Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Amen, sister.

Maybe I'm confused as to who-is-who-and-who-said-what on this thread so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP mentioned a husband. At least she has one.

Imagine being 47 when you were once as popular with men as Scarlett O Hara but now the men look either through you or around you at the younger/fresher women. I haven't been picked for a date since my husband passed in 05.

Cry me a RIVER, oh beautiful ones
See now...this is a case of why its rough. An ugly girl would of developed a lot more internally because she had to. Everyone has a burden but sometimes you don't realize the price of it till later on.

Men use all women but arm candy gets used more. A life based around being pretty alone does not have a happy ending.

Ugly women usually have more female friends, are taken more seriously intellectually and are less likely to be used as a belt notch for a man pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
a lot of women think they are much more attractive than they really are because guys will always tell them they are attractive either to be nice or to get in their pants.

if anyone who is legitimately attractive complains about being attractive they are a moron.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
The OP is complaining that she is the victim of "up-and-down looks, the slights and aggressive displays of contempt", "attitude" and let's not forget "a dozen little cuts everyday" because she, in her own words, is "good looking" and a "pretty *****". She also keeps making references to a "sackcloth" she feels compelled to wear instead of more revealing or fancy clothing because of other people's attitudes.

OK. Where to start with this.

First of all, do you normally like to wear very revealing and/or attention grabbing clothing? Maybe when you do so, people are giving you "up-and-down" looks because the clothes you are wearing are screaming out for up-and-down looks.

Second of all, how arrogant is it to assume that people are slighting you, giving you attitude and displaying contempt because you are beautiful? How presumptuous.

But let's back up even further for a second--How arrogant is it to assume that you are beautiful in the first place? How pompous is it to proclaim yourself to be a "pretty *****"? Are you kidding?

It's entirely possible that you are merely conceited and not beautiful at all, and that is why people are giving you attitude. Even if you ARE beautiful, it's entirely possible that you have an ugly personality and it's that ugly personality that people are reacting to...not your self-proclaimed beauty. Who calls herself a "pretty *****"? I mean, that right there tells me something about what kind of person you are.

The audacity and smugness of the OP blows my mind.

And to proclaim that "being pretty is hard" is at once pathetic and sanctimonious. If you are truly as pretty as you claim to be, I'm sure it works to your advantage more than to your disadvantage. It's like wealthy people that are angst-ridden about their money. "Being rich is hard." "Mo' money, mo' problems."

Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Does anyone else find it funny that women are suppose to have self esteem but dare you say you are pretty then its off with your head...lol

Good god.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Does anyone else find it funny that women are suppose to have self esteem but dare you say you are pretty then its off with your head...lol

Good god.
There's having good/high self esteem and saying "Yes, I think I'm pretty!".

And then there's having a distorted perception of the magnitude of your beauty that results in a persecution complex wherein you believe people are giving you "a dozen little cuts" each day.

Big difference.

But yeah...lol.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Good god.
women get compliments all the time, even if they arent attractive. its good for them to think they are pretty but sometimes i think they have a totally out of wack perception of themselves. which is great as long as it doesnt make them obnoxious.

men get compliments very rarely. we have to live without compliments. i may get a handful of compliments a year and most of them come from my mother, my wife and my mother in law. if i am lucky, a friend of my mother's will throw a compliment my direction.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
women get compliments all the time, even if they arent attractive. its good for them to think they are pretty but sometimes i think they have a totally out of wack perception of themselves. which is great as long as it doesnt make them obnoxious.

men get compliments very rarely. we have to live without compliments. i may get a handful of compliments a year and most of them come from my mother, my wife and my mother in law. if i am lucky, a friend of my mother's will throw a compliment my direction.
I like your posts, Captain.

Chew on THAT compliment!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I like your posts, Captain.

Chew on THAT compliment!
i would rather be complimented on my appearance. sure beauty fades but you may as well enjoy it while it lasts. thanks though.

when me and my wife got to bed last night she asked me if she is still pretty even without her make up, earrings and her hair up. i was reminded of this thread and my post about guys not getting compliments but women needing them daily.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
For some of us, past a certain age, being pretty IS hard.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would rather be complimented on my appearance. sure beauty fades but you may as well enjoy it while it lasts. thanks though.

when me and my wife got to bed last night she asked me if she is still pretty even without her make up, earrings and her hair up. i was reminded of this thread and my post about guys not getting compliments but women needing them daily.
2 things:

A lot of women are taught since they were little girls that being pretty is a good thing, and more important than being smart, so it's not so weird that some people end up relying on that for their self-worth.

I wouldn't go around bragging that my wife had to drag a compliment out of me. Maybe you've been ignoring her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty