Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 94,094 times

Advertisements

Recently I thought I might go on a date or two or twenty. I don't know. So I'm in the grocery store a lot so in my case that's where I see a lot of women. First thing I look at is the ring or no ring. Gotta band on then off limits, move on. But what's with the undetermined ring or rings on the wedding hand?
I don't flipping get it and it makes me frustrated. It's on the wedding finger. To me the wedding finger is the wedding finger. I suppose that's not the case? Because sometimes you see a silver band and some other thing on the same finger and think no way is that a wedding band. That thing looks like it was a bubble gum prize. But maybe it is! I don't flipping know!
So ladies do you wear things on your wedding finger? Why? Why would women wear something on their wedding finger if they are not married? I'm sure you known guys are confused easily.
If you do see a ring on the finger but looks like something other than a wedding ring or an engagement ring than what are the guidelines with the ring code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on a ring. I know I wouldn't. I'd rather spend it on a nice honeymoon. Memories are more precious than rings to me. And if you see a ring on that finger, just assume and move on. What's the point in fretting over it?

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting ting View Post
Recently I thought I might go on a date or two or twenty. I don't know. So I'm in the grocery store a lot so in my case that's where I see a lot of women. First thing I look at is the ring or no ring. Gotta band on then off limits, move on. But what's with the undetermined ring or rings on the wedding hand?
I don't flipping get it and it makes me frustrated. It's on the wedding finger. To me the wedding finger is the wedding finger. I suppose that's not the case? Because sometimes you see a silver band and some other thing on the same finger and think no way is that a wedding band. That thing looks like it was a bubble gum prize. But maybe it is! I don't flipping know!
So ladies do you wear things on your wedding finger? Why? Why would women wear something on their wedding finger if they are not married? I'm sure you known guys are confused easily.
If you do see a ring on the finger but looks like something other than a wedding ring or an engagement ring than what are the guidelines with the ring code?
Not all wedding bands look like wedding bands.

Also, some women just prefer to wear a ring on the left hand instead of the right. Maybe their fingers are different sizes and it fits better on the left hand. Maybe they're right-handed and do a lot of work with a computer mouse and don't want to hear "tink, tink, tink" all day. And maybe they just don't want strange men approaching them every time they go out the front door.

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I wear a claddagh on my left ring finger. I've worn it there since I got it when I was 18 years old, and I'm not married. There's no way to know if somebody is married or not, unless they tell you. I've been asked if I'm married. I tell them no, but that I do have a boyfriend.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,970 times
Quote:
I do wear a ring on my "wedding finger" because I was so used to having my engagement ring and wedding band on, that after my divorce, the lack of anything on that finger was a constant reminder of what I'd gone through. So I bought myself a ring - one that does not look like a wedding band (at least I don't think so?) - just so I could get rid of that "phantom wedding band" feeling. I wear rings on my other fingers on that hand, as well, and on my right hand, too.

I'm long past the divorce (2007), but I just like rings. They're nothing more than a decoration, like any other kind of jewelry would be, now.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I'm married and don't wear rings at all. Mine was lost several years ago when we moved, we never replaced it, and they bug me anyway.

I say go for it--but roll with it if she's taken. Chat her up a little, look at her hand and say, "I notice the ring, but can't tell ... are you married?" If she's not, great. If she is, just smile and say, "I should have known." If it's an obvious wedding-ring-looking ring, then don't unless you really have chutzpah. If she's single and happens to wear a solitaire ring on her wedding finger, then she either wants to be left alone or she's really dumb, and you don't want either of those.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I don`t wear mine, because of my job. I don`t want to take a chance on scratching one of my patients.
I guess if you see a woman that catches your eye, ask her!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm married and don't wear rings at all. Mine was lost several years ago when we moved, we never replaced it, and they bug me anyway.

I say go for it--but roll with it if she's taken. Chat her up a little, look at her hand and say, "I notice the ring, but can't tell ... are you married?" If she's not, great. If she is, just smile and say, "I should have known." If it's an obvious wedding-ring-looking ring, then don't unless you really have chutzpah. If she's single and happens to wear a solitaire ring on her wedding finger, then she either wants to be left alone or she's really dumb, and you don't want either of those.
I suppose that is a whole ice breaking little conversation in itself. Which is a good thing. Actually, a great opening liner. Too bad it goes to girls with rings.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I suppose that is a whole ice breaking little conversation in itself. Which is a good thing. Actually, a great opening liner. Too bad it goes to girls with rings.
"He's a lucky man" is another nice, flirty thing to say. But I know that doesn't help you figure out which chicks are single.

But think about it from our point of view. You men are even less likely to wear rings--an engagement ring, for example. We're not sure if it's OK to flirt with you, either.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

But think about it from our point of view. You men are even less likely to wear rings--an engagement ring, for example. We're not sure if it's OK to flirt with you, either.
From our side, of course it's ok. And I happen to have chutzpah when I turn it on!
I did however just learn in a video from a prior post that I am one of those nothing guys. Apparently the guys with the gimmick of sorts are getting it all. I never realized I am the denim middle of the road guy. How interesting. I'm not the rocker, the jock, the biker, the this, the that. I'm just mr plain.
My plan- become the something guy and get to the bottom of every ring.
I need a gimmick. I may have to become Nikki Sixx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty