Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 PM

236 posts, read 860,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes. It looks like it's important to you to be seen with something that some people will think is designer. Which is something I could care less about. If it WERE important to me, I'd just wait for a good deal on a real label.
Ah, an understandable statement. But for me it's not what everyone else thinks. I could care less if they think my bag is real or fake. I would know if it was fake, and I don't like fake things. I would feel like I just insulted the people who designed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
An "insult to the brand" sounds silly to me - I don't care about the feelings of Juicy Couture (and I suspect Juicy Couture doesn't care about me).

It's insulting because Juicy(or whatever brand) won't be getting your money. It's insulting because buying fakes gives the sellers profits, enabling them to sell more fakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
I have a purse that I bought at a fair. I bought it because I liked it and the price was right. $30.00 I have gotten a ton of compliments on it and well-dressed women are constantly saying. "Oh! It's a XXX!". So I've come to realise it's a knock off. I don't care. I like it.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,320,700 times
I personally would not buy a knockoff but I don't care if other people do. I think the couture stuff is a rip-off anyways so it's only natural that others would find ways to in turn rip them off.

For stuff like shampoo and conditioner, I would definitely buy the generic/fake brand. I guess that's not illegal.

I got an "inspired" wedding dress which did not copy the exact pattern, color or design, and that certainly did not have a fake label stitched into it, but I sure saved 4.7k on a 5k dream dress.
http://my-weddingdream.com/wp-conten...al-gowns-2.jpg

Last edited by miyu; 02-12-2011 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,864,435 times
Just buy what you like - easy peasy. DON'T be a slave to a brand (they are all made in China).

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just buy what you like - easy peasy. DON'T be a slave to a brand (they are all made in China).
I agree

I don't support the idea of buying from criminal sellers of knock-offs, but I don't support the idea of buying a product from a brand just for the sake of flaunting it to everyone.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,650,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
For the past couple of months I have been lusting after a Juicy Couture handbag. Literally dreaming and fantasising about holding that beauty in my arms.

I finally told my mom about the feelings I have for the brand. She started making jokes that she was going to buy me a fake one, and that I would never know the difference. Well, I would.

I believe if you truly like a brand, you won't buy knockoffs. Knockoffs are an insult to the brand. If I bought a fake would Juicy Couture get my money? NO!

And fakes aren't even in good quality. There's usually a misprint, or obviously messed up stitching!

How do you all feel about knockoff brands? Not just purses, but ANYTHING!

Clothes, I guess knock-offs depend on the individual knock-off. Other item such as tools and the likes, a knock-off is junk and not worth the money wasted on it. Fake Craftsman or Snap-On? NO WAY!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,201,895 times
I think its ridiculous to care about a brand - unless looking for the quality of a particular feature. I absolutely hate all the "logos" plastered on things. I feel as if I'm paying that maker to advertise for them... I'm not impressed by the fact anyone has xyz brand of a purse/shoe/car/clothing/etc.. and people who make a big deal out of it - I just want to give them a shiny gold star and let them know how important their opinion is on something so irrelevant is. *yeah*

Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I think its ridiculous to care about a brand - unless looking for the quality of a particular feature. I absolutely hate all the "logos" plastered on things. I feel as if I'm paying that maker to advertise for them... I'm not impressed by the fact anyone has xyz brand of a purse/shoe/car/clothing/etc.. and people who make a big deal out of it - I just want to give them a shiny gold star and let them know how important their opinion is on something so irrelevant is. *yeah*
I think it depends on the product. While I do hate the brand logos on things, I would pick a more brand name product for a particular item rather than a no name one just because I trust what I'm paying for is the quality. Especially when it deals with electronics or household appliances.

Though, as far as clothes go, I wouldn't pay tons of money just for the brand. If it looks great and I think it's worth it, then sure, I'll get one or two if it's within my budget. But buying brand name for the sake of the brand is just silly

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times
Eh. Quality can be had without a high-end label. It's all about being able to identify quality. Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it's no good. Not just in relation to clothes, but there are loads of companies out there, and my not being familiar with them from a name recognition standpoint generally means very little about the quality of what they produce. Could just mean that I'm not especially informed about that particular company.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,322,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just buy what you like - easy peasy. DON'T be a slave to a brand
I agree. Branding is for cattle, and I won't be following that herd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty