you give us an example?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 AM

37,715 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Well it's winter and in Chicago it seems like every other white collar yuppie type (men & women) has a North Face jacket. Wool pea coats also remain popular, but with perhaps more modern styling than before. Is this also true in other cold weather cities; like NYC, Philly, or Boston?
It's certainly true here. I'm glad pea coats are back - I love them! North Face has been gaining popularity for years. - nothing new about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty